PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Hardcore HOF player collector?

hcv123
02-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Does your collection focus around a single Hall of Famer or a couple of Hall of Fame players? If so, who do you collect? What is your favorite card? Favorite item of memorabilia? Favorite story around obtaining an item for your collection? How about the one that got away? Current top 5 wants?

I'll start :D

I collect Roberto Clemente

Favorite Card is his 1967 Giant Stand up

Favorite piece of memorabilia is between an incredible photograph that makes me feel like Clemente is staring right at me when I look at it and what I believe to be his earliest known score card from 1951 - he was listed in the roster, but not yet assigned a number.

Story for obtaining an item - After going to the Robert Morris college show in Pittsburgh (starting with the second show held there) for a number of years I became friends with one of the local guys - he always found stuff for me - the pinnacle of which was a one of a kind Topps produced item.

The one that got away would be 2 - 1) A stunning 1958 Kahns card (later graded a PSA 6) that walked into the Pittsburgh show before I understood how incredibly difficult the card is and even more improbable in that kind of condition - I wouldn't pay the guy $250 against a $200 book price - He told me I didn't know what I was looking at - he was right - it's current owner has turned down an offer by a friend of about 10k :( The second is a 1962 Sugardale card that the dealer wouldn't budge on his $800 book price on - later graded a PSA 3 (highest for that issue) and deserves much higher in my opinion. Oh well. I guess knowing where those cards are is better than nothing.

My top 5 wants:

1) Complete Bazooka boxes (except 1962-25 piece, 1965-20 piece and 1971 unnumbered)- top of the list 1960
2) 1960 Harmony dairy 8x10 card
3) 1968 Topps Disc

I know there must be more :eek: but that's all I can think of for now!

Look forward to hearing about yours.....

Harliduck
02-04-2014, 01:45 PM
I consider myself more of a set collector and do own a lot of HOF cards...but the only HOFer I am hardcore about would be Harmon Killebrew. I have 6 different "themed" collections with 112 base playing year Topps cards not including any Leaders, specialty cards, combo cards, ect. I'll attack those eventually...as of right now, I simply buy any and all Killebrew base cards I see, haha.

My favorite is the 1967 and the 1955 Topps cards. 55 obviously because it's his rookie in probably my favorite Topps set. The 67 is just a classic card in a classic pose...and shows Harmon in his prime.

What piece I want and will purchase here soon is his 1964 Topps Giant autographed. I've seen a few, and to me is the quintessential signed card. I am not an auto guy, but for Harmon, I want one.

ALR-bishop
02-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Howard -can you post your 67 Clemente Stand Up. Would love to see it. I have 22 of the 24 Stand Ups, but not that one. Do you have both of the 67 Punch Out pose variations. I only have one. I have a "set" of the 67Discs and 8 of the 68s, but no Clemente. SCD says there is a unique version of the Clemente Pin Up. Do you have it or have you seen it ?

Mark70Z
02-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Howard,

I don't know about "hardcore", but I do basically collect one HOF player, Brooks Robinson (also delve into some O's memorabilia now and then...).

I collect pretty much everything I like of his to include cards, posters, magazines, pins, buttons, etc., but really don't pick up much of the shiny cards; just doesn't really interest me. Now and then I may pick a post '78 card up if I'm having a dry spell.

My favorite regular issue card is his '75 Topps (ask me tomorrow it may be different). Non regular issue, right now, would be the '71 Greatest Moments (Again...different day you may get a different favorite).

One of my favorite memorabilia piece is a picture taken by one of the Orioles photographers (Mort Tadder). It was hanging in his office and when he was moving he sent me the picture (what a great guy and photographer!).

One that got away? I really don't have a one that got away, or at least I can't recall one at the moment. Basically when an item came up for sale I either didn't currently have enough $ for the item, and/or not willing to pay that kinda $ for the item. Also, there's been a few auctions in the past that I just forgot to bid! Oh well at least I know "someone" has the item.

In regard to my top 5 wants I do have to say some, in my mind, are unobtainable. Here's the list as follows:

1. '68 Topps 3D - unobtainable (30K + at last auction)
2. '61 Dice Game - unobtainable (20K + at last auction)
3. '68 Topps test disc
4. '76 English's Chicken lid
5. '71? Superstar Watch Photo

Like you, I'm sure there are a lot more, but the above come to mind.

