PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some pointers on selecting my next set.

shernan30
01-20-2014, 08:53 AM
After taking a 10 year hiatus from collector, do to limited funds while in college, but this year I turned 30 and I'm back. Another exciting part is my wife is a huge baseball fan and also collects (nothing pre-war though). Right now I trying to narrow down a few different sets to work on. One Tobacco or Caramel, a Post WWI, and a 1950's or 1960's set. This is where I need some help from the collectors out there. I don't want something I can finish by attending an average sized card show or something that would require my first born so I getting stuck. Below are a few ideas I have had ranked in order of how much I like them.

Tobacco/Caramel:
1. T206 Backs set
2. 1909 E92 Dockman & Sons set
3. T205 Gold Border set
4. E90-1 American Caramel set

Post WWI:
1. 1936 R312 Pastels set
2. 1934 Goudey set
3. 1939 R303A & R303B Goudey Premium

1950's and 1960's:
1. 1956 Topps
2. 1962 Topps
3. 1948 Leaf
4. 1953 Bowman Color

I look forward to any comments or help with making my final decisions. I plan to know my sets in time for the NSCC in Cleveland this coming July.

(Oh I also collect any cards I can find of the 1918 Yankees, the "Forgotten Murderers Row." Player's team must be listed as NY.)

Thanks, Shernan30

t206trader
01-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Speaking on behalf of the t206 set, this is not a set to be taken lightly. Even in low grade this set will easily set you back big money. Don't get me wrong it's incredibly fun but for a collector just coming back into the hobby it could get discouraging. I would start off with a t206 subset first. Say SL's or maybe a certain team or league run. If you enjoy this experience you can then parlay that into a "bigger fish to fry".

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
01-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Speaking on behalf of the t206 set, this is not a set to be taken lightly. Even in low grade this set will easily set you back big money. Don't get me wrong it's incredibly fun but for a collector just coming back into the hobby it could get discouraging. I would start off with a t206 subset first. Say SL's or maybe a certain team or league run. If you enjoy this experience you can then parlay that into a "bigger fish to fry".

Totally agree. I am 27 and on a budget and this set costs $. If you are going to do then take your time and wait for deals. It is a long process but that's what makes it so much fun. If it was easy then I would probably have gotten bored already.

edhans
01-20-2014, 10:14 AM
I always vote for E90-1. Doable, but won't be cheap. Even a rough Jackson will appraoch $10k. Tough SP Hall-of-Famers Waslh, Speaker, Young (Cle), Wagner (Throwing), Duffy, and Keeler (horixontal and red background) will be elusive and expensive. A beautiful set with lots of unique artwork. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Sean
01-20-2014, 12:55 PM
I love the T206 set, but a back run can be very expensive. Even in a low grade.
Blank- $1000
Lenox- at least $1000
Red Hindu- close to $1000
Piedmont 42- close to $1000
Uzit- $3-4000
Drum- $4-5000
Broadleaf 460- at least $5000
Lenox Brown- $8000
Old Mill Brown- $10-12,000 (and let me know if you find one for sale :D)
Ty Cobb back- don't even ask

I suggest what an earlier poster said. Do a team run, or maybe collect your favorite HOFs. Perhaps a back run of a particular player.
Once you get started, you may want the whole set. And there are plenty of us here to help with any questions you might have. :)

PS- Welcome to Net 54

shernan30
01-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the responses about the T206 back set. I've done a little research, but apparently not enough on that one. I came across a semi complete one on an auction site and thought it would be pretty sweet to work on. May take a stab at a sub set and see where it leads me.

Any thoughts on one of the 1930's sets? I keep going back and forth on the Goudey and the R312s.

dabigyankeeman
01-20-2014, 01:38 PM
1956 Topps baseball. Best looking Topps set ever. Great action shots and great head shots, super colors. Not overly large number of cards, not an overly large number of expensive cards, and it looks fantastic in an album all together. Looks best when complete if you put it in an album sorted by TEAM rather than NUMERICALLY. Go for it.

The 1934 Goudey is really nice set, but tragic that it doesnt have a Ruth card in it. If i was putting a 34 Goudey set together, when done, i would get one 33 Goudey Ruth and put it at the end in my album to supplement it.

On the earlier cards, the T205 is so colorful and such a neat design, and in sheets that display 15 cards at once it really looks impressive even with lessor condition cards.

