PDA

View Full Version : Bat Restoration

yanks12025
01-15-2014, 01:34 PM
What do you guys think of game used bats having repairs done to them. I used to own this bat and the picture shows the back of the barrel when I had it. The buyer fixed it and sold it and now the current buyer is selling it in heritage.

First I don't see how this is only considered back barrel cracking. I don't understand how with the repairs like this and it gets a PSA 7. I saw the PSA letter and it made no mention of the back barrel repairs besides the back barrel cracking.

So what do you guys think?

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7100&lotIdNo=111002

mcgwirecom
01-15-2014, 06:16 PM
I looked at the repairs on the large scans in their auction. I think, unless you knew it was repaired, you may not be able to detect it. If they knew it was repaired I think they need to divulge that. But if you can't tell, you can't tell.

perezfan
01-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Agree.... There should definitely be some disclosure of this restoration work. That is information that most prospective buyers would want to know.

Perhaps the work was so well executed, that it simply got by Taube without being noticed? I realize that's a stretch, but I believe PSA would normally make note of such work. It looks like a beautiful and seamless restoration (from the pics provided) but tough to tell how evident the retoration would appear when holding the Bat in-hand. I am guessing that Taube simply missed it.

yanks12025
01-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Do you think it's just the heritage pics or does it look like the whole bat was like cleaned or something. Just the color looks different.

I'm curious what it will sell for considering I actually lost money on it when I first sold it but I'm sure it will go a lot more now. Good for the seller.

perezfan
01-15-2014, 07:47 PM
In addition to the wood repair, I do think the entire bat was cleaned, and color was enhanced. Restorer is a magician.... there are definitely some great ones out there.

Not sure what the restoration cost, but pretty safe to say that a profit will be made.

UnVme7
01-15-2014, 09:11 PM
I restored one of my bats and was asked if I wanted it graded, and if I did that it was going to get a 7. I passed but that was good to know.

A word to the wise- if you have a HOF'er that is pretty desirable or hard to get, it might be wise to get it restored. I've have at least 3 of my bats restored at some capacity and I don't regret it one bit. It raised the values significantly.