ALR-bishop
02-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Mark- am unfamiliar with 4 & 5 , but agree 1-3 are difficult at best

Mark70Z
02-05-2014, 03:10 AM
Al,

The one was, of course, a chicken lid and the other was included with a Brooks watch in I believe '71.

almostdone
02-05-2014, 07:23 AM
I have always been a huge HOF reader and collector. I love both what the Hall is as an institution as well as the members within.

I spent some time putting together a base card collection of certain favorite players then designing and building custom display cases for them (my other hobby).

The first player I completed was Roberto Clemente. After that it was Sandy Koufax. I am currently trying to get both cards as well as other unique items from my all time favorite player, Stan Musial. I am slowly working on Pee Wee Reese as well.

I am looking for a nicely presented Red Heart Musial on a tight collecting budget. Easier said then done but it's all about the chase anyway.

Below are some scans of a few displays I put together. You might notice that the Koufax and Clemente 55 Topps rookies are not included. They are in the third case shown of my HOF collection.

I also put on of my favorite pieces. I took an old copy of Sports Illustrated and added a few familiar cards.
Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Drew

Ps. Couldn't attach more than one scan per post for some reason.

almostdone
02-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Koufax

almostdone
02-05-2014, 07:27 AM
50's Hall Of Famers

almostdone
02-05-2014, 07:29 AM
SI display

Bestdj777
02-05-2014, 07:32 AM
I started a HOF rookie collection, focusing on New York (Mets, Yankees, Dodgers) players from the 40s-60s. Hit a brick wall with that and now focus exclusive on Mantle. As of yesterday, I was up to 250 different items (cards, premium photos, and coins) from his playing days.

My favorite cards that I own have to be his 51 Wheaties and, as of recently, the 60 Post Cereal.

I don't have any memorabilia that I am particular fond of. I have one autographed postcard, but it is rather generic. I do have a Yankees game used uniform (different player) that I am particularly fond of and hope to eventually display with some of my Mantle cards though.

The one that got away was a 1960 Venezuelan that went for a really good price. I was saving for an engagement ring and pretty sure she would have called things off if another card came through the mail before that was on her finger :) Now that she has it, back to buying baseball cards!

I believe there are only another 22 or so items that were issued that I do not actually have yet. I don't plan to ever go after the unissued Topps test sets. Waiting for Al to adopt me and gift me his Mantles. Short of that, not ever going to happen. Not too many on my want list, but would like to pick up the following:
1. Meadow Gold
2. 1960 Venezuelan
3. 1968 Venezuelan
4. Plak Checklist
5. Yamakatzu (sp?)

hcv123
02-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Howard -can you post your 67 Clemente Stand Up. Would love to see it. I have 22 of the 24 Stand Ups, but not that one. Do you have both of the 67 Punch Out pose variations. I only have one. I have a "set" of the 67Discs and 8 of the 68s, but no Clemente. SCD says there is a unique version of the Clemente Pin Up. Do you have it or have you seen it ?

See scan of stand up - It came as part of a HUGE Clemente collection I bought over 20 years ago. It is the "tougher" - die cut version. There was an auction house that had a group of the proofs a number of years ago - saw pictures of the Clemente, but never saw it offered publicly. Which other one are you missing? Die cuts or proofs?

I do have both of the 67 punch out variations (the gray background seems to be the near impossible one)- sorry no scan available.

I have 2 proofs of the 67 disc. Is yours final or proof?

I have never seen a 68 Clemente disc in any shape or form. Not even a picture. You?

I own the 1967 "pinup sticker". See attached scan. It is the item I was referring to that my friend in Pittsburgh hooked me up with. It is really interesting. It is the same photo and style as the 1967 pinup printed on a glossier sticker stock similar to 68 action all star stickers. It also has no number. I have had it under 20x magnification and it looks great! I have not had the autograph checked out. Any thoughts or speculation? I believe Larry saw it shortly after I got and believes it to be legitimate also. I invite you to chime in if you see this Larry.

