PDA

View Full Version : Sold your cards to fund......

Tao_Moko
02-04-2014, 08:41 PM
I've been parting with some of my scarcer cards to fund home renovations in preparation for a nursery area and other wife "needs". Now that some of my tougher cards are gone it's depressing to look at my collection.:(

What non-baseball related items have you funded with the money from sold pre war cards?

Brian Van Horn
02-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Eric,

Just remember a happy wife takes priority.

glchen
02-04-2014, 08:47 PM
a minivan for family, necklace as birthday present for wife

caramelcard
02-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Guitars and other instruments.

Tao_Moko
02-04-2014, 08:51 PM
a minivan for family, necklace as birthday present for wife

Want to sell your van? Looks like I might end up needing one. It is a VW bus right?

Cardboard Junkie
02-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Sold a lot a few years ago to finance my daughters internship at The Louvre.
Then another bunch recently, to start moving away from collecting and to buy some toys:D. (Little sports car and farm equipment.)

t206blogcom
02-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Selling much of mine to help fund a new home purchase. It took me around a year or so before I could muster the courage to start listing my T206's. Now I'm letting just about everything go! :eek:

Bicem
02-04-2014, 09:03 PM
nothing comes to mind.

MyGuyTy
02-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Then another bunch recently, to start moving away from collecting and to buy some toys:D. (Little sports car and farm equipment.)

Been down the selling cards to fund sports car road.......Never again. Ended up a losing proposition all around. Ridiculously high maint costs, higher insurance due to it being an exotic, speeding tickets, going through tires at a blistering pace, the need to spend money on "upgrades", arguments with the wife due to high rate of speed, and fearing if I kept it and passed it down to my son, he'd end up killing himself in it..........I should have kept the cards :rolleyes:

Tao_Moko
02-04-2014, 09:26 PM
nothing comes to mind.

I'm guessing your wife has never wanted Swedish made hanging cradles and mid-century modern furniture for the nursery.

drmondobueno
02-04-2014, 09:29 PM
In 1985 to pay for a divorce attorney. I can tell you selling the collection for any reason to help my family today would be much more preferable to those bad old days. Consider the positives! All those cards will be out there for you when you get around to them again.

Peace and best wishes

Keith

Cardboard Junkie
02-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Been down the selling cards to fund sports car road.......Never again. Ended up a losing proposition all around. Ridiculously high maint costs, higher insurance due to it being an exotic, speeding tickets, going through tires at a blistering pace, the need to spend money on "upgrades", arguments with the wife due to high rate of speed, and fearing if I kept it and passed it down to my son, he'd end up killing himself in it..........I should have kept the cards :rolleyes:

Mines just a little tootsie toy, and didn't cost much. Cheap to maintain and a million miles per gallon. Ins. is 4oo/yr, and it's got new tires. Also I'm almost 63 and never got a ticket in my life. Already been offered more than I paid. I think I'll be OK.:) But I see what your saying

MyGuyTy
02-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Mines just a little tootsie toy, and didn't cost much. Cheap to maintain and a million miles per gallon. Ins. is 4oo/yr, and it's got new tires. Also I'm almost 63 and never got a ticket in my life. Already been offered more than I paid. I think I'll be OK.:) But I see what your saying

Smart choice on car, little invested, fun, economical and won't make you lose your breath when you're handed a five figure maint bill ;)

midwaylandscaping
02-04-2014, 09:57 PM
I collected pretty hardcore from 1984-2000. Late 2000, my Mom developed some serious health issues, as things were with my own life going I had one option left to me to help her: Sell my collection. So I did, and would do it again tomorrow if I had to. And in 2000 unlike now, one could get $80 for a PSA 9 1987 Donruss Greg Maddux, or $80 for a PSA 9 86 Donruss Canseco rookie. It hurt to part with everything for maybe 10 seconds. Looking back now, best collecting decision ever made on my part from that standpoint. And all is well with Mom, still kicking at 81 :)

slipk1068
02-04-2014, 10:05 PM
The family and I spent 9 days in Disney about 15 years ago when my daughter was 6. It was worth it. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything (well almost anything).

