PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Dorskind's Collection

01-19-2014, 07:36 AM
The thread about "mint" cards reminded me of our most famous stickler for mint condition prewar baseball cards: Bruce Dorskind.

What happened to his collection? Was it donated to a museum? Was it purchased in a private sale?

birdman42
01-19-2014, 07:55 AM
Bruce's uncut panel of 4 Boston Garters was in the spring '13 REA sale. http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=24541

Bill

barrysloate
01-19-2014, 08:02 AM
I believe the bulk of it will be auctioned sometime this year. He never told me specifically what he was planning to do, so that is only an educated guess.

Bugsy
01-19-2014, 08:42 AM
This is all from memory, but I thought there was a thread where he said he was going to have REA sell his collection and the proceeds were going to go to a charity/organization, perhaps a hospital? Like I said, that was memory, but perhaps someone can search the archive.

Cardboard Junkie
01-19-2014, 09:54 AM
You mean you can't take it with you?:eek:

wonkaticket
01-19-2014, 10:14 AM
REA will be selling the Dorskind collection. I'm sure they will put something out etc.

01-19-2014, 02:46 PM
REA will be selling the Dorskind collection. I'm sure they will put something out etc.

I thought they did a good job presenting Mr. Joe P.'s collection; it's good to hear they're handling Mr. Dorskind's.

barrysloate
01-19-2014, 02:49 PM
It's a beautiful collection, and it will draw a lot of bidding. I look forward to seeing it in the catalog.

e107collector
01-19-2014, 04:16 PM
It's a beautiful collection, and it will draw a lot of bidding. I look forward to seeing it in the catalog.

Barry,

I agree, he had some unbelievable items in his collection. Should be a great catalog.

Tony

Robert_Lifson
01-19-2014, 04:51 PM
REA will be offering the balance of Bruce Dorskind’s collection in the spring auction, but we will not be separating items out in their own section with great fanfare attributing them to Bruce’s collection as that was always specifically not Bruce’s wish. Bruce had actually been selling his collection off over the past ten years due to health reasons (and also buying at the same time, just on a smaller scale) at both REA (for selling the better items) and a couple of other auctions for selling more modest value items. Many collectors, of course, will recognize some of Bruce’s items in the upcoming spring REA catalog, and we will probably make note of a few of his favorites such as his Zimmer Game and Four Base Hits sample and Just So Tobacco card sample. Bill is absolutely correct that the Boston Garter Uncut Strip of Four Cards that appeared on the cover of the spring 2013 REA catalog was Bruce’s. This was his all-time favorite item and even with this, while he knew that many would recognize it was his, he specifically requested we keep his name out of the write-up and all promotional information.

Interesting untold background story to the Boston Garter Uncut Strip: Bruce was always clear that this was his #1 favorite item. When he called to ask about consigning it, I was kind of shocked. I always thought that would be the last thing to go. Bruce was extremely sick at this time. He had been sick for a long time but his health had been rapidly deteriorating. His only request, which I was happy to accommodate (and would have done so even without the special request) was that it appear on the cover of the REA catalog. He was very clear: That was his dream for his most special item. This was essentially a death bed request. He didn’t have to sell it but was consigning it so that he could hopefully live to see it appear on the cover (which was far from a certainty at the time). We knew his situation was dire and were extremely concerned that he would never get to see it, so we made sure to send him early cover designs, interior layout pdfs, and proof copies so that he could see everything as soon as we had it. Thankfully he was able to see and appreciate and enjoy the final presentation and the entire auction very much. The auction was very important to him. It was not so important to him exactly what it sold for, but that it was presented and shared with the world in a way that he felt did justice to it. He was very pleased about everything. Sometimes an auction is more than an auction. I always thought that the excitement of knowing the presentation of his top prize was in the near future may have even played a role in helping him continue on a little longer or with a little more strength than otherwise. At the very least, it was a dream that meant a lot to him fulfilled.

Sincerely,

Robert Lifson

Robert Edward Auctions LLC

www.robertedwardauctions.com

01-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Thank you very much for the post Mr. Lifson.

MikeGarcia
01-19-2014, 05:00 PM
We have some awesome guys in our little world .

joeadcock
01-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Robert

Thanks for sharing that.

ibuysportsephemera
01-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Great back story...thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Stonepony
01-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Puts things in perspective, thank you for that story

Joe_G.
01-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Thanks for chiming in Rob, well done.

Leon
01-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks for sharing the story, Rob, and good luck in the auction.

barrysloate
01-19-2014, 06:18 PM
That was a great story. I know that Bruce's favorite single card was his Van Haltren Four Base Hits, which he purchased in the late 1970's for only several hundred dollars! I'm sure he would have loved to see it sell, but it wasn't meant to be.

ethicsprof
01-19-2014, 06:20 PM
thank you for a beautifully written and movingly articulated story of
Bruce's love for this amazing card and your most kind handling of his wishes.

all the best,
Barry

geor952
01-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Rob,
What a wonderful tribute, thanks for sharing. I look forward to the spring auction.

cubsguy1969
01-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks so much for sharing that. Wonderful story.
Rob

BlueSky
01-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Rob,

Thanks for the story on Bruce's collection and wishes. Looking forward to the Spring auction.

Marty

bbpostcards
01-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Bruce was always kind and friendly to me in our phone chats and in our dealings together. He had a true passion for the hobby, and not just for improving his own collection. Case in point: he had an item that would fill a hole in my collection and made sure we worked out a trade so I could acquire it from him. He didn't have to do that. He just wanted to be nice. That's the Bruce I knew.

chris6net
01-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Rob thanks, I met Bruce maybe 6 times and each time he took the time to talk to me a be very pleasant to me a nobody in the hobby. Bruce was a class act!
CN

Kenny Cole
01-19-2014, 09:40 PM
LOL, what a bunch of revisionist history. I guess I'll be the bad guy and say it first. Bruce was a dick. The emails he would send you for almost no reason were so out of line as to be psychopathic. I had to block him and told him that if I ever saw him in person I would kick his fat ass. I wouldn't have pissed on him if he was on fire.

