PDA

View Full Version : Help with 2 Early Baseball "Games"

bigfanNY
01-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Hello I have 2 Questions first Four Small Baseball figures that I assume come from an early baseball parlor game but I know nothing about two with red paint two without paint heavy for size. I only have the four figures no other part of game.
Second is a complete 1910 Aydelott's baseball Card game from Detroit. Box looks to be complete with rules cards diamond etc. Any help very much appreciated.

Butch7999
01-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Hi Jonathan, your metal player-figures belong to Pennant Winner, made by Wolverine Supply & Mfg from 1929 through about 1950.
It's one of the most popular and highly-regarded action/mechanical tabletop games in the hobby, and examples aren't very tough to locate.
Twelve constitutes a full set of player-figures (nine red, three blue, or nine blue, three red, depending on the edition). Your "unpainted" figures
are actually painted blue, although they're very well worn.

Not sure what you want to know about Aydelott's From the Field to the Parlor, but we'd be curious as to how many cards your set has.
The number for a full set has never been definitively established, although something between 102 and 105 seems right. There should be
eight (possibly nine) wooden markers included as well. Best evidence suggests the game was introduced no later than 1910,
but it's not all that scarce a hundred years later.

bigfanNY
01-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Thank you so much for your reply, The Aydelott's game has 102 cards 7 small wooden pieces 4 red 3 just wood it also contains a baseball diamond to play the game out which has a mesh backing so it has held up well and the rule book which rests on top and in the bottom of box is a score sheet. So based on your description game seems short only a single wood piece from being complete. Nice Blue graphics on cards and rule book says patent applied for in 1910. Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Jonathan

Leon
01-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Thank you so much for your reply, The Aydelott's game has 102 cards 7 small wooden pieces 4 red 3 just wood it also contains a baseball diamond to play the game out which has a mesh backing so it has held up well and the rule book which rests on top and in the bottom of box is a score sheet. So based on your description game seems short only a single wood piece from being complete. Nice Blue graphics on cards and rule book says patent applied for in 1910. Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Jonathan

Mine only has 7 wooden markers. Four of them are wood color (no paint) and three of them are black. It looks like I only have 80 cards so am missing some.

Butch7999
01-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Jonathan and Leon, thanks for the additional data. At least a third of the examples of the game that we've seen over the years
include substantially less than a hundred cards, so that's not uncommon. Ours "feels" complete at 101, so we're left to wonder
what's on the one to four cards we're short...

Aydelott had already patented the game many years earlier and sold it as Base Ball Cards., and that version is rarely if ever seen nowadays.
The earliest advertising we've yet seen for From the Field to the Parlor is from 1912.