PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Fleer Football

Beatles Guy
01-27-2014, 08:08 PM
Good evening. I'm not much of a football card collector but I have been given a chance to purchase a ten box wax lot of 1978 Fleer football. Since I am pretty much a novice, I was wondering if I can get some opinions on the popularity of this set. I've done some web searches but there isn't a lot of info out there about these. I saw several singles for sale on eBay but not too much in the way of packs or boxes. Any help would be appreciated.

Blackie
01-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Jason im not sure myself. I remember the fleer action but not the 78 Fleer

Beatles Guy
01-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Sorry, that's what they are, 1978 Fleer Action.

Blackie
01-27-2014, 09:23 PM
Yeah those were neat cards. Wish i could help ya with values on those packs etc but im clueless on this issue. Probably be a neat pickup if the price wasnt too high.

BigRedOne
01-30-2014, 09:35 AM
The Fleer Team action cards are very overlooked IMHO.

In the last few years I have been picking up and trying to complete a run of sets from 1976 -1986.

While the 1976 Fleer in Action card can be tough to find, I believe the others are fairly available.

I picked up both the 77 and 79 Fleer sets for very reasonable prices, I believe under $50 for the 79 and I' can't quite remember on the 77 set, Im sure it was under $100, Maybe like $79 buck or so? So I would think the 78's would be similar. The 78 cards are the same as the 77 other than the yellow border and the one extra Super Bowl card added for that year. I think that being said they may not be as popular as the 77's.

I bought up a bunch of 1980, 81 and 82 Fleer Action Team Wax Boxes for $30-$40 each. I would venture a guess that 78 Fleer Wax Boxes could be a bit higher, but I would think any thing over $60-$90. I could be wrong though.

The fleer Team Action cards for whatever reason have never really caught on and seem to remain under appreciated as they are great looking cards.

Maybe someone more knowledgable than me will chime in with other thoughts on the Fleer Team action Cards.

After all this said, I don't have the 78 set and would be interested in a few boxes of them myself.

Im not sure how serious you might be about the 10 wax box lot, But I would be interested in a few of them depending on the price and Seller.

Did he list a price?

In closing I don't believe anyone is going to get rich quick off of 1978 Fleer Team Action, But with the way wax is these day, ya never know.

Please PM me with more info and weather you move to but the lot.

John

Beatles Guy
01-30-2014, 04:32 PM
The owner is a vendor that my wife sees at work from time to time. Story is that his family owned a store that shut down in '78 and these were never put out for sale. Nine of the ten boxes are sealed. He sent home a pack with my wife so I could take a look. I just want to make an educated offer to him. I'll be honest, they will be an investment for me as I really have no interest in collecting them. I will PM you and let you know if I pick them up.

laughlinfan
02-01-2014, 09:13 AM
I always enjoyed the Team Action cards when I was a kid - I appreciated that they showed team logos and helmets, while the Topps cards from the late 70s had to airbrush them out, or go for the helmetless shots. Since they were not the mainstream sets, I guess, they have never been highly popular, despite showing some beautiful action shots of some of the best players of the time. The 76 set is the exception, since I think they were fairly limited in the first year of production, and the fact that they were stickers caused many of them to get used for the intended purpose!

All of that being said, I think unopened boxes from the 70s are still pretty neat, and look great in the box. The lack of high value individual cards, or a big premium on PSA graded cards would reduce the "lottery" factor and keep them from being very expensive. If I had to venture a guess, I would expect a $3-5 retail price per pack.

I always like reading the Fleer Sticker Project blog, and they have a nice overview of the set here:

http://fleersticker.blogspot.com/2009/01/1978-fleer-nfl-team-action-football.html

Happy collecting!

Beatles Guy
02-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Thank you for your input and thank you for the link :)

Il Padrino
02-02-2014, 09:11 AM
I might be interesting in buying a box or two.

Beatles Guy
02-02-2014, 09:50 AM
I'm hoping to get in touch with him this week, so hopefully I can pick these up soon. I want to see the condition of the boxes before I buy obviously. I will offer them up here when and if I get them with very fair prices for Net54 members.

PM770
02-04-2014, 09:47 AM
I would be very interested in buying a box if you are able to make this purchase.

jnorlund
02-12-2014, 07:24 PM
I might be interested as well

Beatles Guy
02-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Finally going to meet the owner tonight. I will update the thread when and if I purchase them. Thanks for all the input.

Beatles Guy
02-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Well, finally met up with the gentleman regarding the '78 Fleer boxes. The bottom line is that he thought they were worth way more than what they really are. He was looking for thousands, not hundreds. He decided to put them away for another 20 years or so. Oh well, the beer was good at the bar :)

BigRedOne
02-20-2014, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the update Jason.

Unfortunately many people think just because something is old its worth than it really is. I don't believe 20 more years is going to make a whole lot of difference on these. I guess maybe he can have then buried with him or something.

John

PM770
02-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the update Jason.

Unfortunately many people think just because something is old its worth than it really is. I don't believe 20 more years is going to make a whole lot of difference on these. I guess maybe he can have then buried with him or something.

John

$1000s per box or the lot? Because I don't think $125-150 per box is very unreasonable. (8*$125=$1000).

Anyway, thanks for the updates. I was hoping to pick one of these up (although not in the 1000s obviously :eek:)

Beatles Guy
02-20-2014, 12:13 PM
He was looking more in the $200-$250 per box range.

PM770
02-20-2014, 02:32 PM
He was looking more in the $200-$250 per box range.

Yeah, thats a little high, especially considering you'd need to be in the $250-300 range to make any money.

K-Nole
02-22-2014, 07:34 AM
The EXACT kind of story I HATE to hear.

Somebody using our hobby as get rich quick scheme.

While there are 10 guys on this site that would LOVE to have those cards and love those cards and give them a good home, this guy that couldn't give 2 squirts less about them, is holding them hostage.

PM770
02-24-2014, 08:07 AM
The EXACT kind of story I HATE to hear.

Somebody using our hobby as get rich quick scheme.

While there are 10 guys on this site that would LOVE to have those cards and love those cards and give them a good home, this guy that couldn't give 2 squirts less about them, is holding them hostage.

Well unopened has seen price increases skyrocket in the last 18 months or so. So I think he has delusions of granduer. I'm not sure Fleer Action Football will ever grow THAT much, but who knows? I'd love to build the set as opposed to just buying one. There is a set selling on ebay right now with the high bid+shipping around $32. I'll watch it to see where it closes at.

I'm willing to pay a premium to build as opposed to buy. But not in the $200-300 range. Unless I win Mega Millions someday. Then lookout collecting world!

K-Nole
02-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Well unopened has seen price increases skyrocket in the last 18 months or so. So I think he has delusions of granduer. I'm not sure Fleer Action Football will ever grow THAT much, but who knows? I'd love to build the set as opposed to just buying one. There is a set selling on ebay right now with the high bid+shipping around $32. I'll watch it to see where it closes at.

I'm willing to pay a premium to build as opposed to buy. But not in the $200-300 range. Unless I win Mega Millions someday. Then lookout collecting world!

Totally with you on the building a set instead of buying one. So much more fun.