PDA

View Full Version : Mickey mantle street sign

CrazyDiamond
02-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Picked this up. Anyone know the value. I have a letter from city of commerce, Oklahoma stating it is from mickey mantles hometown and used to mark mickey mantle boulevard

gnaz01
02-09-2014, 04:17 AM
Post a picture of the letter please. I know of a memorabilia store at my local mall that sells these things too.

ruth-gehrig
02-09-2014, 10:11 AM
I bought 2 of these from the city. I believe they sold them right after his death to raise money for some project or something. They were somewhat limited I just don't remember how many they made.

CrazyDiamond
02-09-2014, 10:39 AM
I bought it thinking if it's worth something - it's a bonus. It displays really nice. I will post a picture of the letter as soon as I get home .

I'm also not sure how many were made. I seen one at a baseball card show and the dealer wanted 2000 for it. I figured that is extremely overpriced but that raised my curiosity about its value.

I am a big mantle fan so I figured I had to have one

daves_resale_shop
02-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Admittedly, I find the sign to be pretty cool and wouldn't mind owning one my self.

My initial though was that it was an original street sign from Commerce (there is both a Mickey Mantle Blvd, and A North Mickey Mantle Blvd)..

I then did some additional digging... It appears that they sold these 1 month after Mickey's death... They were apparently sold for fundraising purposes by the city of commerce (OK City bombin?)... They were each sold with a raised seal numbered certificate from the City of Commerce. The two that I found were numbered 400 & 1102 respectively, so my guess is that they sold a run of 1500 or so...

The primary difference between the ones sold for charity and the originals that were mounted to street poles is that the ones mounted to Poles have a period (.) at the end of blvd, the ones sold do not..

They also seem to lack he traditional upper and lower lip that you commonly find on street signs...

Very cool sign, but it doesn't look like they hold a ton of value.

CrazyDiamond
02-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think it was extremely valuable. But I wasn't sure..

It is pretty cool though.

deb1308
08-13-2015, 10:31 AM
I have one of the Mickey Mantle Blvd signs and a letter from the town of Commerce with a official seal from the town. Do you know if there is a market for this signs?

murphusa
08-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Cites, States etc can make these all the time
Actual cost is about $12.00 each for material etc

odds that it ever was outside on a pole, 0%