PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy serious?? Clemente game used Jersey??

hcv123
01-28-2014, 05:58 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBERTO-CLEMENTE-1961-GAME-USED-PITTSBURGH-PIRATES-FLANNEL-JERSEY-GAME-WORN-/271386247491?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2fe18143&autorefresh=true

Those numbers look like they were made yesterday. Anyone else have an opinion?

39special
01-28-2014, 06:29 PM
It could be real.

Shoeless Moe
01-28-2014, 07:59 PM
How dare you question Cashmonkey2, you better pray Cashmonkey1 doesn't find out.

gregr2
01-28-2014, 08:04 PM
How dare you question Cashmonkey2, you better pray Cashmonkey1 doesn't find out.

Lol ^^^^^^ :-) :-) :-)

RTK
01-29-2014, 05:10 AM
Hey! Free shipping ;) :rolleyes:

MooseDog
01-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Back then uniforms were used and reused sometimes for many years. It is certainly possible that that particular jersey at one could have been worn by Clemente, but as with autographs, why would you want it in your collection? It's like having an autographed baseball of Babe Ruth where you can barely make out the signature because it's so faded.

To me a piece like this, even if real, is looking for the greatest fool. Whomever buys it is only hoping to sell it for a profit until the last fool gets stuck with it.

baseball tourist
01-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Back then uniforms were used and reused sometimes for many years. It is certainly possible that that particular jersey at one could have been worn by Clemente, but as with autographs, why would you want it in your collection? It's like having an autographed baseball of Babe Ruth where you can barely make out the signature because it's so faded.

To me a piece like this, even if real, is looking for the greatest fool. Whomever buys it is only hoping to sell it for a profit until the last fool gets stuck with it.

I disagree. Finding an iron clad Clemente flannel with provenance would be preferable but as jerseys from this era were typically passed down for continued use in the minors after MLB use, locating a flannel with evidence of being originally worn by any player that you may collect is difficult to say the least. A star player such as Clemente would certainly command big $ and as such, more scrutiny for a buyer to feel comfortable with its history however.

The O/P raises a great question about the fabric numbering that hasn't been addressed. I would want to inspect the jersey in hand before dropping $10K on it, but possible restoration doesn't rule out this having once being on Roberto's back.

yanks12025
01-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Am i the only one who thinks it's weird that his name stitching is gone completely besides the "C" and the rest looks like it could have been wrote in marker.

baseball tourist
01-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Am i the only one who thinks it's weird that his name stitching is gone completely besides the "C" and the rest looks like it could have been wrote in marker.

I haven't looked at the photos on a big screen (just opened the link on my phone) but the 8th image (inside of jersey) seems to show stitch impressions of the remainder of the name, right? I am not commenting on the validity of the item and have no skin in the game, but would say the it has a shot to be a legit, possibly partially restored Clemente flannel.

yanks12025
01-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Also mears shows all the jerseys they had were size 42, not 44.

Mark17
02-20-2014, 02:36 PM
For what it's worth, I bought the 1967 Kansas City flannel he had for sale last week and while I'm not a KC collector it looks to me to be all original. It's a size 40 and the guys who wore that number (12) were very thin, so that's what I'd expect. Cost under $400 too. So based on that deal, the guy seems pretty legit.

Can anyone make out whether there was ever a #21 on the front of the jersey?