PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter Announces that he will retire this year

bigtrain
02-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Just read that Derek Jeter has announced that 2014 will be his last season as a player. I hope he will go out with a good year but not sure I like the phenomenon of a farewell tour that seems to have developed in baseball a la Chipper Jones and Mariano Rivera. Thoughts?

AMBST95
02-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Just read that Derek Jeter has announced that 2014 will be his last season as a player. I hope he will go out with a good year but not sure I like the phenomenon of a farewell tour that seems to have developed in baseball a la Chipper Jones and Mariano Rivera. Thoughts?

I don't mind the farewell tour. It backfires when you announce it and then trip on a ball, like Rivera, and then have to do it all over again. I am a big Ripken fan, and his was the first huge farewell tour I can remember. The other owners have to love it, because it's basically free advertising to come see your team play the Yankees.

MyGuyTy
02-12-2014, 02:19 PM
I don't mind farewell tours at all, gives the fans a chance all season to see him knowing for sure it's the last time. This one brings a tear to my eye as Jeter has been my favorite Yankee since "The Hit Man". Obviously as a fan I hope he goes out with a bang, big season with big numbers and one final WS ring ;)

steve B
02-12-2014, 02:36 PM
I think the whole farewell tour thing is pretty cool.

I'm a Red Sox fan, but I'll miss Jeter. I never bought the "
greatest ever" stuff, he's great but the Yankees have had so many truly great players I just can't put him there.

But while I loved getting into the "Nomars better" chant, I have to admit that he's one of the Yankees it was hard to actually dislike. He played the game right, with a bit of old fashioned recklessness. Like the crash into the stands in Fenway when he cut his head. Not many modern players would do that. Most wouldn't even have the range to make the play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28NjeVnoORc

Steve B

7nohitter
02-13-2014, 05:54 AM
But while I loved getting into the "Nomars better" chant, I have to admit that he's one of the Yankees it was hard to actually dislike. He played the game right, with a bit of old fashioned recklessness. Like the crash into the stands in Fenway when he cut his head. Not many modern players would do that. Most wouldn't even have the range to make the play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28NjeVnoORc

Steve B

Totally agree, Steve. As a Red Sox fan it's hard to hate this guy...he is classy and handles himself well. No doubt he will get a standing O in each of the final 3 games in Boston!

7nohitter
02-13-2014, 06:14 AM
Just wondering....will the Yankees retire his number while he is still playing?? Maybe during his final homestand?

Has any player ever had his number retired, only to come back and wear it?

HRBAKER
02-13-2014, 09:37 AM
This is what the 24/7 media has made the game about, the larger than life players. Not saying he isn't a team guy, he sure appears to be a great team first guy. But these guys are so used to being fawned over and served since the first person notices that they may be extraordinary. I could not care less about these victory laps, he's been celebrated for 20+ years now.

These are Made for TV events of the ESPN age.

02-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Steiner Sports' factories are already working triple overtime.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately it's about 3 years too late.