PDA

View Full Version : 1958 Bell Brand Posters

doug.goodman
01-28-2014, 01:43 AM
Apologies to anybody who realizes that I have posted in two categories, but the original post that I dredged up was in the pre-1980 postwar card section, and I really feel like this is more of a memorabilia topic. I also think there is a better chance of getting responses in this section, meaning that we can all learn something.

Leon - feel free to delete whichever post that you think is excessive.

I picked up these posters on ebay last week and am curious what info anybody has about them.

When I bought them I had no idea that they constituted possibly an entire "set", and although they are beat up, I am super happy with the purchase.

I'm contemplating taking the advice of Adam Warshaw in his "before/after poster" thread and contacting a company to mount them. Luckily for my wallet, I have zero interest in restoration, they are beautiful just how they are.

Their large (23 X 36) size means they will ultimately probably end up stacked with my uncut sheets on a shelf in my office, never to be seen again. Hahahaha.

According to the 2013 SCD catalog pdf I found via google, there are only these four, but the 2008 SCD pdf that I have on my laptop only lists the Drysdale, so I interpret that to mean there might be others. Anybody have any?

Doug

smokelessjoe
01-28-2014, 05:08 AM
Hi Doug,

Not much help here, & you may have already seen these but here are some past auction results with "some" info. Also a Net54 thread about baseball advertisements that includes Bell Brand - cards though... Still Neat - scroll to bottom.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=28249

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=125979

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1009281

doug.goodman
01-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Thank you for those links, Shawn.

ooo-ribay
02-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Those are pretty cool.....even if they are D**gers ;)

doug.goodman
02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Haha, thanx Rob.

I received the posters and, as expected, they're in pretty bad shape (water damage, mold, etc) so I decided to take them to a pro (thanx for your post Adam) for some conservation work. I told them that didn't want any restoration done at all, I enjoy the beat up worn look of them, but I wanted to stop any further deterioration.

I'll get them back next week, but here's how they look now...

ooo-ribay
02-06-2014, 12:23 PM
I can't wait to see how they come out. I've never understood the process but I've seen some amazing results!

doug.goodman
02-06-2014, 05:08 PM
I can't wait to see how they come out. I've never understood the process but I've seen some amazing results!

That's them finished. I did not want to have them cleaned or restored at all.

ooo-ribay
02-06-2014, 05:23 PM
That's them finished. I did not want to have them cleaned or restored at all.

Nice! They must press them under a big ol' pile of dictionaries!

WillowGrove
02-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Much better Doug. Much better. You made a good choice.

Joe Hunter
02-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Wow! they did a nice job with those. You should be very happy.

doug.goodman
02-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Wow! they did a nice job with those. You should be very happy.

Thank you guys. They did. I am.