Do you have any Bazooka boxes? Those are some of my favorites also?

sflayank
02-05-2014, 04:07 PM
yes when i saw the pinup i believe it is real dont know about the auto
impossible to know what some of the 68 discs look like until i see the uncut sheet....clemente could be the same in both sets
some guy sold in auction recently yaz sgc graded for both years ...i believe they were both 67s....the "68" was just missing the final color stage

hcv123
02-05-2014, 04:52 PM
yes when i saw the pinup i believe it is real dont know about the auto
impossible to know what some of the 68 discs look like until i see the uncut sheet....clemente could be the same in both sets
some guy sold in auction recently yaz sgc graded for both years ...i believe they were both 67s....the "68" was just missing the final color stage

Larry - do you know of the existence of a 1968 disc sheet? I saw the Yaz's - didn't look that close at them.

sflayank
02-05-2014, 05:02 PM
there was a 68 disc sheet ...thats how the checklist came to be
dont know if it was cut up or still exists....unless u see a single thats different from the one in the 67 set ...no way to tell
11 players in both sets 4 have clearly different pictures when in full color
aaron cap no cap
cepeda cap no cap
clemente
f howard
mantle of-1B
mays
b robinson looks r looks left
f robinson
santo
torre
yaz

David W
02-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Amongst other things, I am a Cardinal fan, and a Lou Brock fan.

Top wants for Brock would be:

67 Punch Out
1970 Dayton Daily News variation.
Carousel Discs that I do not have.

Any regional or team issue cards I don't have.

ALR-bishop
02-07-2014, 10:26 AM
I lost track of this thread. Howard---thanks for posting the 67 Stand Up and the Pin Up. I had read the write up on the 67 Pin Up in SCD but had never seen one. I had a couple of single 67 Discs but stopped collecting them one by one when I picked the sheet below from Topps Vault. I have several single 68 proofs, but no Clemente. The other one I need to complete the 67 Stand Ups is McCarver. My "set" is a mixture of proofs and die cuts. I take them anyway I can find them.

David---what is the News variation ?

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/ToppsSheets004.jpg

Harford20
02-07-2014, 11:36 AM
I am a MULTIPLE HOF collector, with the primary focus of my collection being Ted Williams. I also focus on the pre-war basics of Matty, Cy Young, Eddie Collins, Jimmy Collins, Nap Lajoie, Tris Speaker, Mordecai Brown and Frank Chance. Nearly everything I purchase in one of these 9 players.

Clearly, my MAIN FOCUS is Ted Williams.

My registry on PSA is nearly complete, but I have added several hundred other cards to this list. I collect any card, postcard, magazine cover, pins (almost anything in a mass production status). I don’t go after photos, autos or clippings much (although I have some of each).

Favorite Card--R303A Goudey Ted Williams
Favorite Regular Issue—If the R303A is not regular issue, I love the 1955 Topps Ted Williams

Favorite Postcard--Very Rare Gillette Razor Mexican Postcard of Ted Williams from his 1946 interviews with the Mexican Baseball league

Favorite pieces of memorabilia—have the complete runs of the Boston Red Sox photo packs with Ted Williams; 1941, 1942, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1954, 1957-1959, 1960

The one that got away would be two also:
1) 1939 V351 World Wide Gum Canadian Goudey Ted Williams Rookie—just did not anticipate how much the price would jump in the last seconds of the ebay auction
2) 1939 PlayBall Ted Williams “Sample” back Rookie. Was not aware of the existence and one was discussed on a Net54 thread. Contacted the owner only to find that he had sold the card to a dealer that morning. AGHHH!

My top 5 wants:

1) 1939 PlayBall Ted Williams “Sample” back (still looking)
2) 1939 V351 WWG Ted Williams Rookie (also still looking)
3) 1955 or 1956 Topps Hocus Focus Ted Williams
4) 1954 Topps Canadian Grey Back Ted Williams
5) 1947 Bond Bread Premium Photo Ted Williams

I know there must be more but I have not seen them yet!!

Of note, my father is a Hank Aaron collector and those pinups and punch-outs are BRUTAL to find.

