PDA

View Full Version : Auction House vs. eBay vs. Net 54 BST

deadballera
01-21-2014, 02:34 PM
the economy is really hitting some of us harder than others. I have been trying to sell off some of my collection over the last 6 months or so and will continue to do so.

looking for some insight and opinions from board members...

what is the best place to sell cards that are tough to find ?

T206 Broadleafs ?
Miscuts ? Ghosts ?

Don't know yet of what I will sell just yet...hoping my wife finds a job soon. It's been almost two years.

Regards

Todd

wonkaticket
01-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Auction House.

soccersaver97
01-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Huggins and Scott seems to fetch top dollar for rare cards. This is just my opinion from looking at their realized prices.

Jarrett

01-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Auction House.

+1

h2oya311
01-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Huggins and Scott seems to fetch top dollar for rare cards. This is just my opinion from looking at their realized prices.

Jarrett

Prices are nice, but they charge a sellers fee as well (unless you can negotiate to have it waived - I have not tried, by the way, but assume you could if the material is rare and meshes well with other items they have).

I tend to prefer Goodwin, although you may have to wait a while to get paid. He will submit to SGC or PSA for free (again, depending on items).

CMIZ5290
01-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Auction House, Bill G. and REA come to mind....

quinnsryche
01-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Why not try the B/S/T? It's free and you can ask whatever you want. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Actually it's better than sliced bread, I don't know what all the hub bub about sliced bread is anyway.:p

Bpm0014
01-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Agree with Tony. Wouldn't hurt to try BST first. Then if no interest try an auction house.

pawpawdiv9
01-21-2014, 04:11 PM
I have been selling off items as well thru Ebay & the B/S/T.
I sold items on both, but tend to do well not using Ebay (to avoid fees)
but on the otherhand, some big ticket items have sold on Ebay...just ry to figure the fees in if possible or try using the Best Offer function.

After some items sitting for months on Ebay, i was just about tempted to use Greg Bussineu auction house, tho lesser advertised. They have 0 seller fee.
There deadline on consignment was yesterday for their Spring catalog.

smtjoy
01-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Auction House for scarce cards (like what you listed) that the value is somewhat unknown and/or have few past transactions. You want a the chance for a bidding war. I use ebay but more work for you, do a 7 day auction with the minimum set at the lowest you are ok selling the card.

I would use the BST if you had a good idea of what you wanted for each card or they are sold multiple times each month, ie like a common T206 P 150 SGC 40 and have a pretty stable value range on VCP.

KCRfan1
01-21-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Todd. I hope your wife finds work soon. Things would be very difficult for my wife and I if either of us did not / could not find work. Others on Net54 can give you the insight you are searching for, I'm just offering good wishes to you and your family and that I hope things work out well for you.

deadballera
01-21-2014, 05:02 PM
thank you to everyone that have sent messages with their Well Wishes.

I certainly have some options available for Auction Houses too.

Regards

Todd

ElCabron
01-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Love Of The Game Auctions.

-Ryan

djrhanover
01-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Another consideration, Todd, would be how quickly you want payment. BST or eBay for quicker payment, auctions not so much.

Theo_450
01-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Love of the Game Auctions.

01-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Another consideration, Todd, would be how quickly you want payment. BST or eBay for quicker payment, auctions not so much.

Some AHs will advance you some cash though.

Tim Kindler
01-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Rarer/Tougher stuff = Auction House. There are many great ones out there, small-medium-Big Dog

yanksfan09
01-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Auction house may get top prices, but as some said it doesn't hurt to try and name your price on B/S/T. There's no fees! The ball is in your court there.

jcmtiger
01-21-2014, 08:26 PM
On high value items the auction house is best in my opinion.

But, I sold many items that were under $1000.00 on ebay.

I never had much luck on the BST but I probably was asking too much:D

Joe

Exhibitman
01-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Sterling. Monthly auctions and quick payment and 0% for slabbed cards.

Wildfireschulte
01-21-2014, 09:37 PM
When you're selling T206 BL's and ghosts, you'll get the best visibility and best chance for crazy money thru one of the catalogue auction houses. As others have noted, you need to negotiate your commish up front. The next question is which one as they all have their shady past/present/future depending on who gets deposed or outed next.

conor912
01-21-2014, 11:32 PM
I have noticed that the only way to get guys on this board to open their wallets (myself included) is to pit them against other buyers in an auction setting. I am often amazed at what is left unbought on the B/S/T.

Clydewally
01-22-2014, 10:17 AM
For what it is worth, I have had good luck with the BST so far. I have sold about 15 cards and acquired around the same number in the last six-nine months. The sales have largely been less than $125 though and so doesn't really go to the question of how to sell the rarer items.

jhs5120
01-22-2014, 10:34 AM
AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE

Especially for extremely rare cards. The amount of times I have seen a true rarity on the BST forum get scooped up and sold via Auction House/ebay is crazy.

Use the BST for anything that you know the value of definitively.

Leon
01-22-2014, 10:51 AM
AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE AUCTION HOUSE

Especially for extremely rare cards. The amount of times I have seen a true rarity on the BST forum get scooped up and sold via Auction House/ebay is crazy.

Use the BST for anything that you know the value of definitively.

I think there are times when the BST is good and times when Auction Houses are good. Many folks would rather go to auction than pay for a high end card privately....then many times they go for more in auction (as stated)...