PDA

View Full Version : ruth photo ideas

JoeyF1981
01-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Trying to decide which type 1 photo to frame with my ruth auto. The auto was signed between 1947-48 most likely. Which do you think would look better or should I hold off for a better photo? Thanks for your input

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq224/Blackitalian/ruthphoto_zps0f2b7795.jpg (http://s450.photobucket.com/user/Blackitalian/media/ruthphoto_zps0f2b7795.jpg.html)

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq224/Blackitalian/T2eC16FyUFIbpc5ZjdBSwziR-K60_3_zps39459f54.jpg (http://s450.photobucket.com/user/Blackitalian/media/T2eC16FyUFIbpc5ZjdBSwziR-K60_3_zps39459f54.jpg.html)

David Atkatz
01-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Certainly not the one that shows how ill he was!

Runscott
01-28-2014, 02:47 PM
I would go with the first one. I plan to do something similar with my Ruth autograph, using this photo:

JoeyF1981
01-28-2014, 02:55 PM
I would go with the first one. I plan to do something similar with my Ruth autograph, using this photo:

Nice photo scott! Ya the first photo has amazing clarity. I was leaning more towards that oneor holding off until I can pick up one of him in his playing days

thecatspajamas
01-28-2014, 04:14 PM
I like the first photo. I've always been a fan of pairing a photo of the player signing autographs with an actual autograph (even if the item being signed in the photo is not the one framed with it). I think it makes for an interesting combination, almost like a wide-out shot, and then zooming in for the extreme close-up on the signature.

Plus, any sharp period photo of Ruth in action during his playing days will stand well on its own, and in my mind, the separate signature becomes a distraction from the photo (or vice versa) rather than having an additive value.

Maybe that's just me though :D

HexsHeroes
01-28-2014, 05:05 PM
I like the first photo. I've always been a fan of pairing a photo of the player signing autographs with an actual autograph (even if the item being signed in the photo is not the one framed with it). I think it makes for an interesting combination, almost like a wide-out shot, and then zooming in for the extreme close-up on the signature.

Plus, any sharp period photo of Ruth in action during his playing days will stand well on its own, and in my mind, the separate signature becomes a distraction from the photo (or vice versa) rather than having an additive value.

Maybe that's just me though :D

Lance, I am with you on pairing an autograph with photo of that playing signing autographs.

Scott Garner
01-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Definitely the 1st photo. Photo #2 is pretty tough on the eyes, FWIW.

baseball tourist
01-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Definitely the 1st photo. Photo #2 is pretty tough on the eyes, FWIW.
I agree with Scott et all. Def the first.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
01-28-2014, 07:23 PM
Definitely the first one. It says "yeah, I was a big deal."

khkco4bls
01-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Neither. I would want Ruth in uniform in some way.

Bigdaddy
01-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Neither. I would want Ruth in uniform in some way.

I have to agree, neither of the photos above (especially the second one). I'd want to see him in uniform, at least somehow showing his connection to the game that made him famous

MyGuyTy
01-29-2014, 12:31 AM
You can't be serious with that 2nd photo..........

JoeyF1981
01-29-2014, 10:32 AM
You can't be serious with that 2nd photo..........

The 2nd picture was from babe ruth day and yes im serious. The auto I have is from that time period so it was a option.

Runscott
01-29-2014, 10:45 AM
You have Ruth's autograph for what he did as a player, not for his being sick and almost dead. I understand why you would want a photo that relates as closely as possible to the actual autograph, but sometimes that doesn't make sense. I also am not a fan of the framed pieces that have an autograph framed alongside a photo of the athlete as an old man, dressed in civilian clothes, regardless of how great they look for their age, unless they are golfers. Or vice-versa - a photo of the athlete in his prime, framed with a signature from when they were so old they could barely sign their name. It's just a matter of aesthetics.

JoeyF1981
01-29-2014, 10:49 AM
You have Ruth's autograph for what he did as a player, not for his being sick and almost dead. I understand why you would want a photo that relates as closely as possible to the actual autograph, but sometimes that doesn't make sense. I also am not a fan of the framed pieces that have an autograph framed alongside a photo of the athlete as an old man, dressed in civilian clothes, regardless of how great they look for their age, unless they are golfers. Or vice-versa - a photo of the athlete in his prime, framed with a signature from when they were so old they could barely sign their name. It's just a matter of aesthetics.

Ya Im planning on holding off until I pick up one of him in his earlier years in his uniform. Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Cant wait to finally get this framed. will post pics when its finished

MyGuyTy
01-29-2014, 10:50 AM
The 2nd picture was from babe ruth day and yes im serious. The auto I have is from that time period so it was a option.

I don't care what day they were celebrating, it's basically his "dying photo".......not one I would celebrate, lol. Get a nice late career action photo of the Babe ;)

Runscott
01-29-2014, 11:56 AM
It might make a great piece if you can frame the autograph with the 'signing' photo, AND an 'in action' shot. I had intended to choose between the two, but using both might work. Here are a couple of ideas:

drcy
01-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Joey, the first photo is a grade A. Love it.

The second one's good too, poignant, but the first is hard to beat. Especially for an autograph.

JoeyF1981
01-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Joey, the first photo is a grade A. Love it.

The second one's good too, poignant, but the first is hard to beat. Especially for an autograph.

Thanks man! Ya the clarity is top notch. Might take scotts idea and frame with the first photo and one of him in his uniform

Scott Garner
01-29-2014, 07:04 PM

+1 Well said, Scott..

drcy
01-30-2014, 12:58 AM
I like the second photo, just think the first is better for an autograph.

Joey's pick. I wouldn't have even asked this motley crew.

drcy
01-30-2014, 01:01 AM
I was just joking when I said everyone here's motley. I'm not motley.

But every rose has a thorn. No, wait. I think that was White Snake.

perezfan
01-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Wasn't it Poison / Bret Michaels?

Not my thing, but an "ex" used to sing that song ad nauseum :(

As for the photo, find one in Yankee Pinstripes!

Shoeless Moe
01-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Wasn't it Poison / Bret Michaels?

Not my thing, but an "ex" used to sing that song ad nauseum :(

As for the photo, find one in Yankee Pinstripes!

Please post 2 pix of the Ex and let's all decide on that : )

JoeyF1981
01-30-2014, 07:41 PM
I like the second photo, just think the first is better for an autograph.

Joey's pick. I wouldn't have even asked this motley crew.

lol...stop your making me cry like novemeber rain...oh wait that was guns n roses...damnit..lol

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-02-2014, 09:11 AM
That second display idea looks awesome!

Runscott
02-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks Alex. I have 8-10 mock-ups of various items, ready to build as soon as I get a man-room. My girlfriend has demanded a pool table in the room - being a nice guy, I acquiesced.