Dave

ALR-bishop
02-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Dave---any idea what the premium would be on a Topps 54 Williams grey
back ? The Hocus Focus cards are tough. I finally completed the 56 baseball subset but only have 11 of the 55s, and no Williams

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/WhitenOldClothes713_zps201c6996.jpg
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img015.jpg

sflayank
02-07-2014, 11:58 AM
al
only 11 55s? thats 11 more than i have
u dont know if fisk won the mays dice?
have to email him
larry

ALR-bishop
02-07-2014, 12:10 PM
I consider the 55s the hardest to complete of the "issued" Topps baseball "sets". Some of the unissued test sets are surely tougher, but the 55s, and even the 56s, are tougher than the 48s in my experience

brian1961
02-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Howard Chasser : [QUOTE=hcv123;1236395]

"I'll start :D

I collect Roberto Clemente

The one that got away would be 2 - 1) A stunning 1958 Kahns card (later graded a PSA 6) that walked into the Pittsburgh show before I understood how incredibly difficult the card is and even more improbable in that kind of condition - I wouldn't pay the guy $250 against a $200 book price - He told me I didn't know what I was looking at - he was right - it's current owner has turned down an offer by a friend of about 10k :( "

Howard, thank you for sharing your story of missing out on that prized Kahn's Roberto Clemente. Your honest humility and enduring pain is easy to understand. Believe me, I feel for you and can so relate to the guy's terse pronouncement, "I didn't know what I was looking at". Wow, the offer of about 10K for a PSA 6-appearing tough Roberto regional underscores what I have maintained for a long, long time. The rare and typically off-condition casualty found among the regionals will eventually come to command "boo koo bucks", once they are understood. Specifically, when a specimen's condition starkly stands out from the norm, decide speedily and get the wallet out fast. Otherwise, the refrain from an old radio show used beautifully in a Daffy Duck - Porky Pig cartoon comes to haunt, "YOU'LL BE SORRY!" The regret indeed haunts, but we tend to accumulate some regrets in life.

I sit amazed as I think of some of the sales involving the 54-55 Esskay Frankfurts Baltimore Orioles.

Better stop. Hope you're able to get a nice black 'n white Kahn's Clemente one day before too long. Cheers. ---Brian Powell

Harford20
02-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Al, nice 1956 Hocus Focus. I agree with Al, and although I can't speak about other rare Topps sets, I feel the 1955 Topps Hocus Focus is the TOUGHEST of the "regular"/"mainstream" issues for Ted Williams.

Al, to answer your question, based on sales of the Grey backs including the 1954 Williams over the past 3-4 years, I would estimate about 4x for the lower grade HOF (a Williams in a PSA/SGC 1 equiv sold for just at $220) with commons being closer to 2-3x. The higher grade HOF's actually lose ground with a PSA/SGC 5-6 (something close to Ex/Ex+ if I remember correctly)Williams that sold in the last 18 months selling at only about 3x the regular 1954 Topps card.

When looking, I kinda plan on paying about 3-4 times the price for the 1954 Topps #1 card in comparable condition (like a PSA/SGC 2-5 equiv). It's not really the PRICE with this card as much as FINDING it (unlike the Hocus Focus, which is both the PRICE and the RARITY).

Dave

David W
02-07-2014, 01:51 PM

Al - There may (or probably is) a blank back version, as well as I think they came out more than 1 time in the year, or were repeated the next year so some stats are different.

Mark70Z
02-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Al - that '67 Disc sheet is beautiful!

Do you happen to have any '67 or '68 proofs of Brooksie? If so, I'd LOVE to see them...

Exhibitman
02-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Hammerin' Hank. Been an idol of mine since I was a boy watching him close on Babe Ruth's record. Great player, great gentleman, great pioneer. Take away every one of his home runs and he still has 3,000+ hits. What more can one say?

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/1974%20Aaron%20num1.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/Aaron.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/1954%20Johnston%20Cookies%20Aaron.jpg

Sandy Koufax too. Every parent in my school extolled the virtues of Sandy Koufax, so it was natural that I'd gravitate towards him. Him and Greenberg, the twin pillars of Jewish sports collecting.

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/1963%20Topps%20Koufax.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/1961%20Bell%20Koufax.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/autographedexhibitcards/websize/Koufax.jpg

Cliff Bowman
02-08-2014, 05:15 AM

Al - There may (or probably is) a blank back version, as well as I think they came out more than 1 time in the year, or were repeated the next year so some stats are different.

