PDA

View Full Version : Old PCL Jersey?

dougmac86
01-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Hello all,

I found this Jersey & cap among my late dad's effects. A few people think this is from the Angels in the PCL, sometime in the early 50's. It kind of makes sense, because my dad played in the minors then. But he never played with the Angels! He was lower in the minors, Porterville Packers in 1950 and Yuma Panthers in 1951, so I have no idea how he got this jersey.

There's also a cap I found. Sadly I couldn't locate any pants. There are two pairs of old stirrups and one set of sliding pads, but I have no way of telling if they were from this uni or a team he played on.

Any thoughts on this? I've had the jersey professionally cleaned and the cleaner (who works with vintage garments) thought that the "52" tag (not the size tag on the neck) inside the jersey meant 1952.

I'm thinking of putting these up for auction. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good auctioneer for this kind of memorabilia?

Thank you,

Doug MacKenzie (father had same name)

MooseDog
01-24-2014, 07:51 PM
The jersey fits the style of the period (the SF Seals had almost the same jersey with SEALS in place of ANGELS and the cap is dead correct.

Found a 1952 program for sale on eBay but couldn't really make out the roster very well. It looks like #3 in 1952 was Tod Davis, who never made it to the majors.

Very cool stuff.

thecatspajamas
01-24-2014, 08:07 PM
A few Angels photos for comparison. The first individual player is Leon Brinkopf from 1952. The last individual player is Frankie Gustine from 1949. So at a glance, it looks like that uniform style ran from 1949 to 1953, though there may be some differentiating nuance that I'm overlooking.

baseball tourist
01-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Very cool flannel. It would do well in a REA auction or Heritage or Goldin for example.

dougmac86
07-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks to all for their help in figuring this out. I've finally have this up for auction (only the jersey and cap). Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/

Thank you all again,

Doug