PDA

View Full Version : How to turn a PSA 9 Rickey Henderson into a PSA 7....lol

Mrvintage
02-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Here are the before and after scans of the PSA 9 Henderson rookie I cracked and submitted that came back a 7.....enjoy

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/adavis3232/img581_zps662a2b15.jpg
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/adavis3232/img582_zpsae0d1c07.jpg
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/adavis3232/001_zpsce21c8e4.jpg
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/adavis3232/002_zpsf43c23ea.jpg

MattyC
02-01-2014, 09:19 PM
That's crazy. Very hard to stomach that; feel for you, bro.

They would definitely flag the tiny blemishes in the A's pennant if reviewed for a bump in the 9 holder. That's a tough 10 to land.

It's a beautiful card, regardless. When it comes to nice Rickey RC's, I feel like Mel Gibson in CONSPIRACY THEORY with Catcher In The Rye; the way he felt compelled to buy every copy he saw ;)

Mrvintage
02-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Here are a couple of PSA 10's to show what one looks like.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/adavis3232/2699970_zpsdbcad071.jpg
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/adavis3232/7171747_zpsa1c47d22.jpeg

MattyC
02-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Ew.

Just... Ew.

I mean the tilt, the centering on those?

Just goes to show how crazy and subjective the whole grading game is.

Call me nuts, but I'd take these two 9s pictured below all day over those "10s." I would also take the 9/7 in the top post over both of those 10s.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/mattianc/rookie-cards/14565/1980-topps-rickey-henderson

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/mattianc/rookie-cards/11308/1980-topps-rickey-henderson-rc

ullmandds
02-01-2014, 11:45 PM
I could just picture old Rickey lifting that PSA 9 turned 7 over his head proclaiming..."this is the greatest card ever!!!!!"

Bosox Blair
02-02-2014, 01:32 AM
This is a Pre-War forum...

02-02-2014, 07:52 AM

+1

Peter_Spaeth
02-02-2014, 07:59 AM
I'm sure the same thing happens repeatedly on prewar cards too, so the fact that it's a post-war card is not really material to the point. That said, not sure we needed a second thread, we get that the OP got burned on a crackout and that grading is often arbitrary.

smtjoy
02-02-2014, 08:47 AM
When you play the grading game, the winner is the grading company.

Your 9 is nice but I would never have cracked it as I don't think it had any chance at a 10. The 10's you show are terrible and it's no wonder why you see all the conspiracy theory threads about big submitter's getting 10's and you get a 7.

I also like seeing these threads in the main/prewar forum as it pertains to all card grading and it's easy to skip the thread as the title was very clear.

MattyC
02-02-2014, 08:51 AM
I agree this thread is not really about 1980 Hendersons.

KCRfan1
02-02-2014, 08:53 AM
People who play the lottery usually lose. Be happy with what you have. PSA 9's are not that bad if you love the graded stuff. ( s/b in the post war forum btw )

MBMiller25
02-02-2014, 08:57 AM
That's a shame Andy, crack it an resub, it will come back in a 9 holder. Thanks for sharing the story and your scans.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-02-2014, 09:02 AM

Who peed in your cheerios?

Mrvintage
02-02-2014, 09:28 AM
That's a shame Andy, crack it an resub, it will come back in a 9 holder. Thanks for sharing the story and your scans.

Thanks Matt. I remember your story so I know that you understand the frustration.

slidekellyslide
02-02-2014, 09:35 AM
PSA loves people who crack cards and resubmit...the registry was the most brilliant moneymaking device in the history of our hobby. It turned the hobby of card collecting into a competition, guaranteed repeat business, and I'm sure the scarcity of a 10 made some graders verrrrry wealthy.

Leon
02-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Who peed in your cheerios?

I happen to agree with him though the train has left the station now...

glchen
02-02-2014, 09:56 AM
I would re-examine the card that you got back in a 7 closely. Sometimes, and this is just a completely outta of the sky hypothesis w/ absolutely nothing to back it up, but I think the graders now and then may have "doctor's" handwriting, where they might have written a 9 very sloppily, and the second grader may see the grade as a 9 also, but the person who enters the grade into the database, sees that number as a 7. So if there are no defects that you can see, you might try re-submitting the card again.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-02-2014, 01:49 PM
I happen to agree with him though the train has left the station now...

Isn't there a section for 1980s-Present?

calvindog
02-02-2014, 02:01 PM
I would re-examine the card that you got back in a 7 closely. Sometimes, and this is just a completely outta of the sky hypothesis w/ absolutely nothing to back it up, but I think the graders now and then may have "doctor's" handwriting, where they might have written a 9 very sloppily, and the second grader may see the grade as a 9 also, but the person who enters the grade into the database, sees that number as a 7. So if there are no defects that you can see, you might try re-submitting the card again.

This is such an insane explanation that it's probably true given the pictures above.

Leon
02-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Isn't there a section for 1980s-Present?

Yes there is and that is where it should have gone. The OP and I have communicated about it privately. Not a huge deal but, for the most part, we try to keep things in their proper places. As some mentioned, this subject sort of transcended the actual card and was more about the service. Hey at least the OP wasn't spamming refrigerator, Ipad, widget etc... sales!!

doug.goodman
02-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Haha! Serves you right for collecting plastic cases.

