PDA

View Full Version : Question about 1907-09 Dietsche Postcard

Northviewcats
01-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Hello Everyone,

I was at a antique auction today and saw what appeared to be half of a 1907-09 Dietsche postcard featuring a conglomeration of the fifteen players in the 1907 set. It looked like the same photograph that is in the 1907 Dietsche Poster, but reduced to the size of half a postcard. The other half of the postcard was missing. The back of the postcard had been glued into an album and I could see the beginning of someone's name and address written on the back.

The vendor, Kirk Kovacs (Kovacs Sports), didn't seem to know much about it. He thought someone had cut the card to save the picture of the players. The vendor was curious to know what image would have been presented on the other half of the postcard. I didn't see any listing of a player composite in the Standard catalog, or on the Old Cardboard site.

Maybe it is a later printing to commemorate the 1907 Dietsche set.

He had a very hefty price of $495.00 on it and said that he had several people ask him about it at card shows (including Nationals) but no one was able to identify it.

I'm sorry that I didn't have a camera with me to take a picture, but I would be interested in knowing if anyone has seen or collected a postcard like it.

Thanks,

Joe

ullmandds
01-25-2014, 07:19 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a dietsche team card...postcard... that is quite scarce...if this is what you're referring to?

ullmandds
01-25-2014, 07:22 PM
1907 1907-09 Tigers A.C. Dietsche Postcard
1 Ty Cobb
2 William Coughlin
3 Sam Crawford
4 Bill Donovan
5 Jerome W. Downs
6 Hugh Jennings Mgr
7 Davy Jones
8 Ed Killian
9 George Mullin
10 Charles O'Leary
11 Fred T. Payne
12 Claude Rossman
13 Germany Schaefer
14 Boss Schmidt
15 Edward Siever
16 Henry Beckendorf 08
17 Owen Bush 08
19 James Delehanty 09
20 Bill Donovan 08
21 Hugh Jennings MG 08
22 Tom Jones 09
23 Matthew McIntrye 08
24 George Moriarty 08
25 Oscar Stanage 08
26 Oren Edgar Summers 08
27 Edgar Willett 08
28 Ralph Works 09
29 Team Picture 09

Bicem
01-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Think I recall seeing that at the National one year, is it just a photo of the poster turned into a RPPC?

docpatlv
01-25-2014, 07:26 PM
Joe,

I have seen the postcard a few times. The seller usually has it at the Philly shows. I had considered purchasing it, but at the price, for half a postcard, couldn't justify it. Have never seen it before. The seller has tried selling it for the past few years with no luck probably due to price and condition. Still a neat piece.

bbpostcards
01-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Here's one that was postmarked during the 1909 World Series, Detroit v. Pittsburgh ("Big doings in Detroit," says the message), with a carefully cut out cutout of Cobb, Colgan's-style, pasted to the reverse. For more, visit http://www.sportingoregon.com/ (http://www.sportingoregon.com/)

VintageBall
01-25-2014, 08:24 PM
I've seen it, too, at the last few Nationals. It's neat, but I concur with Jeff P -- it's either a reproduced photo of the poster or of the cards (done roughly at the same time).

Is half a RPPC better than none?

Robert S

Northviewcats
01-25-2014, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all of the information. Its not a team composite picture. Its a combination of the individual pictures featured on the Dietsche postcards. The show is not far from my house and I will get a picture that I can post tomorrow.

Thanks,

joe

Vintagecatcher
01-25-2014, 09:11 PM
Pete,

Ira Thomas is also in the set. Doesn't show up very often. I traded away my copy.

Patrick

calvindog
01-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all of the information. Its not a team composite picture. Its a combination of the individual pictures featured on the Dietsche postcards. The show is not far from my house and I will get a picture that I can post tomorrow.

Thanks,

joe

I've also seen the half postcard at a bunch of Nationals; it is a collection of pictures of all the individual Detroit cards. I don't like it.

Northviewcats
01-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Hello Everyone,

Here are front and back pictures of the postcard.

I'm still interested to know if anyone can identify it, or tell me what might be on the missing front half.

Thanks,

Joe

Exhibitman
01-26-2014, 04:10 PM
No idea. FWIW I have seen other RPPCs of the era that are photos of other cards. The partial you've shown looks professionally made. Perhaps it is a sample card of some sort? I do know that in the 19th C it was common for some card makers to make a composite sample card of their issue so prospects could see the images. Here is one thought to be associated with N150:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/rareboxingcards/websize/Cabinet%20National%20Tobacco%20Works%20composite.j peg