PDA

View Full Version : Odd grading on this Gehrig

GregMitch34
02-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Perusing this week's Sterling auction--closes tomorrow night--I came across this Gehrig w517, PSA 4. Now, I happen to own the same in PSA 5 so I always keep an eye on all the w517s. Am I crazy or is this almost the first time we've seen that issue, any player, with the border totally gone that gets PSA graded at all, let alone a PSA 4? If anything they are harshly graded, as merely Auth, with the need for wide, uniform borders. And no, this is not a "mini", which has narrow borders, and it's blank back, so it's not some kind of postcard. My only guess is that PSA used to grade the handcuts without so much regard to borders? Or a grader forgot their border rule. Or am I off on this?

But it sure looks nice in the holder instead of the usual oversized-with-plastic.
http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131458&stc=1&d=1391617487

GehrigFan
02-05-2014, 10:25 AM
This should absolutely never have been graded. An Authentic-Altered, yes, but a numerical grade, no. Has to be grader error. None of the three main companies would give a card like this a numerical grade normally. Yikes.

ullmandds
02-05-2014, 10:37 AM
pathetic!

brianp-beme
02-05-2014, 11:02 AM
I think PSA did a Very Good to Excellent job making sure this card fit in their normal size holder.

Brian