PDA

View Full Version : Before/After Poster

Exhibitman
01-25-2014, 09:59 AM
I had this Primo Carnera appearance poster for a while. It was splitting on some of the folds and the right edge was intact but folded under giving a ragged appearance. I had it linen mounted.

Before:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/boxingpremiums/websize/Carnera%20Poster%201.JPG

After:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/boxingpremiums/websize/PRIMO%20CARNERA%20MOUNTED.jpg

I did not opt for any restoration work because I think a 60 year old poster should show some age if it was honestly acquired.

Work was performed by Poster Mountain in Northridge, CA, and I highly recommend them.

aquarius31
01-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Very nice! I'm sure you saved quite a bit going down that path vs full restoration .

3-2-count
01-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Nicely done Adam. As you state I really like how the poster still shows it's age. Just the way it should be.

Duluth Eskimo
01-25-2014, 07:00 PM
That's a nice piece. I was going to ask some opinions on backing a movie poster as I have never had anything like that done before. I don't want to hijack your thread, but maybe you could help me with a couple of questions.

Is it common to back posters like that and can it be done locally versus sending it off to a larger company? I assume some are much better than others, but what should I expect to pay for this service? Lastly, the poster I have is mostly intact, but do you recommend any additional services? Thanks, Jason

PS: the value of the poster is probably around $500, but took me years to find.

Exhibitman
01-26-2014, 04:24 PM
That's a nice piece. I was going to ask some opinions on backing a movie poster as I have never had anything like that done before. I don't want to hijack your thread, but maybe you could help me with a couple of questions.

Is it common to back posters like that and can it be done locally versus sending it off to a larger company? I assume some are much better than others, but what should I expect to pay for this service? Lastly, the poster I have is mostly intact, but do you recommend any additional services? Thanks, Jason

PS: the value of the poster is probably around $500, but took me years to find.

It is SOP for the movie poster and generally art poster fields. It cost me around $165 shipped. The mount is very thick canvas, quite sturdy. As to whether to restore, I'd wait until you see the mounted result. Poster Mountain sent me a the image shown above and asked whether I wanted any touch-ups but I liked it enough as it was and decided against it. My feeling generally is that I am more interested in conservation than restoration. I wanted to save the poster from further degeneration rather than make it look brand new. It is strictly a judgment call and an aesthetic preference. If you watch Antiques Roadshow the poster geek on there often advises people to have the poster restored to raise value.

Duluth Eskimo
01-26-2014, 08:57 PM
That seems like a fair price, but is it necessary to send it to California to have it done? I guess it really doesn't matter, but if it is common are there many places that do this work that can be found in most major cities? I live in the Minneapolis area. Not that you would know one, but is it old hat for most high end places? thanks, Jason