In recent years, I am slowly replacing some of what I sold.

freakhappy
02-04-2014, 10:10 PM
I collected pretty hardcore from 1984-2000. Late 2000, my Mom developed some serious health issues, as things were with my own life going I had one option left to me to help her: Sell my collection. So I did, and would do it again tomorrow if I had to. And in 2000 unlike now, one could get $80 for a PSA 9 1987 Donruss Greg Maddux, or $80 for a PSA 9 86 Donruss Canseco rookie. It hurt to part with everything for maybe 10 seconds. Looking back now, best collecting decision ever made on my part from that standpoint. And all is well with Mom, still kicking at 81 :)

Some of the best choices are things we don't want to do, but man did that work out for ya! Glad to hear Mom is still around...they mean so much to us!

slipk1068
02-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Some of the best choices are things we don't want to do, but man did that work out for ya! Glad to hear Mom is still around...they mean so much to us!

+1

glynparson
02-05-2014, 01:56 AM
4 years ago to fund my employment service. I have since bought back far more than I had prior to selling out. It was certainly the right move for me at the time. I have never regretted it for a single moment. I know have a rather successful business and a pretty nice collection.

kamikidEFFL
02-05-2014, 05:02 AM
had to sell my partial set of T205's when I lost my father. It was my first tobacco era stuff i collected and didn't want to sell but needed some money in the tough times. Speaking of that its been 3 years today since I lost my father.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-05-2014, 06:30 AM
had to sell my partial set of T205's when I lost my father. It was my first tobacco era stuff i collected and didn't want to sell but needed some money in the tough times. Speaking of that its been 3 years today since I lost my father.

Sorry to hear that. I imagine it is a tough day.

sportscardpete
02-05-2014, 07:04 AM
I have been wavering back and forth over the past few months of selling my collection to help facilitate buying a condo up in Stamford.. Commuting from Queens NY to there daily is a drag but unfortunately job relocations happen... The only thing holding me back is the feeling of regret I will probably have if/when I sell.

darwinbulldog
02-05-2014, 07:11 AM
I sold some cards to buy a Brandon Bird painting a few years ago.

deadballpaul
02-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Sold most of my best cards & postcards to fund a move, so I could be there to help my Dad who were in failing health. Funny thing was, that I got a new job a couple weeks after selling them, & the company paid for our entire move back to the Phoenix area.

packs
02-05-2014, 07:33 AM
I sold a pretty large chunk of my smaller items while I was in graduate school and supporting myself with student loans. Of course I wanted to take out the least amount of loans possible while still being able to eat and live somewhere. Still regret selling a few items but I have done pretty well for myself since completing my Masters.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-05-2014, 07:37 AM
I sold a pretty large chunk of my smaller items while I was in graduate school and supporting myself with student loans. Of course I wanted to take out the least amount of loans possible while still being able to eat and live somewhere. Still regret selling a few items but I have done pretty well for myself since completing my Masters.

Grad school expenses and student loans suck.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-05-2014, 07:40 AM
I was taking some stuff out to possibly sell the other day. My wife got upset and told me not to sell anything. She then looked up all of our finances and explained why she thought I didn't need to sell anything.

I was totally shocked. She cares about my collection and I had no idea. :eek:

Golfcollector
02-05-2014, 07:57 AM
The first time around after college, I paid for most of my studen loans and my wifes engagement ring.

The 2nd time about a year ago, I paid for a significant portion of my new home with my golf card collection:D

Leon
02-05-2014, 08:06 AM
I sold off most of my 19th century stuff because I needed the money to help a very poor business decision. My guess is I will sell more in a few years for my daughters college. It's nice that they are quite liquid..

Harliduck
02-05-2014, 08:09 AM
When I was 19 in 1989 I sold my 65 Topps Joe Namath RC and 55 Topps Sandy Koufax RC to put a downpayment on my first house. Bought the house for $69,000, sold it 4 years later for $120,000...so the cards did well! (House is worth about $600K now, on the beach on Puget Sound)

I then at the time sold a 1984 Donruss set to buys some furniture, lol.

Recently a couple of months ago I set broke a 1957 Topps set, got twice as much as expected (super high grade set) and paid for the adoption of our latest daughter (I have 4 daughters, 1 son, :)). Wife was pretty happy about that....had enough left over for a nice leather sectional to replace the old couch.

I am not much of a seller, don't like it, but through my life I have a lot of examples where cards were very key and helped with a lot of important things. One of the many reasons I have such a passion!

Harliduck
02-05-2014, 08:13 AM
IMy guess is I will sell more in a few years for my daughters college. It's nice that they are quite liquid..