According to Mike Mosier of Columbia City Collectibles only the first sixty of the set are available with a blank back, but, according to sschauer in his 1970-1971 Dayton Daily News Bubble-Gumless Cards checklist the Lou Brock was updated in 1971 with new stats but was mistakenly numbered #80 instead of the correct #88.

rgpete
02-08-2014, 11:37 AM
I like the odd issues of H.O.F.'s and collect them through the years.

David W
02-08-2014, 12:34 PM
According to Mike Mosier of Columbia City Collectibles only the first sixty of the set are available with a blank back, but, according to sschauer in his 1970-1971 Dayton Daily News Bubble-Gumless Cards checklist the Lou Brock was updated in 1971 with new stats but was mistakenly numbered #80 instead of the correct #88.

Thanks.

The reality is the star cards are very hard to find. There are a few players on Ebay, but the HOF'ers and stars are hard to find (and/or expensive for a cutout from a newspaper).

And Mike Mosier has almost all (if not all) of the one's on Ebay, including the variations.

paul
02-09-2014, 03:33 PM
I collect Tom Seaver cards. At the top of my want list are the 1970 Topps Cloth Sticker and the 1982 Fleer unissued proof. As far as I know, I have all of his cards that were actually issued.

These are a few of my favorite things ...

ALR-bishop
02-09-2014, 04:32 PM
The 70 Cloth will be a bear.

Do you have his 82 Blackless IA card ? Fortunately it was an A sheet card

paul
02-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Yes, I have the blackless card. I'm wondering if there is even more than one example of the cloth sticker in existence.

ALR-bishop
02-09-2014, 08:37 PM
I have just one. I posted it in the 1970 thread here. Bob (bobbsbbcards) has several, including the Ryan. Not sure what Larry might have. Not aware of any doubles but will ask Bob if he does

ALR-bishop
02-09-2014, 08:43 PM
DP, sorry

hcv123
02-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Howard, thank you for sharing your story of missing out on that prized Kahn's Roberto Clemente. Your honest humility and enduring pain is easy to understand. Believe me, I feel for you and can so relate to the guy's terse pronouncement, "I didn't know what I was looking at". Wow, the offer of about 10K for a PSA 6-appearing tough Roberto regional underscores what I have maintained for a long, long time. The rare and typically off-condition casualty found among the regionals will eventually come to command "boo koo bucks", once they are understood. Specifically, when a specimen's condition starkly stands out from the norm, decide speedily and get the wallet out fast. Otherwise, the refrain from an old radio show used beautifully in a Daffy Duck - Porky Pig cartoon comes to haunt, "YOU'LL BE SORRY!" The regret indeed haunts, but we tend to accumulate some regrets in life.

I sit amazed as I think of some of the sales involving the 54-55 Esskay Frankfurts Baltimore Orioles.

Better stop. Hope you're able to get a nice black 'n white Kahn's Clemente one day before too long. Cheers. ---Brian Powell[/QUOTE]

Thanks Brian,

I actually have been fortunate enough to own 2 other 1958 kahn's Clemente's (1 of which still sits proudly in my collection). Neither coming close to the amazing condition of the one that was missed! I have found it to be a very interesting thing in the collectibles market - the effects of supply and demand economics. Even though there are some RIDICULOUSLY short supply cards and memorabilia out there - in many cases so few, collectors either don't know about them or consider them so short in supply that they are unattainable - keeping the price relative to the short supply relatively inexpensive. I have been very slow to part with certain rarer/near impossible to replace items I have unless getting very strong prices for them. The handful of people who know what they are looking at are usually tickled to be able to buy these items - as in my opinion they should be given their scarcity............now, has anyone seen a complete 1960 Bazooka box with Clemente around?????????????

Mark70Z
02-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Paul... is it possible to get the measurements of the Seaver watch item (both the package and the card/photo inside)?

I've been looking for just the card of Brooks for years now and have never seen a complete package of the watch included as it came originally. That would be awesome to have the whole piece together.

Thanks for sharing; love it!

paul
02-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Mark, the box measures 6 1/2" x 9", and the card measures 5" x 9" including the tab. The card is on thin paper, not card stock.

