PDA

View Full Version : Backing Up Your Checklists

Clark7781
01-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Hey Fellow Gentlepeople,

I don't post a lot because my knowledge of this stuff is like a retard arguing with a Ph. D., but just needed to vent.

I keep all of my checklists on my computer so I can print them out when I go to shows. I know this breaks the first rule, but I haven't backed my files for about six month, and right before Christmas, with a relatively new computer, it died. I had acquired a fair number of cards to my sets, but I lost EVERYTHING. So now I have to go back and create new lists and documents and fat finger enter every card for the sets I'm collecting. So, I'm looking for something easier than burning CDs are having Thumb drives: Carbonite.

It's an online back-up system for your computer files, photos, etc. I'm sure there are other companies out there.

I have HOURS of work in front of me. Just need to vent. If you do what I do, don't be a dummy like Moi...

Happy collecting.

Paul

01-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Paul if you still have the hard drive, try running SpinRite. https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm I can just about guarantee it can fix the drive so that you can recover your data.

Section115
01-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Retard??? Seriously???

Clark7781
01-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Retard??? Seriously???

In the presence of you guys, yes. I feel that dumb.

frankbmd
01-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Dropbox (www.dropbox.com) keeps my checklists. For several gigs, its free, cheaper than Carbonite. If you want to backup more, it will cost you. With Dropbox I can access my files from any computer anywhere

External hard drive backup is my second line of defense. With this I backup my entire hard drive every 7-10 days. The external drive cost about $100.

Having the entire hard drive backed up is essential when your machine or gadget takes a fatal crash. When I spilled the iced tea on my lap top, I knew my checklists were a lot safer than my wallet, which took a bit of a hit to get the new lap top.

Smanzari
01-23-2014, 08:40 AM
I use Google Drive for my Checklists. It's accessable from EVERYTHING (like Dropbox) but it is much easier to share the files (you basically check a box and it gives you a web address). You can also edit it directly and it autosaves, so it saves me a little headache!