I am pretty lucky and was hoping to be doing the opposite...about a month ago my daughter who is a Junior in HS got a full ride for softball...me thought I was taking her now defunct college fund and exchanging it for a nice 52 Mantle. The wife then reminded me that my 7th grade daughter blows a trumpet, doesn't swing a bat, and I may just need to put a hold on that Mantle...haha....dang kids!

srs1a
02-05-2014, 08:15 AM
I just sold a bunch of cards to fund a classic car purchase. My kids are at the perfect age to go cruising with the top down (8, 9, and 12) once the weather gets nice and my cards were sitting in a box in my closet. I'll miss the cards, but I hope I'll generate some wonderful memories. Here's my new baby -- a beautiful '71 Cutlass Supreme Convertible.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfolderssv/srs1a/miscstuff/large/top%20down%20-%20004.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfolderssv/srs1a/miscstuff/large/top%20up%20-%20004.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfolderssv/srs1a/miscstuff/large/interior%20-%20003.JPG

Vintageismygame
02-05-2014, 08:15 AM
I collected really heavy my senior year of college (2006) and for about 3 years afterwards. I was still living with my college roommate in his parents "extra" house. They furnished everything I needed and only charged me $300/mo. Man, I was able to stocked back the cash to fund my card purchases. I would advertise and buy up collections, cherry pick them and then sell off the rest to recoup my initial costs. 7 times out of 10 I made money on the overall purchase and ended up with "free" cards in my collection.

Fast forward to 2010. I had complete set runs of 1952(minus Mantle and a few other high #'s) - 1969 Topps Baseball, 1950 - 1955 Bowman Football, and 1955 - 1962 Topps Football, multiple copies of star cards (ie: Ruth and Gehrig Goudey's, Mantle, Mays, Paige, Williams - All the big names in Post-War Baseball and Football) I only had about $14k wrapped up in all this when "Boy met Girl". You all know how the story goes. Anyway, we got married in 2010 and I started selling to fund other purchases like the wedding, honeymoon, a large down payment on a house, and college fund for my daughter. Pretty much everything was sold. Do I miss it? Sure but I treasure my wife and little girl much more than I ever did those cards. Plus, I am much more focused on what I truly enjoy collecting, which at the moment is T206 cards!!

Matt

ullmandds
02-05-2014, 08:25 AM
I sold my t206 drum back solly hofman back in the early 2000's to buy a leather recliner that my cat then destroyed leading to the removal of his front claws.

That's really the only card I specifically sold to fund a non related purchase. I have and continue to sell cards to buy other cards...and I think about selling a good chunk of my collection to buy a car at times...but this would be a poor long term investment in most cases!

conor912
02-05-2014, 08:41 AM
I'm guessing your wife has never wanted Swedish made hanging cradles and mid-century modern furniture for the nursery.

I'm guessing this is your first kid....otherwise you guys would be out buying the cheapest Ikea furniture you could find. I'm sure your expensive nursery furniture will look lovely with bite marks, ketchup, sharpie, and whatever else it can get its hands on all over it. :)

ullmandds
02-05-2014, 08:47 AM
david...is that a mazdaspeed mx-5? either way...nice...i've been toying with getting one of those too...good cheap fun!

Tao...I love vintage modern furniture...but I'd have to agree with Conor...the kid(s) will eventually destroy it!!!!!

MyGuyTy
02-05-2014, 08:54 AM
I sold my t206 drum back solly hofman back in the early 2000's to buy a leather recliner that my cat then destroyed leading to the removal of his front

Wow you made out on that one huh? :eek:

Something tells me you wish you had that Drum back in your hands right now :D

MyGuyTy
02-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Tao...I love vintage modern furniture...but I'd have to agree with Conor...the kid(s) will eventually destroy it!!!!!

Kids destroy everything.......not a good idea to have anything expensive where they can put their little hands, lol. I've already replaced my 50" plasma due to my "mini me" throwing one of his heavy toys into the screen and cracking it :(

........good times.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-05-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm guessing this is your first kid....otherwise you guys would be out buying the cheapest Ikea furniture you could find. I'm sure your expensive nursery furniture will look lovely with bite marks, ketchup, sharpie, and whatever else it can get its hands on all over it. :)

Whenever the kid destroys the furniture (which is inevitable) remember that he/she is just a kid and it is just furniture.

freakhappy
02-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Beautiful '71 Cutlass! I love classics and that one seems worth it IMO...congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregMitch34
02-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Ha, yes I sold nearly all my '50s and later cards...to buy pre-war....

ullmandds
02-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Yes...it is just furniture...and it can always be refurbished! Or if IKEA...thrown away!!!!

z28jd
02-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Next month when I get back to NJ, I'm selling some cards to help my friend get back to square one. She suffered from depression after her mom died and started hanging out with the wrong crowds, which led to some legal trouble and she lost her car and her job. I helped her out a little in the Summer, but she just lost her new job because she had to move back home and has no license. So I'm going to get her to break even, give her my old car and a second chance.