I don't wish for anyone to die, but I sure didn't mourn him for even a second when I heard he had. IMO, He was a sad, vile, POS. I hope REA performs an exorcism over his cards before they are sold so that there is no Brucii miasma hanging over them to curse the next owner.

Cardboard Junkie
01-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Right On, Kenny! I agree.

nolemmings
01-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Geez Kenny, did you have money on the 49ers? :D

Kenny Cole
01-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Nope, Patriots. :)

Publius
01-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Incredibly classy write up Rob, that was a testament to REA!

the 'stache
01-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Ah, so this is what it means to experience synchronicity.

I received the spring 2006 issue of Old Cardboard a little over a week ago, and I immediately opened to the T202 Hassan Triple Folders article I purchased the magazine for. Opposite of the story was a full page advertisement for "America's Toughest Want List". As I looked over Bruce's ad, the question of "what happened to his collection?" popped into my head, and I thought for a second about posing the question here on the forum. But I soon became absorbed in the article, and completely forgot about doing so. So, imagine my surprise at seeing this discussion.

CW
01-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Wow... while the things said about Bruce may be true, there is a time and place for everything. Plus, it's not like you're telling us something we didn't already know or hear about many times before.

Nice writeup Rob. REA did indeed present that piece very well, especially with that cool, full size foldout. Looking forward to the next catalog...

gnaz01
01-20-2014, 03:41 AM
Classy write up, Rob. Thanks for the interesting back story. Can't wait for the spring auction.

barrysloate
01-20-2014, 04:09 AM
Bruce was polarizing. Sometimes he was a gentleman, other times his behavior was totally bizarre. He was a tough guy to figure out.

Exhibitman
01-20-2014, 09:26 AM
LOL, what a bunch of revisionist history. I guess I'll be the bad guy and say it first. Bruce was a dick. The emails he would send you for almost no reason were so out of line as to be psychopathic. I had to block him and told him that if I ever saw him in person I would kick his fat ass. I wouldn't have pissed on him if he was on fire.

I don't wish for anyone to die, but I sure didn't mourn him for even a second when I heard he had. IMO, He was a sad, vile, POS. I hope REA performs an exorcism over his cards before they are sold so that there is no Brucii miasma hanging over them to curse the next owner.

Nuf ced!

A Brucii Haiku:

Sad little man,
Mean internet troll,
Died alone.

wonkaticket
01-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Kenny do you feel better? While I agree Bruce was an odd bird who said some nasty stuff. Does kicking the body of dead man really make it all better? If anything you just went to Bruce’s level, so even in death the guys getting the better of you.

David as for your post you were hardly a member here when Bruce was around so not sure why you’re jumping on the bandwagon? :confused:

I don’t think anyone is having a love in about Bruce I just think people are taking the high road and seeing what little positive there could be around a man who was very publicly negative a lot of the time.

Oh and I got my lawsuit threats, death threats and class war emails as well.

Bpm0014
01-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Isn't a haiku:

??

Leon
01-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Have to mostly agree with Wonka on this one. I am not sure he went after anyone more than myself. And I don't think he ever realized I was one of his only defenders on the board. When someone passes away, unless they physically hurt me or my family, I prefer to let it go. Bruce had some good qualities too. I think he led a complicated and uneasy life. RIP Bruce.....

Rich Klein
01-20-2014, 09:58 AM
When he passed and I read the obits, he like many of us was a complicated man and I hope he found the peace he never did on earth.

And I hope wherever he is, he continues to find items for his collection

Rich

Cardboard Junkie
01-20-2014, 10:02 AM
I suppose we should lighten up on the memory of a dead man. It's not like he got caught stealing from the NYPL or anything.

nolemmings
01-20-2014, 10:02 AM
And I hope wherever he is, he continues to find items for his collection

Are you kidding? While Kenny was taking the time to blast him, Bruce closed the deal on adding five more high-grade cards to the collection.

wonkaticket
01-20-2014, 10:09 AM
I suppose we should lighten up on the memory of a dead man. It's not like he got caught stealing from the NYPL or anything.

David besides tell tall tales about Brown Lenox cards you find in binders is there more to your shtick that I should know about? :)

My point was pretty simple most folks posting in here had beefs or butt heads with Bruce so I get the heat. You however were hardly here or not here at all when Bruce was on fire so I ask again besides looking to join in the rain deer games why jump on the bandwagon?

Cardboard Junkie
01-20-2014, 10:20 AM
John, I was here, do the math. :) Dave.

barrysloate
01-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Bruce did not know how to get along with the people on this board, there is no dispute there. Although he had many friends, mostly in business, he lived the life of a loner. He had no companion or children and chose to spend all his time and energy working and collecting. He did not have good social skills. I don't blame anyone on this board whom he attacked for being angry at him. But as John said, what is to be gained by having a cow now? He is no longer with us so let's just move on.

ElCabron
01-20-2014, 11:50 AM
I like what Rob wrote, simply because it almost humanized someone who was barely human, outside of biology. I can understand why many think it best to let bygones be bygones now that Bruce is dead, but I don't think it's so easy for those whose families he threatened or wished to die. If you don't agree with Kenny posting about Bruce at all, that's one thing, but no one can deny that KENNY IS EXACTLY RIGHT. Everything he said about Bruce is true.

