PDA

View Full Version : What are the magical words to refine eBay searches?

tbob
01-15-2014, 03:13 PM
I remember someone posted before how to get rid of certain items/sellers when searching through ebay and I wonder if they could be so kind as to re-post it.
For instance, how do you delete all listings which are T206s (for example) or delete any cards by a certain seller who uses his name in the item title or deleting offerings by a seller in general.
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
tbob

01-15-2014, 03:16 PM
The minus sign before a word will exclude that word from searches.

Example: sgc -t206

I know you didn't ask for this specifically, but I use parameterized lists a lot. It adds "either or" capability to the search.

Example: 1910 (psa, sgc, bvg)

Pat R
01-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Click on the advanced next to search it will take you to the next page.
At the top you can type in words that you want to exclude in your search
i.e. t206. then scroll down near the bottom and click the box that says only show items from: then you can click exclude and type in any sellers you want
to exclude from your search

ramram
01-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Can't blame you a bit tbob. Wish there was a magic button to remove overpriced sellers.

edhans
01-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Click on the advanced next to search it will take you to the next page.
At the top you can type in words that you want to exclude in your search
i.e. t206. then scroll down near the bottom and click the box that says only show items from: then you can click exclude and type in any sellers you want
to exclude from your search

Can you exclude multiple sellers? Separated by a comma? semi-colon? Is it possible to exclude a seller(s) from all your searches? Or do you need to go through this process for every search? About 85% of the items in my searches are junk (to me), so your advice is most appreciated.

Howe’s Hunter
01-16-2014, 01:36 PM
using the minus sign before a parenthesis filled with what I don't want ...

t206 -(reprint, topps, etopps, sprocket, american beauty, resin, uzit, clasp, 2010, beads, broadleaf, SGC 50, SOVEREIGN, SGC 60, SGC 40, SGC 70, SGC 80, broad leaf, honus, caporal, clock, desk, chain, polar)

helps narrow down a search of T206 from 14,699 down to 7,435.

Still a lot, but searched several times daily, only takes a few minutes to get caught up on new listings.

Julz24
01-16-2014, 01:39 PM
In the help/advanced search area of the eBay website it details out how to use different search operators using boolean logic. I'm not sure if it applies to member ids though.

thecatspajamas
01-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Yes, you can exclude multiple sellers. Just separate them with commas.

autograf
01-16-2014, 02:32 PM
magic words...........allakazam or abracadabra.........

Joking.......

You can also do the parentheses to INCLUDE certain terms (1952, 1953, 1954) Topps

Republicaninmass
01-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Here's a great one

-Dean's

"dean's cards prices make 707 look like the dollar store"

Pat R
01-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Can you exclude multiple sellers? Separated by a comma? semi-colon? Is it possible to exclude a seller(s) from all your searches? Or do you need to go through this process for every search? About 85% of the items in my searches are junk (to me), so your advice is most appreciated.

Ed, I just put a space between each one and it works for me.
I think every time you change the title of your search you have to re-do the advanced search.

tbob
01-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I'll give it a shot.
tbob

dabigyankeeman
01-18-2014, 07:41 AM
With all the new cards being listed with an old date or an old players name on them, its so hard.

Sometimes I just want to browse old Yankees just to see whats there, and I try to leave out things like: rp, reprint, reprints, sketch, Helmar, Topps, Fleer, archives, Conlon, GU, jersey, bat, reproduction, and so on, yet I still get new stuff in there. Really gets frustrating when you click on the right time frame and use all these qualifiers and still a lot of new stuff sneaks in there!

And I didnt know you could put one minus sign then put them all in brackets, I have been typing the minus sign in front of every one of these!

kamikidEFFL
01-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Great thread learned a few things when searching.

Paul S
01-18-2014, 09:09 AM
It's been so long that I don't even remember my ebay name. However I do sometimes search it. Here are a few of the search terms I use, acquired along the way: +grandpa's attic -grandpa's attic (it followed me home from school) "How can you sell me a card you don't even own?" "How does a card I never sent end up in the Flushing, Queens PO hub?"

Clydewally
01-20-2014, 09:39 AM
If I wanted to search just for particular players in a series, could I do that in one single search. For example, E90-1 Cobb, Speaker, Plank and Walsh?