So when I sell some cards in March, and I'm sure it will be someone here, whoever buys them will be helping out a really sweet girl who just made a couple bad decisions when she was vulnerable.

Cardboard Junkie
02-05-2014, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=ullmandds;1236976]david...is that a mazdaspeed mx-5? either way...nice...i've been toying with getting one of those too...good cheap fun!

It's a Mazda Miata MX5 a 1999 with only 50K bought it from a doc in Honolulu (hence the GYN plate) Unreal only 5 grand for a snazzy little ragtop. I'm Just under 6' but comfortable.
One of my lady friends is 6' 2" in her bare feet and it's a little tight!
Little tight is ok though:D

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Next month when I get back to NJ, I'm selling some cards to help my friend get back to square one. She suffered from depression after her mom died and started hanging out with the wrong crowds, which led to some legal trouble and she lost her car and her job. I helped her out a little in the Summer, but she just lost her new job because she had to move back home and has no license. So I'm going to get her to break even, give her my old car and a second chance.

So when I sell some cards in March, and I'm sure it will be someone here, whoever buys them will be helping out a really sweet girl who just made a couple bad decisions when she was vulnerable.

That is a great thing! From working in the criminal justice system I have seen countless people get into a lot trouble because there was nobody there to help them back up when they stumbled.

ullmandds
02-05-2014, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=ullmandds;1236976]david...is that a mazdaspeed mx-5? either way...nice...i've been toying with getting one of those too...good cheap fun!

It's a Mazda Miata MX5 a 1999 with only 50K bought it from a doc in Honolulu (hence the GYN plate) Unreal only 5 grand for a snazzy little ragtop. I'm Just under 6' but comfortable.

yup...nice...those miatas are great value and require very little maintenance!

MyGuyTy
02-05-2014, 09:43 AM

Oh my 6'2"......I'm sure it's worth the climb ;)

Bocabirdman
02-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Ha, yes I sold nearly all my '50s and later cards...to buy pre-war....

+1

Cardboard Junkie
02-05-2014, 10:02 AM
"I'm sure it's worth the climb."

........and the dive:eek:

steve B
02-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Sold some stuff in the mid 80's to fund a ski trip. Nothing big, a couple T206 commons and a 48 Bowman set that was mostly in poor condition.

Had a fun trip with friends, and started rebuilding the Bowmans in better condition. Still only at 12 cards, and haven't added one in a long time.

Sold off a bunch of extras and "stuff" like boxes full of rotogravure sections when my first daughter was born. Not to fund anything, but to make some room. Most of it was stuff I'd saved from lots I bought, except the roto sections. Did pretty well with most of it, and put some of the money into upgrading the 1880's house. Some new windows- made the place about 20% more efficient, just in time for oil to go up 20%. No actual savings, but kept the bill from being about 800 a year more than it is. (Yeah, big old uninsulated places use LOTS of fuel to heat) Bought a couple nice cards with the rest, an excellent swap in volume, two cards for maybe 10+ cubic feet of stuff.

I'd echo what others have said about the furniture. I mostly buy used furniture anyway.The old furniture is usually more solid than new stuff and at a much lower price.
Having stuff that crayon will clean off of without it being a huge hassle is great. Some mid century stuff would actually work well. My kids haven't trashed the furniture too much, I did have to replace one couch cushion because of ...Something leaking onto it from a diaper. :eek: But other than that they've been ok. Maybe because they're girls? I was very bad on furniture. Trimmed off the edges of all the couch cushions when I discovered scissors.
Covering cloth furniture with sheets or cheap slipcovers is also a good idea. Less worries about abandoned bits of fruit or biscuits gummed into a gooey mess wrecking the upholstery.

Steve B

Leon
02-05-2014, 10:10 AM

yes it is!~!

kamikidEFFL
02-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Sorry to hear that. I imagine it is a tough day.

Yea never a fun day each year it's just as hard as the year I lost him.

vintagetoppsguy
02-05-2014, 10:17 AM
One of my lady friends is 6' 2" in her bare feet...

Here in Houston, we have some of those as well - especially downtown. They're usually easy to spot though by their Adam's apple :D

MyGuyTy
02-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Here in Houston, we have some of those as well - especially downtown. They're usually easy to spot though by their Adam's apple :D

Lol, oh man, please tell me you didn't find out first hand :eek:

wonkaticket
02-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Leon’s breast implants but he backed out of the deal at the last minute. :)

vintagetoppsguy
02-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Leon’s breast implants but he backed out of the deal at the last minute. :)

That was the breast decision he could have made :D

Section103
02-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Lawyer fees and other bills

ullmandds
02-05-2014, 12:11 PM
I breast those would have kept him entertained for eons!

