PDA

View Full Version : PSA or SGC?

STL1944
01-17-2014, 07:18 PM
I apologize if this subject has been discussed before. I searched through a bunch of posts but could not find anything outside of some side comments…

I am relatively new to re-entering the hobby. Actually it was seeing a 1953 Bowman Stan Musial that drew me back in. Beautiful. As a result I have become obsessed with trying to put together the entire 1953 Bowman color set. So far I am about 50 or so cards in the process (mostly commons so far).

All of the cards I have purchased so far are “raw” and ungraded, although most are in excellent condition. My questions for the group:

1) How do you decide when you have a card graded?
2) Which service do you like for 1950’s baseball cards? PSA? SGC? Or Other?

Thanks!

vintagetoppsguy
01-17-2014, 07:33 PM
How do you decide when you have a card graded?!

I wouldn't grade anything with less than $100 value...unless you want to do the entire set on the registry, then that's different. Especially if its just mid-grade stuff. A lot of set builders do the commons raw and the major stars graded.

Which service do you like for 1950’s baseball cards? PSA? SGC? Or Other?

I would use SGC as the black gaskets really make those '53 Bowman Colors pop.

mybestbretts
01-17-2014, 08:03 PM
I am a registry member at PSA and I have had cards graded and also bought cards graded. If you just look at ebay, there are more PSA graded cards sold
then other graders. So, that is who I would go with.

Bestdj777
01-17-2014, 08:19 PM
At the end of the day you just have to figure out what your goals are and what you think will best accomplish them. Here are some suggestions though:

1. If you are hoping to get a complete set and put it on a registry, I would recommend PSA--it is one of the better registries.
2. If you do not plan to start a registry set and want to keep them all together, I would consider leaving them all as is.
3. If you want to display a handful of cards from your set, and want protection, I would recommend SGC. They display beautifully and are kind of like a cool little picture frame.
4. If you are looking to flip a couple cards, I would go with PSA. I would only get the high grade cards (NM/MT) and star players (Mantle, etc.) graded though. If it is not one of those, you don't get enough of a return on your investment to make it worth while.

g_vezina_c55
01-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Sgc all the way

MattyC
01-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Here's the bottom line:

Chris above pretty much nailed it, for my money.

If the cards are beautiful with eye appeal, most collectors will see right through any holder like the clear plastic it is. Holders are surely helpful for preservation and authentication, and the Registry game is a very specific type of collecting all its own, but end of the day savvy collectors want a great card-- and they can judge one in any holder. Or none at all.

More specifically to your questions:

I would only get an existing raw card graded if I was going to sell it, and if the realistically expected grade would substantially increase the sale value.

For 1950s, assuming you are selling and thus grading, a gorgeous star will perform well in either holder. Commons I must say the PSA Registry collectors will pay more for a high grade common.

Copa7
01-18-2014, 02:28 PM
After reading the book "The Card" (highly recommended) and the most recent trial and investigation of Mastro Auctions, I would not trust PSA.

It was revealed in the court transcripts that PSA knowingly graded an altered card (The McNall/Gretzky T-206 Wagner), which they claim is against their policy.

In addition, I have cataloged over a dozen mislabeled soccer cards from PSA. Simply put, they do not know or care what they grade as long as they make money.

To them, the hobby is now a business. As such, you will encounter risk and fraud, like any industry that is driven by finances.

Good luck. Choose well.

vintagetoppsguy
01-18-2014, 02:48 PM
After reading the book "The Card" (highly recommended) and the most recent trial and investigation of Mastro Auctions, I would not trust PSA.

After reading the article contained in this thread, I would not trust PSA...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181587