Personally, I don't harbor any feelings at all about Bruce. I realize who he was and his death doesn't wash that away. I don't feel the need to pile on and I believe in respecting the dead, but maybe this case is a bit of an exception to that for some people. He was an asshole to me sometimes, just like he was to everyone else, but he never threatened my family, so I actually found most of his rants against me and others to be humorous. But if he had crossed that line with me like he did with others, I would have tracked him down in person and there would have been consequences for his words. And I'd be spitting on his grave right now. Hopefully everyone that he treated that way can eventually let go of any feelings about Bruce because resentments are poison and they certainly aren't affecting Bruce. He's gone.

It helps to realize that no one can treat people so horribly unless they are miserable themselves or mentally ill. Perhaps some compassion would be appropriate for either one. And it's possible Bruce was both.

Sometimes when people speak kindly of Bruce, for the sole reason that is no longer with us, I wonder what Bruce would say about various people if they had died and he was still with us. I'm sure he's speak fondly and respectfully about them, right?

In any case, Bruce's life is incredibly sad to think about and serves as a cautionary tale to anyone born with the collecting gene. My biggest fear is winding up like him. An incomprehensibly shallow existence that gave new meaning to the word "alone."

-Ryan

wonkaticket
01-20-2014, 12:03 PM
As I said before Kenny wasn’t wrong Bruce was a piece of work no doubt. All I’m saying is piling on a dead guy doesn’t make anything better. If anything it drags Kenny down to Bruce’s level as piling on a dead guy is something I can see Bruce doing. As for all the tough guy talk about tracking him down, beating him up that’s typical internet talk nothing more. Bottom line nobody did anything to Bruce ever. The guy pushed everyone’s buttons and nothing was done ever besides pissing and moaning and the occasional ban. Personally I was shocked he was allowed back on the board so many times, a few pissing matches some name calling all part of the internet experience. However using a forum and it’s contacts for death threats etc. not needed for me one death threat and that would have been the end of Bruce's membership.

In the end the guy died alone, with very few friends and certainly very little in the way of hobby respect the one thing he wanted more than all. To me what more could you want as payback on a guy? :confused:

ctownboy
01-20-2014, 12:19 PM
I have been on the board for at least seven years now. I never met or spoke with the Brucii. I never did any deals with them (him) and he never said anything negative towards me.

HOWEVER........

I read plenty of things that he wrote and I found him to be a real _________ fill in the blank.

His elitist, snobbish attitude really rubbed me the wrong way.

Having said that, my questions are as follows: If a person is a (excuse the language that follows) dick, prick, asshole, POS, SOB, putz, etc, WHEN is the right time to say that?

Often times, it seemed, people would get in a confrontation on the board with the Brucii and others who weren't involved said that was Off Topic and should be taken off the board.

There were times that people would say something untowards about the Brucii and others would say that wasn't right because they (he) wasn't there to defend themselves (himself).

Now, after he is dead and gone, there have been people who have said what they honestly feel about the Brucii and others are saying that now is not the time and this is nto hte palce to say those things.

So, my questions are, for future reference, when and where is/are the right time to say those things?

I ask because there might be a time in the future that I might have to say something bad towards another board member and I want to know what the proper etiquette is for this type of behavior. I don't plan on bad mouthing anybody and i hope it never comes to that but just in case.....

David

ElCabron
01-20-2014, 12:25 PM
You should probably look in the mirror about "typical internet talk." I really don't care what anyone else did or didn't do to Bruce and his threats. You don't know me, so I guess I can see why you'd interpret what I said as "tough guy talk." I don't claim to some bad ass. But some people are bad choices to mess with. Especially when you threaten their family members. I should probably leave it at that.

I am not a different person in real life than I am on the internet. Bruce was. Are you?

-Ryan

barrysloate
01-20-2014, 12:26 PM
I've probably defended Bruce more than anyone else on this board, and for the record he could be just as nasty to me as everyone else. He acted in ways so antisocial that it was hard for me to understand. For example, he once sent me an email wishing Judy and me a happy new year, then concluded it with one of his political screeds, followed by "God Bless the 1%." I tried explaining to him that that was not an appropriate way to send good wishes to someone, and asked him to keep politics out of his personal emails. Yet every time he sent me an email, he did it again. To repeat, his social skills were abysmal. He had some serious issues. And for those he sent death threats to, they had every right to blast him back as loud and as hard as they wanted. He deserved it.

But now it's time to move on. He saw the world as a giant battlefield and a war that he had to fight every day, in every way, but that war is over now.

wonkaticket
01-20-2014, 12:33 PM
David fair question.

I think anytime you personally feel it’s right, just don’t be offended if others disagree with your timing. You guys can slam me all you want now or when I kick the bucket. I'd like you to do it now so I can enjoy some of the shots. :)

My point in saying why now is it seems silly he was sad little man who died in relative obscurity the exact opposite of his inflated internet persona. Slamming him and taking shots now while they may be deserved makes one look small sort of like Bruce. Now I know of Kenny and from what I have seen he’s far from a bad guy and is nothing like Bruce.

So why get down in the mud with the guy? Why even give the SOB the satisfaction of talking about him heck even in death the guy is ruffling feathers…something says that would have given Bruce satisfaction BTW.

That’s all I’m saying, but it’s the internet and a forum so let your thoughts rip your choice.

wonkaticket
01-20-2014, 12:39 PM
You should probably look in the mirror about "typical internet talk." I really don't care what anyone else did or didn't do to Bruce and his threats. You don't know me, so I guess I can see why you'd interpret what I said as "tough guy talk." I don't claim to some bad ass. But some people are bad choices to mess with. Especially when you threaten their family members. I should probably leave it at that.

I am not a different person in real life than I am on the internet. Bruce was. Are you?

-Ryan

Ryan, yes I find it hard to believe you’re going to go all Charles Bronson on anyone including Bruce for ruffling your feathers with a nasty email. If you are that person then you have bigger issues than a chat board or Bruce's of the world. I guess Bruce was lucky that he didn’t ever get on your bad side.