Leon
02-05-2014, 12:56 PM
That was the breast decision he could have made :D

back in the day I would end my posts on the forum with "breast regards"....I am sure a few old timers remember..

BTW, I don't need enhancement, I need reduction!!

Jason
02-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Only to fund other cards and I hate doing it then.

Runscott
02-05-2014, 01:05 PM
I bought and sold cards in the early 2000's to finance my kids' private school costs. Then I did it so I could play more golf. I recently put a few pieces up for sale that I normally wouldn't, to buy NFC Championship game tickets.

bnorth
02-05-2014, 01:19 PM
In the very early 90's I went to a gun show to look around. While looking at one table a guy sold a Walther PPK 380 to the dealer. I was broke but still asked how much he wanted for it, dealer said $350. While walking around looking at guns I found a table that the guy sold guns, old fishing gear, and baseball cards. I traded that dealer a mint 66 Topps Sandy Koufax for a .38 S&W revolver. I then traded the revolver to the first guy for the Walther.

The great part was at the time I thought it was an American made Walther PPK 380. It turned out to be a made in W Germany Walther with the original target from the factory used to test fire the gun with the guns serial # stamped on it. At the time the German made gun was selling for $1000.

This is my only card sale/trade not used to fund purchasing more cards. I figue stop while I am way ahead. I still have the gun.

Cardboard Junkie
02-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Nice move....the S&W is a Yugo.....The Walther, a Lambo!:) + you can play 007 with the ppk

97manoftroy
02-05-2014, 02:10 PM

Deepest Condolences.

I sold my entire collection HOF's from 1948-61 in 99' for the same reason. We collected together, painful to part with but had to do it. 15 years and it still isn't easy, just have to think about the good times every day.

batsballsbases
02-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Well I sold off some of the big pieces of my collection to help my oldest son in Med School. But finally it is starting to come to an end! Will graduate this August ,and not a moment to soon for my bank account! (Not to mention my collection) :D:D Would I do it again? I will let you know when Im old and feeble and have someone to take care of me!:eek::eek::D:D Top row third from the left. And believe it or not it all started with a baseball scholarship!

gregr2
02-05-2014, 02:41 PM
3 guys and 13 women!! I went into the wrong profession!

batsballsbases
02-05-2014, 02:56 PM
3 guys and 13 women!! I went into the wrong profession!

Greg,
The class of 2014 is 88 students my son tells me all the time dad we have 77 girls and 11 guys in the class!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

gregr2
02-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Greg,
The class of 2014 is 88 students my son tells me all the time dad we have 77 girls and 11 guys in the class!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

He must be one happy camper!! Congrats on the upcoming graduation!

batsballsbases
02-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Thankyou Sir!!!

Howe’s Hunter
02-05-2014, 03:07 PM
my senior year in college, I needed one hour of PE credit. Having already taken bowling and weight training, I looked the syllabus over and took badminton. Me and 31 girls. Had a great time, and met a lot of great young ladies.

Had told my son about that and he thought it was creepy. Then last year, his senior year in college, he needed one hour of PE credit. What did he take? Badminton. He and 15 girls (smaller school). Told me later was the best elective he had taken.

Dad wasn't so creepy after all.

batsballsbases
02-05-2014, 03:11 PM
my senior year in college, I needed one hour of PE credit. Having already taken bowling and weight training, I looked the syllabus over and took badminton. Me and 31 girls. Had a great time, and met a lot of great young ladies.

Had told my son about that and he thought it was creepy. Then last year, his senior year in college, he needed one hour of PE credit. What did he take? Badminton. He and 15 girls (smaller school). Told me later was the best elective he had taken.

Dad wasn't so creepy after all.

Ed,
Aint it the truth! Anytime you can have a ratio of better than 7 to 1 something good might happen !;);) If you know what I mean!;);)

DHogan
02-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I told my wife I would sell my card collection to pay medical bills due to her disablity. She said no, you've worked on it so long. I have great wife. :D

MyGuyTy
02-05-2014, 05:28 PM
I told my wife I would sell my card collection to pay medical bills due to her disablity. She said no, you've worked on it so long. I have great wife. :D

She's a saint! :)

RTK
02-05-2014, 05:29 PM
In 1985 to pay for a divorce attorney. I can tell you selling the collection for any reason to help my family today would be much more preferable to those bad old days. Consider the positives! All those cards will be out there for you when you get around to them again.

