PDA

View Full Version : What's the Most Accurate Source re: HOFer Rookie Cards

GregMitch34
01-31-2014, 01:12 PM
I know this has come up before, with some difference of opinion on best site or source (and debates about which should be considered the 'real' rookie card for various HOFers). Anyway: what seems to be considered the most "authoritative" current source? Thanks.

MattyC
01-31-2014, 01:35 PM
Honestly, IMO, the answer is: fellow collectors, such as the ones on this board, coupled with one's own research, and then making one's own, final determination for one's own collection. For some players, especially Post War, it is often an easy call. For others, not so much, and there is no one true and right answer. If you go by the PSA Registry, for example, they'll tell you that Babe Ruth's RC is his 1933 Goudey. Ask anyone else, they'll probably say the M101-4/5. Some others might say his Balt News. I know a ton of guys that embrace Gehrig's 1925 black/white tint Exhibit as his RC. I believe the PSA Registry anoints his US Caramel his rookie. For DiMaggio, I consider his rookie to be his Zeenut Batting, but he's not in pinstripes there. I'd definitely next look toward his V355 from 1936, in which he's in a Yankee cap. Some will tell you his Goudey is his RC (for some reason I am not a fan of that cartoonish card). It's an area rife with debate.

Maybe I just have a problem with authority; I don't like TPGs telling me what grade my cards are and I don't like an external authority telling me that Gehrig's RC is his 1932 US Caramel ;)

Sean1125
01-31-2014, 01:40 PM
It's up in the air... I've seen so many different things called rookies for each card that I really think it's whatever you make the determination to be.

brianp-beme
01-31-2014, 02:02 PM
This one on the Old Cardboard site created by one of our fellow Net54 members works for me:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/RookiesList.asp

I like it because if you click on a player's name it features the player's first five cards, and usually the five listed will feature an image of the card.

Brian

triwak
01-31-2014, 02:49 PM
This one on the Old Cardboard site created by one of our fellow Net54 members works for me:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/RookiesList.asp

I like it because if you click on a player's name it features the player's first five cards, and usually the five listed will feature an image of the card.

Brian

+1

bcbgcbrcb
01-31-2014, 04:00 PM
Greg:

Always happy to help, if you have any specific questions, just ask.

slidekellyslide
01-31-2014, 04:13 PM
In what world would a 1933 Goudey be considered a rookie card for Ruth????...that one always makes me shake my head.

MattyC
01-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Dan, I feel your headache. It drove me nuts when they informed me that I was "mistaken."