Mark70Z
02-11-2014, 03:08 AM
Paul, Thanks so much for the information on the box and photo/card. I didn't know it was thin paper and not card stock since I've only seen a picture of one and have not see it in "real life"... Of course never seen a complete package; thanks so much for sharing. Now this gives me something else to search for.

brian1961
02-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Dear Howard Chasser,

You certainly expressed several all-so-true points regarding rarity and commiserate selling prices, or perhaps rather, a moon shot selling price, and no takers for months and months. Currently there's a gentleman on eBay with a complete hot dog package from the 1955 Esskay Franks Baltimore Orioles. The card is of pitcher Bob Kusava, I believe. The vendor's selling price of $29,995.00 has not been agreed upon as yet by a buyer. He's got it 3-4K above what Huggins & Scott auctioned one for a few years back.

Lest I forget, though I have never seen a 1960 Bazooka box with Roberto Clemente, you might try Mr. Irv Lerner. He's retired now, and specializes in championship rings. However, at one time he used to be one of the preeminent collectors during the early days of the organized adult hobby. His specialty were rare regionals and Topps test issues. He always gravitated to the rare, unusual and hard-to-find. For present contact information, give Sports Collectors Digest a buzz at 1-800-726-9966. Ask the in-house operator to connect you to their editor, Mr. Tom Bartsch. A nice chap. Explain your situation. Mr. Lerner advertises occasionally in SCD, and they might be willing to provide you with a contact phone number. If they do not want to give you his number, plead with them to contact him on your behalf and give Irv your contact info. You never know; it might work.

The battle for the best goes on. Cheers, my fellow collecting warrior.;)
---Brian Powell

pawpawdiv9
02-11-2014, 12:03 PM
i jumped right into Mickey Mantle head first i believe. He is and always one of the best.
My all-time great card is my 52 #311 RC var B. It is just so pinnacle for every collector to have, and well I have one that i can safely be proud of. Of course there is other cards, i deeply fall in love with, when i reach and pull them outta my safes.
The 60 post cereal has amazing salmon like color background and is a oversized piece.
Then theres the remarkable 51 Wheaties, which is stunning in B&W. Some others to add: the 51 Bowman, 54 Dan-Dee (raw), 52 BerkRoss
I sold my 66 exhibit portait (to Bestdj777) which at the time didnt matter as much, but looking back i can see why he wanted the piece. I sold my 59 Oklahoma Today piece, which is a hand-cut magazine piece..It has that unique pic of the Commerce Comet.

The one that got away...Is the 63 plaque/mask. I bidded on it and place a extremely high bid, but at the time, i also was bidding on 2 other lots (which i won both)...but keep looking back all the time as WHAT IF?? If i did win it. I know it was a scarce item and condition critical. But look at it this way..I wouldnt have the cash to purchase my RC i love so much and also more recognizable, compared to a plastic piece card. I only seen 1 person on the Net54 boards with such the item. I highly doubt this item would ever come in auction any time soon.

For my Rookie Collectors out there:
I cherish my child-hood fav player Hank Aaron. Being from the Atl area. They always show the HR record video. Hammerin' Hank
Also picked up a 55 Clemente

For the football lovers..i only collected the best of the best RC's:
Joe Montana, Walter Payton, Joe Namath, Johnny Unitas and etc.

DaClyde
02-11-2014, 12:12 PM
I collect Tom Seaver cards. At the top of my want list are the 1970 Topps Cloth Sticker and the 1982 Fleer unissued proof. As far as I know, I have all of his cards that were actually issued.

These are a few of my favorite things ...

What's the origin of that Korean card?

Big Red Machine
02-11-2014, 05:12 PM
A big part of my collection are players from the Big Red Machine but primarily Johnny Bench. I'm still trying to track down a nice 1970 Topps Candy Lid.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb128/phil0567/1974benchpsa10_zps46d51ffb.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb128/phil0567/JohnnyBenchgame2_zps53307ca6.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb128/phil0567/1968ToppsBenchpsadna7_zps106c77fa.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb128/phil0567/KGrHqYOKnME3b9WZyBEBOBLdwghz0_3.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb128/phil0567/IceeRedsposter.jpg

geor952
02-11-2014, 06:03 PM
The icee poster is fantastic, thanks for sharing!