Peace and best wishes

Keith

My cousin did the same thing in the late 80's, although the collection was a shoebox collection he gathered as a kid, not T206's. Still, there were some nice cards, early 60's to maybe 1970-71. he sold them to a card shop, I wish he would have called me.

What's nice for many of you, you get to start over :)

Pete Pyro
02-05-2014, 05:54 PM
This thread is pretty great! I know it doesnt count, but I sell cards to buy more cards ;)

frankb22
02-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Broke up my HOF back run and sold a PSA7 UZIT/Marquard, a
PSA4 Drum/ Speaker and a SGC60 BL460/WalterJohnson in the
Fall REA auction. The rest of the backs go this year plus a lot of
the remaining slabbed T206s. In the process of buying a small
house just outside of Rome that I plan to retire in. The proceeds
from the cards will hopefully cover it. Killed me to have to part
with those cards but in the end it will be worth it.

almostdone
02-05-2014, 08:44 PM
The first time I sold off part of my collection to pay for my wife and my honeymoon. My wife has been more than generous helping find and replace the ones that hurt the most.
This past year I sold off half of my Hall Of a Fame collection to pay for a second honeymoon. I gave it to my wife for her 40th birthday.
Drew

Cardboard Junkie
02-05-2014, 09:07 PM
The first time I sold off part of my collection to pay for my wife and my honeymoon. My wife has been more than generous helping find and replace the ones that hurt the most.
This past year I sold off half of my Hall Of a Fame collection to pay for a second honeymoon. I gave it to my wife for her 40th birthday.
Drew

:eek: YIKES! You had to "pay for your wife"???:eek:

MyGuyTy
02-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Broke up my HOF back run and sold a PSA7 UZIT/Marquard, a
PSA4 Drum/ Speaker and a SGC60 BL460/WalterJohnson in the
Fall REA auction. The rest of the backs go this year plus a lot of
the remaining slabbed T206s. In the process of buying a small
house just outside of Rome that I plan to retire in. The proceeds
from the cards will hopefully cover it. Killed me to have to part
with those cards but in the end it will be worth it.

Those were some big time cards Frank, I remember seeing them. Good luck with your Rome endeavors, beautiful place! I'm sure those cards provided a nice chunk for you towards that house.

Tao_Moko
02-05-2014, 10:01 PM

Second kid and I'm an old gray haired grizzled up combat veteran but I've got nothing on my old lady. She's a hundred pounds of coal miners daughter and the furniture is more for her and not the nursery. The beauty of mid-century modern furniture is it's already been there and done that and built to handle it while still looking cool. We bough a FLW inspired home and have furnished it with period pieces so it's like stepping back into the mid fifties. One of her requests was to have a ceiling mounted, hanging orbit chair overlooking our wooded area while she feeds the baby. What momma wants, momma gets.

nebboy
02-06-2014, 06:04 AM
My little boys room is filled mid century modern (heywood wakefield). At 4 yrs old he has the koolest room.

ullmandds
02-06-2014, 06:06 AM
I have a heywood wakefield kohinoor dresser w/mirror in my guest room...I've always wanted a sculptura nightstand to accompany it.

The stuff is made very well!!!!

bnorth
02-06-2014, 08:20 AM
:eek: YIKES! You had to "pay for your wife"???:eek:

I have never met a man that did not PAY for his wife.:D:eek::D

MyGuyTy
02-06-2014, 08:51 AM
I have never met a man that did not PAY for his wife.:D:eek::D

Truer words have never been spoken....

brewcrewfan77
02-06-2014, 09:03 AM
I've sold some of my treasured autographed astronaut photos to buy cards, but not the other way around. Unfortunately, the cards I bought were new boxes not vintage cards. I'm still kicking myself for that.

Awhile back, my wife (who was my fiancee' at the time) and I went to meet one of her friends for dinner. Her friend remarked about how we met on Match.com and whether it was expensive. Without missing a beat and with a straight face on me; I replied "Most expensive purchase I've ever made."

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Awhile back, my wife (who was my fiancee' at the time) and I went to meet one of her friends for dinner. Her friend remarked about how we met on Match.com and whether it was expensive. Without missing a beat and with a straight face on me; I replied "Most expensive purchase I've ever made."

