PDA

View Full Version : Selling on Ebay -- Absolutely Unbelievable

paul
02-01-2014, 03:39 PM
I just tried listing some items on ebay. I've sold plenty of items before, but not for the last 3 months or so. Well, I wasn't able to list my items. I called ebay customer support and they told me the problem is that I am using some obscure browser called "Internet Explorer." They told me that ebay no longer supports Internet Explorer (at least not version 10 or above) so I simply can't list on ebay.

I also noticed something else along the way. I was partially able to list one item, and noticed that ebay automatically calculates the shipping for me. This is the shipping that I must charge, whether I want to or not. Customer support told me that's just the way it is now. Absolutely bizarre.

Has anyone else had these absurd experiences with ebay?

alanu
02-01-2014, 03:43 PM
It's almost like you were on some tv or radio prank phone call show.

I don't believe any of the things that are mentioned in your e-mail are true about what you can and can't do in ebay.

thecatspajamas
02-01-2014, 03:53 PM
I don't know about the browser issue, but the mandated shipping charge could be true depending on what category you are selling in (most media categories, perhaps others, can't recall exactly off the top of my head). Just another step in the long march to morph eBay into an Amazon clone.

buymycards
02-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Hi Paul,
I sell on ebay all of the time and I don't have a problem with shipping charges. I sell mostly in the sports cards and other collectibles category. I can charge whatever you want to for shipping.

Amazon is another story. Not much flexibility for sellers on Amazon.

I used to have a lot of problems with eBay and IE. 4-5 years ago I downloaded Google Chrome for free and it has been great. I haven't used IE in years except for a few websites that aren't compatible with Chrome.

Good luck, Rick

paul
02-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Well, I was able to list my items with Google Chrome. But ebay still fixes the shipping charge at $2.32 per item. I don't know what's going on. I listed all the items in the baseball card category.

RichardSimon
02-01-2014, 04:46 PM
That enforced shipping charge does not sound right.

EvilKing00
02-01-2014, 04:50 PM
It's almost like you were on some tv or radio prank phone call show.

I don't believe any of the things that are mentioned in your e-mail are true about what you can and can't do in ebay.

I have noticed the shipping issue, i dint like it at all

Misha
02-01-2014, 05:13 PM
I sold a couple of things in a different category last month. It gave me a suggested shipping price, but I was able to modify it

slidekellyslide
02-01-2014, 05:32 PM
I've been listing all week long with no problems at all...never a mandated shipping charge...the only recent change I've seen is that ebay now has a shipping center for international bidders so if you don't like to send internationally they will do it for you. I will send internationally, but hadn't realized that I'd had the box checked on some of my listings...everything goes through Kentucky, and they seem to be pretty fast at getting stuff out as I got feedback from my buyers quickly.

Runscott
02-01-2014, 05:52 PM
The ebay game now is free shipping BIN's. They will shove us down that path one way or another.

I would prefer to see ebay take a more reasonable cut and not offer discounts for high ratings - that way sellers could choose whatever strategy they wished, and bad sellers with low feedback would simply sell less. But the pez dispenser days are long gone.

Hi Dan - hope you are doing well today.

bender07
02-01-2014, 05:56 PM
A lot of companies don't support IE10. Small percentage of users are on it.

slidekellyslide
02-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Internet Explorer: The browser you use to download a better browser.

npa589
02-01-2014, 06:00 PM

lol

ksabet
02-01-2014, 06:50 PM

That made me laugh out loud. I was told the first way to start protecting your identity on the net is to remove all traces if Internet Explorer from your computer.

rjackson44
02-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Feebay :D

toppszl1
02-02-2014, 12:01 PM
No problems here, double check & you can calculate your own shipping fees, I'm running vista 7

jcmtiger
02-02-2014, 02:48 PM
I've been listing all week long with no problems at all...never a mandated shipping charge...the only recent change I've seen is that ebay now has a shipping center for international bidders so if you don't like to send internationally they will do it for you. I will send internationally, but hadn't realized that I'd had the box checked on some of my listings...everything goes through Kentucky, and they seem to be pretty fast at getting stuff out as I got feedback from my buyers quickly.

Yes, the new International shipping is great.

Joe

calvindog
02-02-2014, 02:57 PM

I listed some new books for sale; they were cheap. Ebay had a price for media mail that I had to pick (I think). It ended up being a dollar or two less than any conceivable price for shipping. I didn't care but I would imagine this drives people crazy who use ebay for income.

slidekellyslide
02-02-2014, 04:06 PM
I listed some new books for sale; they were cheap. Ebay had a price for media mail that I had to pick (I think). It ended up being a dollar or two less than any conceivable price for shipping. I didn't care but I would imagine this drives people crazy who use ebay for income.

Yes, there are some categories that don't make sense...and books/magazines are one of them...you can't send magazine media mail...ebay hasn't gotten that message yet.