I’ll be sure to look over my shoulder today when I go to the store Ryan now that I have made the mistake of misjudging you. :)

Peter_Spaeth
01-20-2014, 12:46 PM
The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.

This seems to be true in Bruce's case as some people are not willing to forgive him even after a premature and apparently lonely death.

autograf
01-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Was looking back through my Gmail account as I remember a couple tenuous emails with Bruce.....couldnt find any death threats but he'd bought a few issues of Trader Speaks from me.....older issues....1971 or so....for $5-$10 each and I was missing a few....I emailed him with my want list and he emailed back that they (Dorskind et al) had a few I needed at $100 each.....pretty fair offer considering what he'd bought them from me for. My retort.....

"Whilst we appreciate your offer, we will wait till the normally priced $5 and $10 copies appear. In addition, we will remember your generous offer when the Dorskind group wants to buy items from the Boblitt group. Prices may be slightly higher than advertised.
Best regards for a joyous holiday season......"

Interesting threads going about end of life issues......Ceresi v. Dorskind.....hopefully, when we're gone, we will have more of the sentiments expressed in Ceresi's than Dorskind's. Everyone remembers the episodes with Bruce.....everyone has to deal with that the way they want....I don't see the need to pile on, but like Ryan said, my family wasn't threatened either. Not that I would have realistically taken those threats seriously to begin with. I genuinely believe he had some form of psychoses that clouded his ability to get along with the rest of the humans......

ElCabron
01-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Ryan, yes I find it hard to believe you’re going to go all Charles Bronson on anyone including Bruce for ruffling your feathers with a nasty email.

Yes, because clearly I'm so thin-skinned that any time I receive an email I do not like, I track them down and beat them up. As I previously stated (and you seem to have overlooked) I got plenty of nasty emails from Bruce, all of which I laughed off or responded to in a harmlessly snarky way. I'm not sure if you don't have a family or why it's so hard for you to understand that it's not okay to make threats against someone's family. He didn't do that to me. He did to others. Others didn't respond to it the way I would have. If you're curious about how I'd respond, just send me a private message threatening my family and you'll find out. Otherwise, you're probably safe not looking over your shoulder.

-Ryan

wonkaticket
01-20-2014, 01:01 PM
The one thing this thread as brought to light. Is even in death Bruce has managed to get the board all fired up…if there’s an afterlife he has to be wanting to post so bad right now. :)

oldjudge
01-20-2014, 01:03 PM
David--I always have believed that you praise people in public and chastise them in private. I disagreed with a lot of things Bruce said, but I took them up with him on a private level, never be labored a point, and moved on when I had said what I thought needed to be said. I see no purpose in ranting about someone after they have passed away. It will not change anything, only create arguments. We can all remember Bruce in any way we choose. I choose to remember him in the way he behaved when we met in person, which was a much nicer, more sharing person that his chat board persona. Years ago he sold me one of my favorite cards, an ExMT Pittsburgh K-Bats team card. When I see the card I smile and think of my good experiences with Bruce. The bad ones, they were buried with his body.

wonkaticket
01-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Yes, because clearly I'm so thin-skinned that any time I receive an email I do not like, I track them down and beat them up. As I previously stated (and you seem to have overlooked) I got plenty of nasty emails from Bruce, all of which I laughed off or responded to in a harmlessly snarky way. I'm not sure if you don't have a family or why it's so hard for you to understand that it's not okay to make threats against someone's family. He didn't do that to me. He did to others. Others didn't respond to it the way I would have. If you're curious about how I'd respond, just send me a private message threatening my family and you'll find out. Otherwise, you're probably safe not looking over your shoulder.

-Ryan

Yes I have a family Ryan, and yes I would be offended, angry all of the above. Not sure what your point is....I get it you would not take that lightly noted…not sure many would BTW.

Again the offender is as dead as dead can be and while he was alive he played these nasty shenanigans ad nauseam and nothing was ever done other than to complain about him, give him threads and more attention those are the facts. Even in death he still manages to get a thread.

Exhibitman
01-20-2014, 01:09 PM
So why get down in the mud with the guy? Why even give the SOB the satisfaction of talking about him heck even in death the guy is ruffling feathers…something says that would have given Bruce satisfaction BTW.

Because I am a mean, petty person with a long memory and nothing else to do?

wonkaticket
01-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Because I am a mean, petty person with a long memory and nothing else to do?

LOL, I love you Adam, at least your honest about it. :D

toppcat
01-20-2014, 02:56 PM
This thread is a good reminder that the only thing you ever really own is your name.

WhenItWasAHobby
01-20-2014, 02:59 PM
This thread is a good reminder that the only thing you ever really own is your name.

Actually, Bruce's name will be up for auction too. ;)

z28jd
01-20-2014, 03:18 PM
As I said before Kenny wasn’t wrong Bruce was a piece of work no doubt. All I’m saying is piling on a dead guy doesn’t make anything better. If anything it drags Kenny down to Bruce’s level as piling on a dead guy is something I can see Bruce doing. As for all the tough guy talk about tracking him down, beating him up that’s typical internet talk nothing more. Bottom line nobody did anything to Bruce ever. The guy pushed everyone’s buttons and nothing was done ever besides pissing and moaning and the occasional ban. Personally I was shocked he was allowed back on the board so many times, a few pissing matches some name calling all part of the internet experience. However using a forum and it’s contacts for death threats etc. not needed for me one death threat and that would have been the end of Bruce's membership.

In the end the guy died alone, with very few friends and certainly very little in the way of hobby respect the one thing he wanted more than all. To me what more could you want as payback on a guy? :confused:

I think your last sentence is the best. I'm shocked to see so many people remembering him as a good person with all the bad things I've read and heard. I never dealt with him or even talked to him(that I can remember) and there was a great reason, it was because no one liked him. Therefore I have nothing personal bad to say about him, but obviously nothing good either. I know if I did have something from his wantlist, I would have told him about it and not sold it to him because of how he treated others.

felada
01-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Norris' collection?

