PDA

View Full Version : Anybody see this? M101-4 Jackson Printing Plate

JollyRoger
01-25-2014, 12:38 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed. It gave me a good laugh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301073278565?redirect=mobile

pencil1974
01-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Yep same guy that sells the penny inside of the cards.

john.clowes
01-25-2014, 04:49 PM
If that was a legit printing plate, wouldn't it be the reverse of what the card actually looks like on the card? The letters would appear in reverse order and backwards, and the player would be batting from the opposite side of the plate.

Leon
01-25-2014, 05:05 PM
If that was a legit printing plate, wouldn't it be the reverse of what the card actually looks like on the card? The letters would appear in reverse order and backwards, and the player would be batting from the opposite side of the plate.

Yes, it would be in reverse.

MuddyMules
01-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Actually the plate is correct in offset printing. A film negative is burned onto a printing plate which creates a positive image (as shown on the actual printed sheet). The ink goes to the plate and then is transferred to a rubber blanket and then transferred onto the press sheet.

In flexo printing, it would be opposite.

My guess is that the plate is too new for that era and was used as a reprint for the card.

atx840
01-25-2014, 09:02 PM
Q: who graded this item? how long have you had it? do you have anymore pics?
A: I bought it at a local card show last year. The vendor that I bought it from said its a newspaper printing plate from a company that has now went out of business. They used the plates for printing different photos of players...

steve B
01-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Actually the plate is correct. In offset printing a film negative is burned onto a printing plate which creates a positive image (as shown on the actual printed sheet). The ink goes to the plate and then is transferred to a rubber blanket and then transferred onto the press sheet.

My guess is that the plate is too new for that era and was used as a reprint for the card.

Yes, That's it exactly for anything printed by an offset process.

There are a few other processes that are usually reversed, like rotogravure, or typeset. The 1930's newspaper inserts done in brown ink are usually rotogravure. Those cylinders are biggish things, copperplate or chromed.
http://www.esko.com/en/~/media/Esko/Images/News/2012/gravure-cylinder.jpg

Typeset stuff is the traditional reversed blocks.
But they're not always reversed.
This was from probably a McCarthy postcard, and they either did offset from the block, or the block was a mold for the actual block. Since they were fairly small production I'd guess offset from the block.
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=2432

I'm thinking the one offered is a total fake, or at least from his own reprints.
Geez. 89 bucks?! And either the same one or another sold for 199.50 back at the end of January. (Plus a few other plates from around $40 to over 200)
At that rate, I should see if the print shop will make me a plate of old cards to cut up. No, that would be wrong.......Hmm...Those penny cards do pretty well too. A bit over $20 each :eek: Maybe he needs some competition.

Steve B

Steve B

jpaol99
01-26-2014, 02:05 AM
I have looked through this guys offerings before. Everything he sells is total garbage not worth the paper its printed on or the fake grading holders. The truly sad part is if you look at the prices he gets, 20, 50 100 dollars for utter garbage.

Justin

dstudeba
01-26-2014, 03:14 AM
An example of a M114 printing plate which uses the offset printing process and is therefore not reversed.

http://www.baseballcardresource.com/img/BBMag/BBMag_RuthMantle_Sm.JPG

MuddyMules
01-26-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm thinking the one offered is a total fake, or at least from his own reprints.

Good call Steve and fully agreed...........There is no doubt that the plate is a fake for that card. The card that Leon posted shows a solid black line with a white border. The plate shows a halftone dot for the solid black line and has halftone dots on the white border.

thehoodedcoder
01-26-2014, 03:39 PM
the guy is definitely a schmuck. seen his items a while ago. he has sold the wagner printing plate more than a couple times i believe.

in a time where printing plate cards are some what popular, its a great scam.

kevin