Hahaha

rgpete
02-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Sold some of mine to fund my "Synthetic Pension" :)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Well I sold off some of the big pieces of my collection to help my oldest son in Med School. But finally it is starting to come to an end! Will graduate this August ,and not a moment to soon for my bank account! (Not to mention my collection) :D:D Would I do it again? I will let you know when Im old and feeble and have someone to take care of me!:eek::eek::D:D Top row third from the left. And believe it or not it all started with a baseball scholarship!

Good luck to your son in the match. My wife is in her first year of residency. I remember that whole process and would not want to do it again.

shernan30
02-06-2014, 05:03 PM
My wife is in here 3rd year of med school. It's been one of the toughest things we have been though together. Can't wait for it to be over so we can enjoy each other.

kkkkandp
02-06-2014, 06:55 PM
I sold a pretty rare Old Judge card to partially fund the repairs we need to make to our house at the New Jersey shore that suffered extensive damages from Super Storm Sandy. Sadly, that's a card I will likely never be able to replace. :(

conor912
02-06-2014, 06:59 PM
What momma wants, momma gets.

Too true :)

seablaster
02-06-2014, 07:21 PM
My wife is in here 3rd year of med school. It's been one of the toughest things we have been though together. Can't wait for it to be over so we can enjoy each other.

I hate to deliver the bad news Steven, but medical school is a joke compared to the number of hours you put in as a resident.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-06-2014, 07:54 PM
I hate to deliver the bad news Steven, but medical school is a joke compared to the number of hours you put in as a resident.

Agreed. What type of doctor are you?

eliminator
02-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Sold some vintage cards early last year to purchase and install new Legendary interior in my 1973 Dodge Charger hemi orange 440/4 speed.

My wife never wanted to drive in the charger so I sold the charger late last summer and bought a 2002 Chevrolet Corvette convertible, with the rarer white exterior and red interior color combination. She loves the car and drove it as much as she could before it was stored for the winter. We also spent a lot of time driving it on Saturday's last fall. So I guess I have some vintage card money in my corvette!

Cardboard Junkie
02-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Well, let's see a picture of that bad boy!:D

eliminator
02-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Well, let's see a picture of that bad boy!:D

Here is a photo of the corvette in my frigid garage as it's currently about -5 Fahrenheit outside.

I also attached a picture of the 1973 Charger I sold to buy it. I don't know if there are any muscle car fans on net54 but it was pretty cool and fun shifting the pistol grip shifter.

z28jd
02-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Here is a photo of the corvette in my frigid garage as it's currently about -5 Fahrenheit outside.

I also attached a picture of the 1973 Charger I sold to buy it. I don't know if there are any muscle car fans on net54 but it was pretty cool and fun shifting the pistol grip shifter.

There are a lot of muscle car fans on here, we had a thread one time. I've owned at various times:

64 Nova SS
69 Z/28 with the original 302 and M22
69 Yenko clone 427 with 560 HP
69 Chevelle L78
80 Z/28 with a 454

At one time, I had an 86 trans-am, 87 monte carlo SS, the Chevelle and a 68 Camaro 327 powerglide trans. Still have the Camaro, which I've owned half my life and a 46 Chevy pickup.

If we ever start the opposite of this thread, I sold a couple of these cars to buy cards!

eliminator
02-07-2014, 08:05 PM
There are a lot of muscle car fans on here, we had a thread one time. I've owned at various times:

64 Nova SS
69 Z/28 with the original 302 and M22
69 Yenko clone 427 with 560 HP
69 Chevelle L78
80 Z/28 with a 454

At one time, I had an 86 trans-am, 87 monte carlo SS, the Chevelle and a 68 Camaro 327 powerglide trans. Still have the Camaro, which I've owned half my life and a 46 Chevy pickup.

If we ever start the opposite of this thread, I sold a couple of these cars to buy cards!

Those are some really nice muscle cars. Here is a video of a 1972 Dodge Challenger supercharged 360 that I owned a few years ago. The video was of it leaving from Miami being delivered to me. That blower shop blower sounded awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ4bCCmr6Uw

My first car was a 1969 Chevy Camaro, 327/4speed in high school. I sold it to buy a 1970 Dodge Charger, Hemi orange, 440/4speed, white interior my senior year of high school. I sold it to a guy in Wisconsin back in 1984 with a blown (damaged not supercharged) engine. IF YOU HAVE THIS CAR I WANT IT BACK!!!! I have been looking for it the last ten years. I have loved mopars ever since but I do love all muscle cars.

I bought a 1969 1/2 440-6pack roadrunner back in 1999 (non matching numbers original 6 pack body restored Arizona body) for $9500 and sold it $11,500 in 2001-THAT WAS STUPID!!!

