PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Loses Legend - Ed Budnick Passes

Tim Zwick
01-13-2014, 05:38 AM
Sadly, long time Detroit area collecting legend Ed Budnick passed away on Saturday Jan 11. Ed has touched virtually anyone that has spent time in our hobby since the early 1970's in the Detroit area.

Ed and my paths first crossed in the early 1970's either at a Detroit area show (Statler Hilton?) or at Charlie Brooks card store on Detroit's east side. He always helped us kids out by selling us something we wanted at a great price or trading it to us for something he really didn't need. He was friends with many other Detroit area legends - Frank Nagy, Dick Reuss, John Ramirez to name a few along with other longtime hobbyists like Jay Barry, Will Johnske, Bob Wimmer, Charlie Conlon, Gary Sawatzski, SCD founder John Stommen and especially young brothers Mark & Jim Dehem.

Ed amassed a very large autograph collection that not only included many museum quality sports signatures but also all of the U.S. Presidents and last I knew, all but one First Lady. While he did collect some cards over the years, his main focus besides the autographs was game used equipment, books, publications, photos and other sports memorabilia. He was also always a regular vendor in the front of the room at virtually every National Convention for over 25 years.

He will be missed by all of us that he may have known or touched. God Speed my friend. Our family sends it's deepest sympathy & condolences to Dolores and the rest of the family.

May God Bless,
Tim

Hot Springs Bathers
01-13-2014, 06:22 AM
I bought a lot of media guides from Ed back in the 1980s! Nice man

Myachelydra
01-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Rip

nickedson
01-13-2014, 10:28 AM
I met Ed as a 17-year-old kid setting up for my first show at the Troy Hilton in the summer of 1972. He was very kind and he always had unique items for sale at very reasonable prices. Later, as a columnist for Baseball Hobby News, I interviewed Ed for a story about his collecting interests over the years. A hobby giant, in my book.

brian1961
01-15-2014, 02:03 AM
This is very sad news. My sincere sympathy to his family, and may he truly rest in peace.

I also was privileged to meet Mr. Budnick at the big Detroit Show in July of 1972. I was but 18 back then, but serious about the hobby, and I was touched that Mr. Budnick would treat someone so young with dignity and respect.

I may very well have bought some publications from this gentleman back then. Though I cannot recall a definite conversation or purchase, I still remember him well and in a positive way.

God bless his soul and memory.

ethicsprof
01-15-2014, 10:40 AM
my condolences to family and friends.

with sympathy,

barry

NYHighlanderFan
01-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Mr. Budnick was one of the kindest gems in our hobby.

He and his wife Dolores were staples at the annual Cleveland area Strongsville Holiday Inn card show. Dolores would go shopping while Ed watched the table! I can go through my collection and point out every card I ever traded or bought from him. Ed was very close friends with the Harwell's and many of the Tigers staff. Ed was kind enough to send me a personalize autographed picture from Ernie. It's doing those little things like that in life that make such a difference. And he had an extra 1978 World Series program in his collection...so he just randomly mailed it off to me knowing I love the Yankees. If I have nice memories of Ed, I know there are a lot of other people who he was just as nice to also.

My sympathy and prayers go out to Dolores and all of their kids and grandkids.

jcmtiger
01-23-2014, 10:47 AM
I knew Ed from all the early Detroit/Plymouth and Dearborn Michigan shows. Ed and Bob Wimmer would set up next to each other all the time and sometimes share a table.

Sorry to hear that he has passed on. He was one of the early collectors.

Joe

Kevin Savage
01-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Ed was a top notch guy, who was always nice to me as a young whippersnapper at the old Plymouth and Dearborn shows- and later at Strongsville and at The National. If the hobby had more Ed Budnicks it would be a better hobby. I don't think you replace people like Ed. I'll miss him- my condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

Tim- Thanks for posting this - as I hadn't heard about Ed's passing.

Kevin

SteveMitchell
01-23-2014, 01:20 PM
I met Ed at the 1973 Midwest Sports Collectors Convention (Troy, MI Hilton) - my first show. We located to the Midwest for a few years and saw him regularly at the better area shows. As others have mentioned, he was very friendly and helpful to collectors, young or old. The hobby has definitely lost one of the friendly, helpful guys.

Steve