PDA

View Full Version : New Slabs

thehoodedcoder
01-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Cracking some stuff out so I decided to play around a little.

Lets hope the new slabs can prevent this from being so easy: Caution, not for the faint of heart (http://thehoodedcoder.com/swap.jpg)

kevin

01-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Woah!

thehoodedcoder
01-14-2014, 06:52 PM
zero frosting is pretty scary. huh?

kevin

vintagetoppsguy
01-14-2014, 07:00 PM
zero frosting is pretty scary. huh?

kevin

The frosting is there. Scan it against a black background and you'll see it.

thehoodedcoder
01-14-2014, 07:01 PM
i already cracked it.

i can assure you there was no frosting. you are looking at scanner glare. the slab was not compromised on left side.

i did it and held it in my hand and held it up to a black background.

there was no visible way, what so ever to determine how the slab was compromised.

kevin

the 'stache
01-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Kevin, please tell me that wasn't the first slab you attempted to crack.

freakhappy
01-15-2014, 12:51 AM
Blasphemy! :eek:

In PSA's dreams :rolleyes:

thehoodedcoder
01-15-2014, 06:14 AM
Kevin, please tell me that wasn't the first slab you attempted to crack.

Nope, but this is the first time I really tried to see how well I could do it.

I really didn't even have to split the slab. I was able to remove the flip and insert a new flip without any cracking or frosting.

Kevin

the 'stache
01-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Nope, but this is the first time I really tried to see how well I could do it.

I really didn't even have to split the slab. I was able to remove the flip and insert a new flip without any cracking or frosting.

Kevin

That's really disturbing. But, it just reinforces how important buying the card, and not the flip, is.

I hope this new PSA slab proves to be much more tamper resistant. I wonder, too, if SGC will change their slab somehow.

bnorth
01-15-2014, 07:01 AM
The cracking of a PSA slab and resealing it with no visual evidence has been done since the beginning. I though it was common knowledge like the trimmed Wagner.

My opinion is PSA used these junk slabs as long as possible before changing. Now they will start covertly advertising how easy they are to crack so they can make a killing on reslabbing with the new holder.

I have never had any luck cracking a SGC slab without noticeable damage. Anyone else have better luck?

thehoodedcoder
01-15-2014, 07:03 AM
should be pretty easy also.

the frosting can be removed pretty easily with stuff that removes frosting, such as headlight defogging tool kits from your local car store.

kevin

bnorth
01-15-2014, 07:06 AM
should be pretty easy also.

the frosting can be removed pretty easily with stuff that removes frosting, such as headlight defogging from your local car store.

kevin

Have you tried this? I do not understand how internal frosting could be removed that way.

I have "heard" a paint stripper(heat gun) will remover the frosting, but takes practice to not warp the holder.

savedfrommyspokes
01-15-2014, 07:40 AM
The cracking of a PSA slab and resealing it with no visual evidence has been done since the beginning. I though it was common knowledge like the trimmed Wagner.

Apparently not common knowledge after all

jhs5120
01-15-2014, 07:41 AM

My opinion is PSA used these junk slabs as long as possible before changing. Now they will start covertly advertising how easy they are to crack so they can make a killing on reslabbing with the new holder.

I have never had any luck cracking a SGC slab without noticeable damage. Anyone else have better luck?

I can generally pull apart an ozersized SGC slab with my fingers without any noticeable damage lol

thehoodedcoder
01-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Have you tried this? I do not understand how internal frosting could be removed that way.

I have "heard" a paint stripper(heat gun) will remover the frosting, but takes practice to not warp the holder.

no. i don't really have to much interest in trying to make a perfect fake.

what internal frosting? have you cracked an sgc slab before?

all of the frosting is simply bits of plastic on the surface of the plastic holder around the lip/ledge where it seals. if you are physically causing the plastic to fracture deeper than that, then i would say you have done something wrong.

i would try it, im out of the headlight cleaning solution. i see no reason it will not work though, based on what i am looking at, given scrubbing it alone with a green sink sponge makes it look better

kevin

pawpawdiv9
01-15-2014, 08:07 AM
I wonder, too, if SGC will change their slab somehow.

On our SGC boards i remember reading this:

EARLSWORLD Administrator
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: SMtJoy
Yup sure would be nice to hear something!

Hi all ~ I seen the post and thought it would be a great opportunity to to share some of the up and coming things SGC will be unveiling soon. As many of you may know, SGC has been working to redesign the website both its look and overall functionality. Some of the problems with the online submission form, POP Report and other things are being changed. SGC is already nearing the final stages of unveiling its newly designed thin-line holder and new SGC label. This will replace our regular holder that is most commonly used for all issues except "tall boy" cards and over-sized. There will also be a new SGC Authentic label for any encapsulated autographed items. The new authentic label will in time be able to show both a card grade and auto grade. Autograph grading is now available but will be displayed a little differently on the label than what will be in the near future. SGC is also looking ahead at redesigning more holders in the near future. As you can see (and as promised), SGC is being very proactive in making our mark in the Hobby and grading industry. We continue to pride ourselves in the high quality we offer in both our grading & customer service.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
01-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Always buy the card. Didn't someone sell a bunch of broken cases and/or labels recently?