He was another collector that could be difficult to deal with

jbsports33
01-20-2014, 03:28 PM
REA - thanks for the info! Nice story for a long time collector

Jimmy

ErikV
01-20-2014, 05:49 PM
I read this post and I almost passed on commenting, but then it
dawned on me; today is MLK day. This quote from Dr King resonated
with me:

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence
of our friends.

I wasn't a "friend" of Bruce. In fact, my contact with him was limited.
The exchanges we had were few, but courteous. For those who had a different
experience of Bruce, I am truly sorry.

I am not a clinical psychologist, nor am I am expert on human behavior,
so this is a simple layman's opinion. In my experience I have found that
those who have terribly bad things to say to others are emotionally hurt
and are defensive for any number of reasons: low self esteem, depressed,
or the like. It is well known that Bruce displayed antisocial behavior. This
in itself should have been an indicator that he wasn't emotionally well. It
would seem to me that he likely suffered from some degree of emotional pain
that none of us are aware of.

I am not a deeply religious man, but a teacher once asked which of us are
without sin that we should cast the first stone at anyone? I am not a righteous
man, nor am I without sin. But believe me, I have read each post on this thread
where Bruce's character was figuratively stoned to death.

Mr Lifson, Mr Sloate and Leon I thought it classy of each of you to -
at the very least - to speak humbly and find the good in our former
board member.

For anyone reading this, you don't need to agree with me. In fact, if
you want you can even cast stones at me. It is my hope that one day
when I am judged that the least I would be told is that I was a friend to
all and my words and actions showed it.

ErikV

Kenny Cole
01-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Maybe the reason Bruce died alone is that he would send lots of people -- not just me -- pms and emails with nice stuff like he hoped you would be held down and have to watch your wife be gang-raped or that he hoped your entire family died screaming in a fire. And I should respect him because he did one thing right and died? I don't think so. F--k him. I didn't say what I wanted to say on the thread about his death out of respect for Barry, but this is not that thread.

Ryan is probably right -- I should try to get over that and simply realize that he was a psychotic who could sometimes be charming, or at least nice, even to the "little people." So could Ted Bundy. In any event, I guess I'm not there yet. I'm more like Adam. I guess I'll have to work on doing better. And John, to answer your first post and question, I do feel a little better having said what I said. It was somewhat cathartic.

calvindog
01-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Why do we assume Bruce died alone? Because none of his friends on Net 54 were at his deathbed? Hell, some Net 54 people who consider themselves friends of others aren't even contacted when the other person is sick.

Kenny Cole
01-20-2014, 06:27 PM
Jeff,

I assume that he died alone because, as you can tell, I think he was a sorry son of a bitch and can't imagine anyone wanting to be by his bedside when he went. In any event, that's my working hypothesis and I'm going to go with it until presented with evidence to the contrary.

barrysloate
01-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Maybe the reason Bruce died alone is that he would send lots of people -- not just me -- pms and emails with nice stuff like he hoped you would be held down and have to watch your wife be gang-raped or that he hoped your entire family died screaming in a fire. And I should respect him because he did one thing right and died? I don't think so. F--k him. I didn't say what I wanted to say on the thread about his death out of respect for Barry, but this is not that thread.

Ryan is probably right -- I should try to get over that and simply realize that he was a psychotic who could sometimes be charming, or at least nice, even to the "little people." So could Ted Bundy. In any event, I guess I'm not there yet. I'm more like Adam. I guess I'll have to work on doing better. And John, to answer your first post and question, I do feel a little better having said what I said. It was somewhat cathartic.

No Kenny, you don't have to respect him, and I was as outraged by his posts as anyone. But he's no longer here so why not just move on. The battle is over.

barrysloate
01-20-2014, 06:35 PM
And I'm not sure Bruce died alone. He had a brother and his father is still living, and I'm sure it was heartbreaking for his father to outlive his son. He also had many friends who paid him tribute on a website developed after he died.

His private messages to people were horrific, I used to practically scream at him to stop doing it, and he never even listened to me once. He had some serious issues that he didn't know how to deal with. But he's gone.

Kenny Cole
01-20-2014, 06:42 PM
No Kenny, you don't have to respect him, and I was as outraged by his posts as anyone. But he's no longer here so why not just move on. The battle is over.

Barry, you should probably offer, and I should probably take, a Ghandi class. :) However, IMO, there are some things that transcend death. Some of the stuff Bruce did and sent to me fit that category.

It is wonderful for REA to give a glowing write-up for Bruce's collection. I've never seen it, but hear its awesome. Ultimately, what that means is that they get to sell the collection of a sad, pathetic little man who couldn't even attract a mate. What an epitaph.

slidekellyslide
01-20-2014, 06:50 PM
I always felt that his wish that I be dead was evened out when it made the New York Daily News blog. I'm sure that was embarrassing to him..or at least I hope it was.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/iteam/2008/10/alls-fair-in-love-and-card-col.html

I don't think it even mattered if you were nice to Bruce, he didn't care...I once did him a favor and sent him some xerox copies of an old newspaper article I had because I guess he couldn't figure out how to open a picture in his email...he neither thanked me or even acknowledged my favor to him.

I was privy to many of the nasty emails he sent members of the board, I'm not a psychologist, but there was something definitely wrong with that guy. I believe the only time I ever voted in his favor to return was when we found out he was very sick.

barrysloate
01-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Kenny- I understand how you and others feel. I could get pretty pissed off at him too. But if he wouldn't listen to me then, he sure can't now. I'd rather focus on the upcoming sale of his collection. That's the legacy he left.