JasonL
02-11-2014, 08:35 PM
not sure about hardcore, but the PSA Registry grabbed my competitive spirit awhile back when it comes to collecting just the basic Topps issues of some of my favorite HOFers, so I have attacked the task of completing several PSA HOFer player collections, including:
Frank Robinson
Ron Santo
Lou Brock
Johnny Bench
Roy Campanella
Ernie Banks
Ed Mathews
Rickey Henderson

ALR-bishop
02-12-2014, 06:34 AM
Good stuff BR

David W
02-12-2014, 01:21 PM
The icee poster is fantastic, thanks for sharing!

Yes indeed, are there very many out there?

I know I've looked for a 7-11 cup poster from the early 70's for years and the best I could ever do was a color copy of one.

paul
02-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Jason,

I wish I knew more about the Korean card of Seaver. I bought it on ebay about 10 years ago. I showed it to a co-worker who reads Korean, and he said it was put out by the Lotte potato chip company. The back reports a won loss record of 14 and 2, which was Seaver's record in 1981, so I figure it's a 1982 card. That's about all I know. I've searched desperately for another one of any player and never found one.

Paul

Mark70Z
05-31-2014, 06:38 AM
I know this thread is a bit old so I'm sorry for reviving it (not really), but have a question for the following:

Paul... I had a Brooks Super Star watch (just the watch not the package), and I just picked up another Brooks watch, but the one I purchased had a blueish background instead of the green and the watch "kinda" appears silver rather than the gold. Do you know if there are different variations to the watch since Tom S. was included in the watches?

Al... I know you have the '67 Topps Disc sheet (which I NV), but do you have any single proofs of Brooks? I think I asked before, but can't remember so excuse me if you've already responded to this request.

Everyone else... I'd love to hear more from hard core collectors especially the single player ones. It's so neat to see all of the unique items a player collector picks up.

DaClyde
05-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Jason,

I wish I knew more about the Korean card of Seaver. I bought it on ebay about 10 years ago. I showed it to a co-worker who reads Korean, and he said it was put out by the Lotte potato chip company. The back reports a won loss record of 14 and 2, which was Seaver's record in 1981, so I figure it's a 1982 card. That's about all I know. I've searched desperately for another one of any player and never found one.

Paul

Any chance you could post a scan of the back of the card? Lotte issued some cards in 1980 or 1981 using the fronts of 1980 Topps cards. It was a weird assortment of pitchers (at least that's all I have seen), but I don't know how many cards were issued and I've only found the one reference to them.

Hammerin'Hank
06-03-2014, 09:40 AM
New to the board and wanted to chime in.

I was raised a Braves fan and Hank Aaron is the player I collect the most. I currently own every Topps base Aaron card except the 1954 rookie. Every Topps base card is graded 7 NMT, or higher, by one of the 3 reputable grading companies. (Not a big BVG fan but 1 of them is a BVG 7.5). I also own a World Series card, some allstar cards, other dual player cards, and league leaders cards with Aaron too.

I want to add the 1954 Johnston Cookies RC next (have seen a few PSA 6's worth bidding but lost). Then the 1955 Bowman.......and eventually I'll find a way to budget for his '54 Topps. I think I'm going to sale my 1986 Fleer Basketball set (all cards in PSA 8 and 9) to raise the funds for the his Topps rookie.

Also want to add the 1959 Aaron / Mantle card............but all the Mantle collectors have the price jacked up.

Mark70Z
06-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Hank would be a great HOF player to collect. Post some pics of your favorites if you have an opportunity.

Jerry G
01-11-2015, 02:25 PM
1959 (4) & 1960 (3) Hank Aaron color variation Armour coins.

Mark70Z
01-11-2015, 05:58 PM
1959 (4) & 1960 (3) Hank Aaron color variation Armour coins.

Jerry,

Those coins are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Exhibitman
01-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Lefty O'Doul. I have a whole web page devoted to him:

http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/frankleftyodoulcard

Also Joe Louis

http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/joelouis

Jim Brown too. Just finished my 1958-66 run of his cards.