PDA

View Full Version : Help with an Addie Joss autograph

edtiques
02-07-2014, 03:19 AM
Hi guys...I just recently picked this 3 x 4 inch photo up and was wondering if it might be an Addie Joss signature.I couldn't find an example when I searched for it.I know there's some very knowledgeable people here and any help or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks...Ed

Scott Garner
02-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Hi Ed,
This is definitely not Addie Joss's autograph. The photo was produced in/ or around the 1940 time period.

Addie Joss died in 1911 of tubercular meningitis at age 31. His autograph is one of the rarest of all of the players in the HOF.

I saw this on eBay as well and actually wondered if this was Addie Joss's wife's handwriting and compared it to a vintage example of her handwriting that I bought from Jim Stinson a number of years ago. It's close, but I determined that it is not a match to hers either.

Still, a very cool pickup that I was tempted to go after myself.

I hope this helps..

edtiques
02-07-2014, 05:15 AM
Hi Scott,
Thank you for the information.I knew that his signature was very rare,but I was hoping it might be his because I hadn't seen his signature until just a couple of minutes ago after I started the thread.I found a thread from back in 2012 here on Net54 that showed a postcard that had his signature.
Thanks again, Ed

JimStinson
02-07-2014, 05:28 PM
The photo post dates his death, There are only three known authentic Addie Joss signatures that exist in the world , to the best of my knowledge and to make things more complicated in my opinion there are two variations , both authentic but different.

Vintage autographs for sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com

old13man
02-07-2014, 09:04 PM
I would never question your expertise Jim (I know your one of the best) but how is there only three? I know he is extremely rare but couldn't there be any government documents or land deeds or something? I guess my question is why did Addie Joss sign his name on such few documents or anything else during his time as a ballplayer?

JimStinson
02-08-2014, 05:39 AM
I don't know , other than to say that he died 103 years ago in 1911 at the age of 31. He is the only member of the Hall of Fame who's career lasted less than 10 years.

He was not inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame until 1978 , so practically speaking his autograph would have had little monetary value for the 67 years prior to his induction less incentive for someone to save one if they had one. During that time there were two World Wars and a Depression, many private companies went out of business and their records were destroyed.

While its entirely possible other Addie Joss autographs are or were out there , even in institutions Most buildings of the day especially in the mid west were wood frame and coal heated. It was not uncommon for them to just burn to the ground.

Vintage autographs For Sale Daily on my web site
stinsonsports.com

Scott Garner
02-08-2014, 07:00 AM
Jim,
Everything that you mentioned is so true.

I would also like to mention that Addie Joss's family home on Fulton St. in Toledo, OH was in a huge house fire in the 1940's or 1950's. All of the Joss family scrapbooks, documents, etc., etc. were lost to eternity as none survived. Today the lot, where his family home once sat, is empty as it was never rebuilt.