ElCabron
01-20-2014, 07:09 PM
Bruce died alone because that's exactly how he lived due to how he treated people. Whether or not someone was there at the time of his passing is irrelevant. He died alone, in the truest sense.

-Ryan

Peter_Spaeth
01-20-2014, 07:17 PM
On August 1, 2013 the world lost a thought-leader, mentor, philanthropist, successful businessman and wonderful friend named Bruce Dorskind. He was a curator of information, stories, statistics and trends. Moreover, Bruce was a true collector- of business cards, baseball cards and other memorabilia, but most of all people. Truly embracing the concept of social before social media existed, Bruce stayed close to his wide array of friends and business contacts around the world through frequent calls, emails, meetings and news clippings. His sphere of influence is only overshadowed by our collective sadness in his passing.

http://brucedorskindremembered.com/

ullmandds
01-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Wow...what a smokescreen! Did Bruce write that himself!

Peter_Spaeth
01-20-2014, 07:24 PM
Wow...what a smokescreen! Did Bruce write that himself!

Doubt it, there are numerous tributes on the site. Complex story, it seems.

ullmandds
01-20-2014, 07:28 PM
hmmm...just goes to show that on the internet one can create whatever persona/image they choose to...maybe this is why internet dating is so difficult!!!!!

MVSNYC
01-20-2014, 07:30 PM
maybe this is why internet dating is so difficult!!!!!

...or so easy. ;)

calvindog
01-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Doubt it, there are numerous tributes on the site. Complex story, it seems.

Wow, lots of nice things written about Bruce on that site -- maybe he just didn't like baseball card hobbyists :)

joeadcock
01-21-2014, 09:48 AM
As Charlton Heston said:".....may God have mercy on your soul".

No one will ever know(unless someone very close to him at end), if he did repent of what he loosened on earth.

ramram
01-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Hmm. I wonder which one of Bruce's "we" personas passed away? I'm sure the surviving Brucii attended the funeral. I wonder how they felt about him.

npa589
01-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Rosebud.

Cardboard Junkie
01-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Rosebud.

Nicely done, Nate, nicely done.:)

T206Collector
01-21-2014, 03:16 PM
The one thing this thread as brought to light. Is even in death Bruce has managed to get the board all fired up…if there’s an afterlife he has to be wanting to post so bad right now. :)

+1

Big Six
01-21-2014, 06:22 PM
He's busy hunting down that Archive guy in the afterlife...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric72
01-21-2014, 07:51 PM
May Bruce find peace...I sincerely hope that he has. And may all of the segments of his collection that are being auctioned find truly appreciative new owners.

BTW - I understand that he was abrasive to some of the members of this board...downright abusive, if I read correctly. Having said this, I agree with those who posit that slamming him after his passing accomplishes nothing positive.

There's an auction coming up, ladies and gentlemen. Should we be talking about the material being offered for sale, or quibbling over personal opinions regarding the previous owner?

Best,

Eric

Exhibitman
01-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Quibbling over personal opinions regarding the previous owner. Definitely.

ErikV
01-21-2014, 09:35 PM
"There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us.
When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies"

-Martin Luther King

ErikV

mrvster
01-23-2014, 08:00 PM
may he rest in peace.....I did not have any dealings with Mr. Bruce, nor did I know him, but I have read his posts in the past.....either way anyone feels about this gentleman, it looks like he left quite an impression on the hobby, even in the afterlife......that says a lot for the person he was....I try not to post on these subjects too much, I try to find the positive in people no matter what.....I believe Mr. Bruce had/has a passion for the hobby we all treasure so much, and that is an intangible that no cardboard can replace....RIP Bruce D. Americas Toughest Wantlist:)

tbob
01-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Bruce died alone because that's exactly how he lived due to how he treated people. Whether or not someone was there at the time of his passing is irrelevant. He died alone, in the truest sense.

-Ryan

+1. Well said Ryan. I escaped the angry death threat and other nasty emails but I was upset with how my friends on this Board were treated by Bruce. When I read Bruce's comments about the only important thing in life to him was not friends, but pieces of cardboard, I think about It's a Wonderful Life when Jimmy Stewart receives the book with the inscription that no man is a failure who has friends. Sadly Bruce may have rejoiced in his collection but never realized how much more important it is to have friends...

CW
01-24-2014, 05:03 PM
I let a friend at work borrow a CD from me, Chick Corea's Friends. Later that day, the same friend sent me an email pointing out this passage from the CD's liner notes. Posted here as it seems appropriate, and falls in line with tbob's comment above...

"One night I sat wrapped up in the worries and problems of myself and the world around me. It all looked very dim.

I looked at all the material objects that I owned and suddenly realized that they all had very little meaning without the comfort, safeness and joy of the friendships I have with my friends.

I thought of my friends and how much our companionship and love meant to me and I felt very rich in the actual treasures of life. Life no longer looked dim but very bright and the things that were problems now looked like so many small imperfections which simply needed tending and repair."

-Chick Corea

Peter_Spaeth
01-24-2014, 05:06 PM
+1. Well said Ryan. I escaped the angry death threat and other nasty emails but I was upset with how my friends on this Board were treated by Bruce. When I read Bruce's comments about the only important thing in life to him was not friends, but pieces of cardboard, I think about It's a Wonderful Life when Jimmy Stewart receives the book with the inscription that no man is a failure who has friends. Sadly Bruce may have rejoiced in his collection but never realized how much more important it is to have friends...

I suspect that comment was just made for effect, given that Bruce obviously had many friends as evident from the link I posted before.

ElCabron
01-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Peter,

First, I'm not entirely convinced that page is legit and not something Bruce concocted himself. For the sake of not wanting to be that jaded, let's say it's real. The thing that struck me was that most of these people hadn't kept in touch with Bruce in years and were basing their positive experiences on who he was 20 years ago. Maybe he was different years ago. It's intriguing.

