PDA

View Full Version : Mailday 55 Topps Jackie

dclarkraiders
01-13-2014, 04:21 PM
I thought I would share a recent purchase. I am fairly new to Net54 and I enjoy the various posts.

Thanks

Duane Clark

jb217676
01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Nice Jackie, those colours really pop! Here are two of my favourite Jackie pieces...

MattyC
01-13-2014, 07:07 PM
You have a great eye: that 55 transcends the number grade no doubt!

MBMiller25
01-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Great Jackie pieces! I love that Bank.

MattyC
01-13-2014, 08:27 PM
Yeah I'd keep that on my desk and use it all the time!

GregC
01-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Yeah I'd keep that on my desk and use it all the time!

If only I could keep money in it and stop buying mantles!

Stunner of a 55 Robinson. Great color and well centered. Love that card!

itjclarke
01-13-2014, 11:17 PM
I thought I would share a recent purchase. I am fairly new to Net54 and I enjoy the various posts.

Thanks

Duane Clark

Sweet '55 Robinson Duane! I've had my eye on the '55 for a couple mths and would have gladly bought that one.

the 'stache
01-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Gorgeous card, Duane! Welcome to the forum!

Paul S
01-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Welcome Duane and congrats on a beautiful card. Here's my Jackie story:

In 1970 when I lived in Los Angeles it was announced that the first East-West All Star game was to be played, at what many people then just referred to as Chavez Ravine. The first, and sorry the say the last, Martin Luther King, Jr. East-West All Star Classic (Negro Leagues used to have the North-South games). You can get better details here, and look who were the participants!:

http://baseballhall.mlblogs.com/2013/01/18/documents-from-historic-1970-mlk-game-preserved-in-cooperstown/

I was then a mail-away auto collector. I told my dad we have to go to this game. We got great tickets early and so were at field level. The PA announcer (maybe Scully) announces Jackie to the crowd. Jackie is sitting only two sections away , on the aisle. The game begins. I tell my dad, "I gotta get Jackie". I run up the aisle to the top of my section and cross over to his section. There, the usher stops me and won't let me down to him. I go back to my seat. Then, all of the sudden I am cutting across the section that separates us. Believe it or not there were some semi-empty rows so I was leaping back and forth. People were generally very nice and stood up as I repeated, "I want Jackie Robinson's autograph". All of the sudden I am THERE above his left shoulder. "Mr. Robinson, can I have an autograph?" He looked up a took my program, signed it, and never said a word. I walked back up his section aisle and silently past the usher who had initially prevented me down. Went back to my seat and said to my dad, "Look!" He said he had never seen anything that fun and brazen in his life and laughed. I still remember what I was wearing -- blue denim jeans and a blue&yellow Pendleton flannel shirt (believe it or not, Pendletons were cool in those days).

The stuff is scrapbooked now:

hammer
01-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Great Jackie items and story. Thanks for sharing.

CW
01-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Great card, Duane! The '55 Topps Jackie is to card collecting like the '55 Chevy is to car buffs -- just.... classic.

Also, that's a fantastic story, Paul. I can just see you making your way, determined to hook up with Jackie. Nice mementos!

The '56 Topps Jackie is also cool, and one of those cards I had to pick up years ago...

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/cw2112/cool-cardboard/7857/1956-topps-jackie-robinson

almostdone
01-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Awesome autograph hound story. Would have lived to gad the opportunity to meet someone like Robinson.
Drew

Paul S
01-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Henry and Drew.

Thanks. It IS a great story. There's something about the fervor of youth that make a person do sh*t they would never even attempt when older. Ya just don't even double-think about it in the first place. I was happy to share
it. Thanks, Paul

Now, if only...

gregr2
01-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing!

MattyC
01-14-2014, 09:19 PM
That is one awesome story. What it's all about.

MBMiller25
01-15-2014, 06:37 AM
Paul, That is a great autograph story right there. Thanks for sharing. I agree, the autograph stuff I did when I was in my teens I wouldn't think about doing now. I don't have anything that cool.