EvilKing00
01-20-2014, 01:54 PM
your #3. T205 Gold Border set - Should do just the trick.

There are 221 or so cards in the set, there are 18 different back varaitions, team subsets, Minor league subsets, HOF ers and Short prints. As well as some hard to come up printing errors. You will not complete this set
attending an average sized card show or even a large one - you also wont have to put your kid on ebay to afford it, lol. Sure there are a few higher priced cards but nothing too crazy.

Full disclosure here - I have been working on the t205 set for just over a year and I have 70 cards so far, (I was very aggressive the 1st 6 months lol) its not a cake walk but it is attainable.

Its also IMO the 2ed most beautiful set ever made beside the turkey reds.

Good luck with what ever you choose!

vintagecpa
01-20-2014, 01:59 PM
I think if I were to pick one, it would be the T205 if you like the look of the set. There isn't any one card that will break the bank and it has most of the major stars represented with only one card (A huge plus for those working on a budget). Unlike some of the other sets, it is a challenging set (200+ cards) that you can complete in a reasonable amount of time. Good luck.

Paul S
01-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Steven, Welcome to the board. From what you list, you sound like a type collector. Why not just get a card or two from each set in which you are interested? Stick your big toe in the water to gauge the temperature and go from there. - Paul

shernan30
01-20-2014, 04:48 PM
Paul, you do make some sense there. I went to a show two weeks ago, my first one in years, and it was full of pre war cards. I was in heaven (while my wife was disappointed since she is only interested in modern cards) and wanted one of everything. Since then I've been bouncing around on the sets I'm interested. There are a few winter auctions going on right now that I may pick up a few different cards a see what I like best.

I do think I'm set on the 1956 Topps set though. There would have to be a lot of swaying to get that one to budge. Plus, of all the vintage cards I like thats the only one my wife likes (which means I get to buy as many as I want with no questions, lol.)

Leon
01-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Paul, you do make some sense there. I went to a show two weeks ago, my first one in years, and it was full of pre war cards. I was in heaven (while my wife was disappointed since she is only interested in modern cards) and wanted one of everything. Since then I've been bouncing around on the sets I'm interested. There are a few winter auctions going on right now that I may pick up a few different cards a see what I like best.

I do think I'm set on the 1956 Topps set though. There would have to be a lot of swaying to get that one to budge. Plus, of all the vintage cards I like thats the only one my wife likes (which means I get to buy as many as I want with no questions, lol.)

Type card collecting is a lot of fun and you don't have to spend big bucks on cards you don't want in order to finish a set.

mawitzi
01-20-2014, 05:35 PM
I recommend spending some time looking at the cards and then choosing the set that you find most attractive. I have been working on a 34 Goudey set and have enjoyed it. This is one of the nicest looking sets, IMO. You don't want to partially complete a set and decide that you don't like it.

I have not worked on a T card set, but you might consider the T205's. There is no one card that will prevent you fro finishing the set. This set has a lot of great looking HOF cards.

I agree with you on the 56 Topps set. I love all of the 50's Topps sets, but that one might be the nicest. The background scenes are great.

Good luck.

KCRfan1
01-20-2014, 05:51 PM
That 48 Leaf set will set you back a few bucks. Paige could run you 7 to 8k for a decent example and the set is loaded with short prints that will run 400 to 500 dollars each. I too like the 56 Topps, and the 53 Bowman set is the most beautiful set ever made. I could stare at a set of those Bowmans all day long. Good Luck with any of the sets you chose, and welcome back to collecting. It becomes a lot of fun when the wife supports your hobby / habit/ addiction to cards. :D

AddieJoss
01-20-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm partial to the T205 set. It has stats and writing and advertising all on the backs. It's is a large set with most of the hall of gamers you would want and solid short prints. It is a fun set and a good looking set.
Cory

x2drich2000
01-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Hello Steven, welcome to the board!

With any set, I think it's got to have something that appeals to you. From your lists, I would go with the E92, r312, and 62s

One thing I'd add if you wanted to do the. T206 back run you could somewhat limit the costs by not worrying about every series/factory designation. For instance by getting a broadleaf 350 you could ignore the cost of cost of the broadleaf 460 or by getting a common Piedmont 350, you could ignore the other 10? different Piedmont varieties. Of course this does solve the issue of the drum, Lenox, and uzit backs.

DJ