I began to wonder (and I'm actually saying this from a place of compassion and seeking to understand, not as a joke or a dig on Bruce) if it might have been possible that he actually had some kind of brain issue, a physiological one (tumor? trauma?) that altered his brain in a way that somehow created a compartmentalized psychopathic/sociopathic persona that was limited only to his online interactions with people. As if it was impossible for him to view people online as actual human beings. Maybe it got worse and worse over the years. Clearly from what most board members who met him or spent any time with him person say, he was a completely different guy in person. Maybe some people shoot people at random from a clocktower, and others threaten people and their families on baseball card chat boards.

I realize it sounds like I'm playing armchair headshrinker, but it's not even a theory I'm proposing, just something I thought about after seeing that tribute page. It's actually nice to read positive things about him from people who had absolutely no idea who he was in our community.

I also wondered what any of those people would think if they did a google search for "Bruce Dorskind." Would they be shocked to learn of how insanely and horribly he treated people in his "hobby." Or do they know about that side of him and chalk it up to him being "eccentric" or "complicated"?

I guess we'll never really know, and I suppose it doesn't really matter. I just found that link to be interesting, whatever it means. None of that changes the fact that he died alone. He was proud of the fact that his cards and memorabilia gave him the same joy (in his mind) and sense of fulfillment that the rest of us suckers mainly get from raising our children and spending time with our families. I think it's tragic that anyone could leave this world THAT alone, regardless of how awful he was to people and the fact that he chose that for himself.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about Mr. Dorskind. And that's all the energy I care to expend on thinking about him.

-Ryan

Leon
01-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Interesting thoughts Ryan. I think that somehow he probably changed over the last years of his life. He surely wasn't the person in all of those memorials which we knew. From day one that I knew him I always thought he suffered from Extremely Low Self Esteem. I thought that was the root of his issues. We'll never know but maybe he is at peace now because he didn't seem to be by the way he acted towards our members and myself.

joshleland
01-26-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm sorry to say Bruce was pretty much the same over time. I knew him for
25+ years and he was pretty much the same all the way through. A unique person but unfortunately very angry for reasons unknown to myself. I do find it distasteful to attack the dead similar to the Rick Kohl thread I read but I understand if I don't agree.

Bruce was hot and cold, at times nice to me and at times really went out of his way to hurt me in surprisingly powerful ways even though I never did anything to him. Still I was always friendly to him regardless. I don't hate him because I see/saw a guy in a lot of pain and there was nothing I could do to make his lot in life any worse than what he brought upon himself. BTW, I am pretty sure that internet site is the real thing and was happy to see that he had one hobby friend in Corey Shanus.

Bruce was simply a social misfit which has been pointed out fluently in this thread. But aren't most of us here social misfits in some way(s)? Either now and/or in the past? Christ, we buy, sell and trade baseball and sports s***t in our spare or full times and love it. I suggest we cut each other and ourselves a break here and there. Including someone like Bruce Dorskind.

JEFFV96MASTERS
01-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Post/opinion no longer available

WhenItWasAHobby
01-26-2014, 07:52 PM
I've never dealt with Bruce D, but I recall reading his responses in many threads and I would only summarize some of his responses as tragically sad.

I believe if there is anything that can be gleaned from this experience is that our reputations outlive us. Whether it is appropriate to pile on someone after they die can be debated endlessly, but how you remember someone who has passed on can't be easily erased.

I've met my fair share of collectors the past 25 years who've pulled some off some shameless stunts and cut-throat maneuvers in order to gain some advantage over myself and other collectors. How collectors like that live with themselves and take pride in their collections is incomprehensible in my opinion.

Fortunately I've also met many more decent people and made many good friends in this hobby and for that I am very grateful.

barrysloate
01-27-2014, 04:22 AM
I once read an article about the characteristics of narcissism, and when I finished it hit me that everything I read described Bruce perfectly. He had serious emotional issues and I guess he was never willing or able to own up to them. I think he saw himself as perfect, and when I once asked him if he had feelings of low self esteem he told me he loved himself. True story.

slidekellyslide
01-27-2014, 08:33 AM
I think it's possible he just enjoyed being an a-hole.

autograf
01-27-2014, 08:46 AM
An interesting dichotomy where someone can apparently be SO different with one group and another. IF the sentiments on the web page are correct. Maybe he was bipolar or schizophrenic.....or like Dan said.....just enjoyed being an a-hole. We'll never know.

barrysloate
01-27-2014, 10:04 AM
I often imagined that he was teased and bullied as a child, and as he got older and independent, he turned into a bully himself. And the internet was the perfect vehicle- you can say anything to anybody as long as they are a thousand miles away. Of course, I never saw him being abusive when he was face to face with anyone. He was always courteous.

Whatever it was, he didn't seem to want to address it. He was successful in business and built a nice collection, and that's all that seemed to matter.

Clutch-Hitter
01-27-2014, 11:20 AM

Peter_Spaeth
01-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Human beings are complex. My two cents, it's inappropriate to try to posthumously psychoanalyze Bruce over the internet and find a DSM-IV (or is it now V?) category for him.

Cardboard Junkie
01-27-2014, 11:58 AM
It may not be appropriate, but it is cheap entertainment, and funnier than shit.:D

ALR-bishop
01-27-2014, 12:13 PM
"My young son asked me what happens after we die. I told him we get buried under a bunch of dirt and worms eat our bodies. I guess I should have told him the truth--that most of us go to hell and burn for eternity-- but I did not want to upset him".....Jack Handy

Sean
01-27-2014, 12:18 PM
What was the name of that Eastwood movie where he preferred to be alone, befriended a young neighbor, etc? May be a good, mild example. Don't remember it well; need to watch it again.