Best regards,
Doug

MW1
02-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Grading standards have changed over time. The original PSA 9 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson was graded some time ago, quite likely during the Baker/Rocchi era. Since then, some types of printing defects have been judged with greater severity. "Snow" or imperfect printing in dark, background areas where small specks of white can be seen is one such defect. It appears that there's a hint of that on the original PSA 9 Henderson. That may have been the reason for the downgrade when you cracked and resubmitted.

conor912
02-02-2014, 11:32 PM

It's also turned into a complaining forum and a praying forum but no one seems to bat an eye at that......just saying.

freakhappy
02-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Haha! Serves you right for collecting plastic cases.

Best regards,
Doug

Haha and then best regards? Sounds like you want to rub his face in the dirt and then wish him well afterwards...doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

Mrvintage
02-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Haha and then best regards? Sounds like you want to rub his face in the dirt and then wish him well afterwards...doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

If someone likes to collect raw cards I wish you the best and if someone collects graded cards I like to see them receive high grades because it makes them more valuable when it comes time to sell. I don't feel any ill will towards anyone so happy collecting everyone!!! Thanks, Andy

freakhappy
02-03-2014, 12:29 AM
If someone likes to collect raw cards I wish you the best and if someone collects graded cards I like to see them receive high grades because it makes them more valuable when it comes time to sell. I don't feel any ill will towards anyone so happy collecting everyone!!! Thanks, Andy

I'm with ya on this one, Andy. I enjoyed looking at your grades when they came back from PSA...unfortunately for you they weren't all great, but sometimes you take that chance and lose. And if you thought you could improve on those grades, then it was smart of you to resubmit to try to get a bump. I just see no reason for anyone to rub your face in it...it just makes them look stupid. If I cared enough, I would go through and look for bump candidates, but I just want to add to the collection right now. For me, looking at the grades fresh from the grading company can be like opening a xmas present, so I get the feeling and I enjoy it. Hopefully you will have better luck next time :D

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-03-2014, 07:16 AM
TPGs get people more riled up than anything else.

Leon
02-03-2014, 07:47 AM
It's also turned into a complaining forum and a praying forum but no one seems to bat an eye at that......just saying.

Sounds like you might be part of the issue if someone is discussing religion and I don't know about it. As for complaining, you can carry on....

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-03-2014, 07:49 AM

Please tell me you were being ironic when you said this.

conor912
02-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Please tell me you were being ironic when you said this.

I was kinda sorta defending the OP. I’m just saying look at the front page right now. We’ve got threads on Eli Manning’s fake game-used gear, hockey at Yankee Stadium, the Superbowl, why the USPS sucks, an NFL playoff pool, and some guy who can’t figure out how to list things on ebay…..not to mention all the threads started for the sole purpose of complaining or soliciting prayer. And I rarely, if ever, see guys saying THOSE don't belong on the pre-war forum.

So, that said, at the very least this thread is about baseball……

JasonL
02-03-2014, 10:20 AM
I agree this thread is not really about 1980 Hendersons.

This thread is about Cheerios and what to have with them!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-03-2014, 02:52 PM
This thread is about Cheerios and what to have with them!

:D

the 'stache
02-03-2014, 09:43 PM
/opens mouth

Never mind, I've got nothing.

doug.goodman
02-04-2014, 02:25 AM
Maybe this guy can help :

dmitri-young@collecting-plastic-cases.com

I hear he has an "in" with the people who get paid for their opinions, I'll bet he could get that 7 (obviously a mistake) turned into a 10 (which of course would be correct) if he decides to help you out.

Happy to help,
Doug

PS - haha, best regards.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Maybe this guy can help :

dmitri-young@collecting-plastic-cases.com

I hear he has an "in" with the people who get paid for their opinions, I'll bet he could get that 7 (obviously a mistake) turned into a 10 (which of course would be correct) if he decides to help you out.

Happy to help,
Doug

PS - haha, best regards.

I guess resubmitting a few times is the answer:(

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-major-leaguer-dmitri-young-is-unlikely-owner-of-huge-rookie-baseball-card-collection-.html

"All the while he collected cards. In 2009 he nabbed his favorite besides Aaron, and this one was personal. Willie Horton, former Tigers star outfielder and longtime special assistant to the team's owner, had taken Young under his wing. So when Horton's PSA 9 card popped up on eBay for $400, buying it was a no-brainer. Young sent it to PSA three times, asking that they bump it up to a 10. The third time they did."

doug.goodman
02-04-2014, 11:05 AM
I guess resubmitting a few times is the answer:(

Ding, ding, ding, you win the prize!

Yep, that's the answer, resubmit like there is no tomorrow, until you get the grade that you want, then sell the plastic case for a huge profit.

The people who get paid for their opinions make money, you make money, you have fun (because making money is fun!) and the hobby becomes a better place.

Haha!, best regards,
Doug "I love my sarcasm, and I don't care if anybody else gets it" Goodman

PS - Alex, you have the best profile picture on the board.

GoldenAge50s
02-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Dimitri bought an SGC 9 Walter Payton RC from me & I'm almost certain it turned into a PSA 10.