PDA

View Full Version : Roger Connor check

tazdmb
01-20-2014, 09:18 AM
I am curious how something like this gets discovered "deep in the Giants archives" 125 years later. Can anyone just go into the "Giants archive" and pick things out for themselves? Not saying it is fake by any means, but just curious how things like this get discovered after that long of time.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7100&lotIdNo=121002

packs
01-20-2014, 09:57 AM
My guess would be it was found in paperwork belonging to someone who used to work for the team. I don't see a reason why the SF Giants would sell items from their archives for profit.

HexsHeroes
01-20-2014, 10:39 AM

. . . who obtained it among old papers disposed of by the organization (whenever that might have occurred).

I seem to recall that something like that occurred involving the Detroit Tigers. Supposedly, several old filing cabinets were either disposed of, or auctioned off complete with contents. If I recall correctly, the filing cabinets and papers had sat for decades in a storage space in Tiger Stadium. Not sure when these artifacts became available. Supposedly, among the contents were team copies of signed contracts, scouting & ballplayer correspondence, expense reports, etc. going back to the early 1900's, during the first or second decade of the team's American League existence. Of interest to me were some of the obscure ballplayer names mentioned, among the signed contracts. The one name I recall most vividly is that of Win Mercer. There were at least two other names mentioned that also peaked my interest, but damn if I can remember them. I never heard whether Ty Cobb's first contract was present among those relics or not. It does make me wonder if such treasure troves still exist within some of the long-time, major sports organizations. People come, people go. So who continues to track what is stored where, within such businesses?

Scott Garner
01-20-2014, 12:38 PM

. . . who obtained it among old papers disposed of by the organization (whenever that might have occurred).

I seem to recall that something like that occurred involving the Detroit Tigers. Supposedly, several old filing cabinets were either disposed of, or auctioned off complete with contents. If I recall correctly, the filing cabinets and papers had sat for decades in a storage space in Tiger Stadium. Not sure when these artifacts became available. Supposedly, among the contents were team copies of signed contracts, scouting & ballplayer correspondence, expense reports, etc. going back to the early 1900's, during the first or second decade of the team's American League existence. Of interest to me were some of the obscure ballplayer names mentioned, among the signed contracts. The one name I recall most vividly is that of Win Mercer. There were at least two other names mentioned that also peaked my interest, but damn if I can remember them. I never heard whether Ty Cobb's first contract was present among those relics or not. It does make me wonder if such treasure troves still exist within some of the long-time, major sports organizations. People come, people go. So who continues to track what is stored where, within such businesses?

This also happened with the Angels organization when Disney bought them in 1996.

RichardSimon
01-20-2014, 12:46 PM
And with the Dodgers when a well known former player drove off with a ton of memorabilia, which was not being tossed away.

drcy
01-20-2014, 03:10 PM
The Giants have been selling game used items for longer than most other teams, and respected (and now deceased) baseball historian Dick Dobbins was director of their memorabilia department. Perhaps the Giants are more in tune with their history and artifacts than other teams. I once had an Ernie Lombardi autographed baseball card that Dobbins had signed in person at Lombardi's home while interviewing him for a PCL history book.

Cfern023
01-28-2014, 09:28 AM
And with the Dodgers when a well known former player drove off with a ton of memorabilia, which was not being tossed away.

Care to share? I'd love to hear and read more about that .

steve B
01-29-2014, 09:52 AM
There was a bunch of Red Sox stuff available around the early 90's. Mostly internal paperwork from the 70's-80's that was supposed to be thrown out. The person told to get rid of it all basically just loaded the boxes into his car instead of the dumpster.

Nothing great that I saw, but I did get an equipment receipt signed by Yaz.

One of my few autographs, and one of the few times I bought the better item instead of a boxful of "junk" (I think it was $20, but I could have had maybe 4 commons for the same price.)

I ran into the same thing later, found a plate from the 400 club on Ebay. The seller had worked there when they changed the name and was allowed to take a bunch of the old china if he wanted it. I got a couple more from him, and he came to deliver them since he'd be in town anyway.

Steve B

tazdmb
02-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Unfortunately, I guess someone figured out the answer to my question. I wouldn't touch this, even I could afford it.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=27426#more-27426

-I am not trying to this into commentary on haulsofshame, but he did have some pretty strong facts that is item was indeed stolen.

dgo71
02-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Interesting read. I can't imagine spending a quarter of a million dollars and not remembering when or to whom.

Runscott
02-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Unfortunately, I guess someone figured out the answer to my question. I wouldn't touch this, even I could afford it.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=27426#more-27426

-I am not trying to this into commentary on haulsofshame, but he did have some pretty strong facts that is item was indeed stolen.

One of our board members (Sunny) has provided detail about his Connor autograph, over in the John Rogers thread in the main forum. You might want to go over there and ask questions/make comments. I gave the last page a peek this morning (joining the morbidly curious), despite my promise to stay out of it, and I have to admit it's quite an interesting read.

tazdmb
02-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks, should make for a great read tonight. I didn't see how it exploded the last few weeks.