Gran Torino.

rhettyeakley
01-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Jeff, you very well may be on to something, or your friend for that matter. I have a family member that suffers from BPD (Borderline personality disorder) and it would certainly fit the bill. They can be the nicest & meanest family member depending on what the situation is. I hope Bruce finds more happiness in the afterlife than he did in life.

benjulmag
01-27-2014, 01:39 PM
Carl Jung stuff:

If I had to guess, Bruce did many kind, generous things in his life, but he certainly never brought attention to himself when he did.

Bruce shared his baseball knowledge readily, and to the best of my knowledge, never held back providing information to those who requested it, or help them with their questions. In short, by his actions, he was a positive influence to many in the hobby, in contrast to those who commit acts of fraud while oozing charm in the process.

By his words, I recognize that to recipients of his vile emails, he was a different person. I also recognize that not having received such emails, I have not walked in the shoes of those who had. But Bruce is dead, and we already have had one long thread where people vented. I respectfully think it is time to move on.

calvindog
01-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Human beings are complex. My two cents, it's inappropriate to try to posthumously psychoanalyze Bruce over the internet and find a DSM-IV (or is it now V?) category for him.

Beats working.

gnaz01
03-31-2014, 05:52 PM
I see a lot of Bruce's collection in the REA catalog. Just FYI

barrysloate
03-31-2014, 06:04 PM
A lot of it is not there. Perhaps it is being saved for a later sale.

Griffins
03-31-2014, 11:09 PM
they probably just misplaced the consignments, been known to happen lately.

Robert_Lifson
04-01-2014, 12:14 AM
Knock on wood, we've never misplaced a consignment yet! Barry, what items are you looking for that you do not see? (I am assuming you are not looking for things he sold in years past which as you know is quite a lot). His inventory lists were INCREDIBLY comprehensive and detailed (in part for insurance purposes). We worked with the estate directly from his own inventory spreadsheets that listed every single card and item, with each spread sheet organized by type of item (cards, display pieces, books, sheet musics, postcards etc). There are a few things that may be on the Internet Only section, but just a few. Some items are in group lots that you will only be able to see all images and descriptions when the auction is up online. Can you give me an example of an item you are looking for?

barrysloate
04-01-2014, 04:26 AM
Hi Rob- I actually have a complete list of Bruce's collection that he gave me before he died, and there is so much I don't see from that list. Maybe because the catalog is so big, I simply missed it. One example- Bruce had numerous DeLongs in PSA-8, and you do have several 8's in the auction. But his players and your players don't match. I'll continue to look though. He also had a beautiful team cabinet of Brooklyn ca. 1888 I don't see. Well, you know the collection better than I do.:)

Edited to add maybe he did in fact sell a lot privately before you got the collection.

Leon
04-01-2014, 07:17 AM
Hi Rob- I actually have a complete list of Bruce's collection that he gave me before he died, and there is so much I don't see from that list. Maybe because the catalog is so big, I simply missed it. One example- Bruce had numerous DeLongs in PSA-8, and you do have several 8's in the auction. But his players and your players don't match. I'll continue to look though. He also had a beautiful team cabinet of Brooklyn ca. 1888 I don't see. Well, you know the collection better than I do.:)

Edited to add maybe he did in fact sell a lot privately before you got the collection.

Have you checked with Archive? I hear he and Bruce were quite close .

Rich Klein
04-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Leon I actually burst out laughing at work (not the best thing to do obviously), at your comment

Robert_Lifson
04-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Hi Barry! It sounds like you’ve got an old list (or one that was not cleaned up to reflect all changes). He sold a lot of items over the years (at REA and elsewhere) and probably did quite a bit of wheeling and dealing with DeLongs. I think over the years he tried to narrow his DeLongs to just a few favorites. For example, he sold twenty-five (Twenty-Five!) DeLongs at REA in 2004 (Lot 97 was a pair of PSA 8 DeLongs, Lot 189 was a group of 16, and Lot 190 was a PSA-graded collection of seven). He may have sold or traded others elsewhere but we also know he sold two PSA 8 Delongs at Greg Bussineaus’s 7/25/13 auction (Traynor and Martin Lots 40 and 41). All that were left were a representative group of four (I assume his favorites) all graded PSA 8 (Lots 621, 623, 624, and 625: #4 Terry, #14 Gomez, #1 McManus, and #22 Klein).

He sold an 1889 Brooklyn Team cabinet at REA in 2004 (Lot 25) but you might be thinking of his 1890 Brooklyn Players’ League Cabinet with John Ward (which was a favorite that he kept) which is Lot 58 in the current auction (which we hope to get up today!) What he had at the end was only a portion of all the items he once had, but was still very substantial and tremendous high quality across the board.

barrysloate
04-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Rob- my memory is not what it used to be, but I saw his stuff about a year before he died, and the list he sent me was put together well after that. But you're right that maybe he never updated it and forgot to remove items he sold. So I'll assume you got everything that was left at the time it was consigned. The Brooklyn cabinet looked like a Joseph Hall, but without the names at the bottom. Perhaps he sold it a while ago and didn't even remember. Bruce was not the easiest person to deal with, at least for me.

barrysloate
04-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Have you checked with Archive? I hear he and Bruce were quite close .

Actually they had a falling out after Bruce sued him.:)

barrysloate
04-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Rob- I just rechecked my list and it reads "1890 Brooklyn Players League Team Cabinet." If that's the one in your current auction then I mixed it up with the one from 2004. Like I said, it's hard to keep track of everything.

Robert_Lifson
04-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Barry, Good news: Your memory is better than you think! The Brooklyn cabinet he sold in 2004 (Lot 25) does look a lot like a Joseph Hall.

Here's the link:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2004/25.html

barrysloate
04-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Thanks Rob, but I actually still have all your catalogs dating back to 1995. Funny, he sold it ten years ago and yet I thought I saw it in his collection in the past couple of years.