PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for this card?

Bestdj777
01-18-2014, 10:04 PM
I picked this card up a few months ago and love it. It is not for sale, and I am not actually looking for a dollar value. I am just curious about how you personally determine the price you would pay for a hand cut card? When I bought this, it was described as near mint and it presents as such. Obviously, it would only grade authentic given how none of the black line is showing. Would you pay near mint prices, poor prices, something less or something more?

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p669/debonochris/mid13con536_zps7cbd9d65.jpg

As an aside, I purchased this from a very reputable auction house--one of my favorites. They provided very clear pictures, and there are no hidden flaws. I purchased this knowing what its technical grade is.

ALR-bishop
01-19-2014, 06:23 AM
Very nice looking card Chris. It is not on my list. With one exception, I am a Topps and Fleer post war collector. But I am down now to unissued Topps test issues for which price guides are mostly useless and condition is secondary to availability. For such items, as a collector and not an investor, I just bid the max I am willing to pay.

Since I am not a graded collector your card in that condition would be great from my standpoint

rgpete
01-19-2014, 07:18 AM
I have seen the 69 Transogram Mantle with black lines graded Auth in the 250 range. The old saying is Its only worth what some one is willing to pay. It could be a lesser grade with out the black lines. Nice Card

Bestdj777
01-19-2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks Ron. I think I ended up spending a bit more for this than that. I'd been looking for a lower grade, authentic example for a long time to no avail. The final price on this ended up falling somewhere in the VCP range for a PSA 3. I figured that, although it is technically a PSA A, it presents closer to a 7 or 8, so I price somewhat in the middle seemed fair. Was just curious as to how others felt regarding the impact of the technical grade on pricing for hand cut cards.

Appreciate you weighing in Al. Do you mind if I ask, how do you stay interested and satisfied with the hobby when there is not much left to buy? At this point, there are only about 20-25 cards that I do not have that I could possibly add to my collection. The ones that I am really interested in adding never come up for sale. For those that I am not as interested in, when they do service it is for prices that I simply cannot justify.

ALR-bishop
01-19-2014, 08:46 AM
I could have expanded my collecting parameters, but decided that would be an endless process. I did do the 53 Bowman color set and the 60 Leaf sets on a whim. To keep involved in the hobby I still add each new Topps set , any update set, and the Topps Heritage sets... and I am always looking for variations or variants for any of my sets. I really enjoy searching for and sharing info with other variant collectors.

pawpawdiv9
01-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Bestdj777...i know i have looked at the 69 Transogram (as we discuused) I think finding it in the complete box (w/ figurine) might be best..I did show you some that have came up in recent past and in fact there was one on Ebay a while back.
If i was a die-hard collector for non-issue..you could see 500-750 for that piece i think..but its what someone will pay for it? I think some go for the eye candy (the holder grade) and not the card itself.
For a set registry person it has the look of a Dove candy bar, but id too radther settle on a bag of skittles.

Bestdj777
01-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Bestdj777...i know i have looked at the 69 Transogram (as we discuused) I think finding it in the complete box (w/ figurine) might be best..I did show you some that have came up in recent past and in fact there was one on Ebay a while back.
If i was a die-hard collector for non-issue..you could see 500-750 for that piece i think..but its what someone will pay for it? I think some go for the eye candy (the holder grade) and not the card itself.
For a set registry person it has the look of a Dove candy bar, but id too radther settle on a bag of skittles.

Hey Chris,

I looked into the complete figure/box. The only one that ever popped up was in terrible condition and was part of a larger lot. The price went for a bit more than I thought it was worth given what difficulty I would have piecing out the rest of it. So, I got this one. I like it and am happy with it, just kind of posed the question to get some insight into how people personally grade hand cut cards.

pawpawdiv9
01-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Hey Chris,

I looked into the complete figure/box. The only one that ever popped up was in terrible condition and was part of a larger lot. The price went for a bit more than I thought it was worth given what difficulty I would have piecing out the rest of it. So, I got this one. I like it and am happy with it, just kind of posed the question to get some insight into how people personally grade hand cut cards.

I just looked over the PSA registry for Mantle...and it also list the side panel as well :eek: Who comes up with all this crap to collect?? Who can keep up?

Bestdj777
01-19-2014, 11:20 AM
The side panel thing is ridiculous. It is a minuscule picture of him that was included on the box and never intended to be a card. I refuse to collect box cuttings that aren't supposed to be cards.

pawpawdiv9
01-19-2014, 12:03 PM
The side panel thing is ridiculous. It is a minuscule picture of him that was included on the box and never intended to be a card. I refuse to collect box cuttings that aren't supposed to be cards.
It reminds me of that Meadowland Dairy quad i was trying to get in the B&L auctions like last year. (which is also part of the registry)
I just want a basic card registry..leave out the junk.
I have thought of taking ALL my card and crossing them over to just 1 TPG...probably be SGC since i never used PSA, then started adding it all up..i can take that money and just buy more cards :D

Bestdj777
01-19-2014, 02:12 PM
It reminds me of that Meadowland Dairy quad i was trying to get in the B&L auctions like last year. (which is also part of the registry)
I just want a basic card registry..leave out the junk.
I have thought of taking ALL my card and crossing them over to just 1 TPG...probably be SGC since i never used PSA, then started adding it all up..i can take that money and just buy more cards :D

I like the Meadowland. It's actually supposed to be a card, so I think it is pretty cool. I wish I had gone for it at the B&L auction as the price was great. And, good, leave the "junk" to me :)

I've gone back and forth about getting them all graded by the same company as well. I feel the same way though, I'd rather spend that money on more cards. Plus, I could not imagine trying to store that many graded cards in a NYC apartment.