PDA

View Full Version : AMI auctions - legit ?

Copa7
01-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Just curious of members opinions on AMI (American Memorabilia) out of Las Vegas - all of their items are authenticated by their "Team" rather than a 3rd party.

does anyone find this strange, irregular or even unethical ? How do they get away with this ?

I know of several items that were questionable. What do you think ?

Bestdj777
01-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Just curious of members opinions on AMI (American Memorabilia) out of Las Vegas - all of their items are authenticated by their "Team" rather than a 3rd party.

does anyone find this strange, irregular or even unethical ? How do they get away with this ?

I know of several items that were questionable. What do you think ?

No opinion on the company itself, but I do not find it strange that all of their items are authenticated by their team. I have seen a lot of dealers that chose to authenticate their own items rather than paying fees, including a few that sell through this board. The question is whether you feel comfortable with that person's judgment.

Leon
01-23-2014, 08:41 AM
I would be very careful of AMI..... Very longstanding issues of not paying consignors. My only experience with them was when I told Victor (their owner) that the cards on the back cover of his catalog were fake. I told him and he sort of believed me so he sent them to SGC, who confirmed they were fake. When I see them set up at shows I think of a circus :).

71buc
01-23-2014, 09:04 AM
I purchased a game used 1984 Reggie Jackson bat from them a few years back. This was during the time Jackson was suing them over the world series ring they were auctioning for his step mother. They delivered the bat quickly with their own certificate. However, they promised to include a signed certificate from Jackson's family. That took quite a bit longer for them to deliver. I called multiple times and sent multiple emails prior to receiving it. The explanation they provided was that the step mother was very ill and hospitalized. The auction was to raise funds for her medical treatment. I never understood why they didn't have the documentation in order prior to auction.

I felt like a troll when I learned she passed shortly after the auction. If my recollection is correct a judge stopped the auction before the World Series ring sold. This was my only transaction with AMI. I have received better service from other auction house but I have also been treated much worse by others as well. I would rate my experience as a 6 on a 10 point scale. I know there has been discussions about AMI here in the past that my prove to be more informative. I think the owners name is Victor Moreno.

Mike Knapp

Duluth Eskimo
01-23-2014, 12:24 PM
I would be very careful of AMI..... Very longstanding issues of not paying consignors. My only experience with them was when I told Victor (their owner) that the cards on the back cover of his catalog were fake. I told him and he sort of believed me so he sent them to SGC, who confirmed they were fake. When I see them set up at shows I think of a circus :).

+100. Doesn't pay people amongst many other issues. A google search should show many other issues. Some people have defended them on this board, but how do you explain the MANY issues from this "company".

drcy
01-23-2014, 07:06 PM
As far as AMI LOAs go, look who signed it. The LOAs often list and are signed by the specific examiner. In earlier years at least, AMI hired outside people of various levels of reputation to look at items. On the high end, respected glove expert Denny Eskin authenticated gloves for them and his name will be on those LOAs.

Some years back I vigorously disagreed with their assessment of some photos, but otherwise I don't follow their auctions.

Of course, it's always best to be knowledgeable about what you bid on in any auction, or get others' opinions when you're unsure about a lot, so you don't have to rely solely on an LOA or auction house's description.