PDA

View Full Version : Bill Bryson

sealmark2
02-05-2014, 07:10 PM
If you are a reader of Bill Bryson his book "One Summer" is a great read. But.. he mentions in the book that many Babe Ruth autographs had been signed by others. Now, I am not taking a position one way or another, but if I were a collector of autographs, which I am not, I would be careful purchasing the Babe's signed material. Just a thought.

Mark

t206blogcom
02-05-2014, 07:22 PM
I think that's pretty well known about Ruth autos, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Bryson is a great author. My favorite of his works is 'A Walk In The Woods (http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Rediscovering-America-Appalachian/dp/0307279464/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391653230&sr=8-1&keywords=bill+bryson+walk+in+the+woods)'. I highly recommend it.

Peter_Spaeth
02-05-2014, 07:35 PM
If you are a reader of Bill Bryson his book "One Summer" is a great read. But.. he mentions in the book that many Babe Ruth autographs had been signed by others. Now, I am not taking a position one way or another, but if I were a collector of autographs, which I am not, I would be careful purchasing the Babe's signed material. Just a thought.

Mark

I'm not worried, I am sure the expert authenticators can tell Babe's real sig from that of the clubhouse boys who apparently signed many balls requested of him. :D:D

Runscott
02-05-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm with Peter on this one - just buy whatever you like, send it to PSA or JSA, and if it comes back good, then it's good. If not, get a refund. Was that simple or what?

...now back to our regularly-scheduled John and Peter saga.

ibuysportsephemera
02-05-2014, 08:02 PM
I think that's pretty well known about Ruth autos, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Bryson is a great author. My favorite of his works is 'A Walk In The Woods (http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Rediscovering-America-Appalachian/dp/0307279464/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391653230&sr=8-1&keywords=bill+bryson+walk+in+the+woods)'. I highly recommend it.

Agreed, I loved "A Walk in the Woods".

Jeff

honus94566
02-05-2014, 08:07 PM
"A short history of nearly everything" and "at home" are also both fascinating reads. One of the best authors out there IMO.

familytoad
02-05-2014, 10:09 PM
I got hooked on Bryson a couple years ago, Back when I read more than just N54:D

A Walk in the Woods actually inspired me to get out more and...yep, walk in the woods. That's how I spend many spring and summer weekends, usually in the Mt St Helens area.

I read 2 others as well, "i'm a stranger here myself" and "the life and times of the Thunderbolt Kid"

Fantastic author, but not likely an expert autograph authenticator.
He's probably just relaying conventional conspiracies.

Of course Babe Ruth autos are being faked! They are valuable, desirable items. The scammers wouldn't make money selling fake autographs from me or you.
Duh!:cool:

glenv
02-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Haven't read "One Summer" yet, but "A Walk in the Woods" and "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" are great reads. Not by Bryson, but another good hiking book is "Halfway to Heaven" - about an out of shape older guy (kind of like a lot of us?) that decides to do every Colorado 14er in a year. Sorry if I got too far off topic...