I was into power boats from 2003-2011 having last owned a 2001 eliminator 300 eagle vhull with twin mercury racing 500 EFI's. The boat's top gps speed was 93 MPH. I could have bought a low grade 52 mantle for the gas that went through that boat each season. But I wouldn't take it back-it was a blast!

Thanks for the response I love your car pics. Tom

z28jd
02-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Those are some really nice muscle cars. Here is a video of a 1972 Dodge Challenger supercharged 360 that I owned a few years ago. The video was of it leaving from Miami being delivered to me. That blower shop blower sounded awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ4bCCmr6Uw

My first car was a 1969 Chevy Camaro, 327/4speed in high school. I sold it to buy a 1970 Dodge Charger, Hemi orange, 440/4speed, white interior my senior year of high school. I sold it to a guy in Wisconsin back in 1984 with a blown (damaged not supercharged) engine. IF YOU HAVE THIS CAR I WANT IT BACK!!!! I have been looking for it the last ten years. I have loved mopars ever since but I do love all muscle cars.

I bought a 1969 1/2 440-6pack roadrunner back in 1999 (non matching numbers original 6 pack body restored Arizona body) for $9500 and sold it $11,500 in 2001-THAT WAS STUPID!!!

I was into power boats from 2003-2011 having last owned a 2001 eliminator 300 eagle vhull with twin mercury racing 500 EFI's. The boat's top gps speed was 93 MPH. I could have bought a low grade 52 mantle for the gas that went through that boat each season. But I wouldn't take it back-it was a blast!

Thanks for the response I love your car pics. Tom

You would love the car my dad has. Fully restored 1967 GTX Hemi 4-speed. He has talked about selling it(not for sale now) and I actually thought about selling off a good part of my card collection to get it. I would have had a good story for this thread if that happened!

Nice Challenger, look and sound! Send me a message with your email and I'll send pics of the GTX. Don't want this thread going down a totally different path

eliminator
02-07-2014, 09:40 PM
You would love the car my dad has. Fully restored 1967 GTX Hemi 4-speed. He has talked about selling it(not for sale now) and I actually thought about selling off a good part of my card collection to get it. I would have had a good story for this thread if that happened!

Nice Challenger, look and sound! Send me a message with your email and I'll send pics of the GTX. Don't want this thread going down a totally different path

PM sent with email.

Publius
02-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Interesting topic. I recently sold some cards to buy a building, had a tenant lined up so it made sense.

ullmandds
02-08-2014, 03:17 PM
I'd gladly trade some of my cards...for a building!!!!!:o

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Nice cars

DeanH3
02-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Wow, some really nice cars there. Back in 2006 I too sold some cards for a big down payment on my 2006 Corvette.

The blue one.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/DHack3/2006CorvetteLMB.jpg

martindl
02-08-2014, 06:38 PM
1984, sold my entire card collection in order to buy animation art. Basically a whole bunch of T3's, T206, T205 for original Disney drawings and cels. The animation art market then went nuts in the late eighties, early nineties, so I sold everything bar two pieces and bought our house.

I have a folder with all the buy prices for the cards. It would make you weep nowadays, but same would be said for the art. No mortgage trumps all though.

TUM301
02-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Funny, just asked the Queen what she and her sister might like for their birthday. Her answer was a nite on the town in Boston that should include seats for Billy Joel at Fenway Park. Just started looking for the tix and it appears I might be selling on the B/S/T any day now ! PS as far as cars go, sold the 73 vette for a 92 then the 92 turned into a 2007 Cobalt.

eliminator
02-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Wow, some really nice cars there. Back in 2006 I too sold some cards for a big down payment on my 2006 Corvette.

The blue one.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/DHack3/2006CorvetteLMB.jpg

Nice 2006 Corvette.

RGold
02-08-2014, 07:56 PM
1960 MGA and 1962 TR3B both sold to corner the market on Keith Hernandez and Willie Wilson rookie cards. :D:D:D

http://photos.imageevent.com/rgold/rgoldscollectionwirephotos/car1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/rgold/rgoldscollectionwirephotos/car2.jpg

dabigyankeeman
02-09-2014, 08:36 AM
I wanted to retire at age 61 instead of 62, and did a bunch of financial juggling to come up with money to get me thru that first year with no Social Security, and part of that was selling a lot of my collection.

Needless to say, its now 5 years later, and i have re-bought most of those cards over the last few years!! How many of you have re-bought cards you used to have? I bet a bunch of you guys have done that.