RTK
01-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Good, and there goes his legacy.

Rich Klein
01-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Should have been a lifetime ban

EvilKing00
01-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Im not a yankee fan, matter of fact im a big met fan and cant stand the Yankees.

BUT - To me it makes no sense, everyone gets 50 games, IF they fail 1 test, that's the rule. And arod gets 162? Where is the rule saying that, "x offence" gets 162 games? I don't think you can just wing it when it comes to such large suspensions.

I can see this turning into a movie 10 years from now.:D

HRBAKER
01-11-2014, 11:54 AM
I think he got the lion's share of this for his interference in the MLB investigation, i.e., trying to cover his tracks at BioGenesis.

Just go away now please.

ruth-gehrig
01-11-2014, 12:00 PM
I don't feel sorry for him!

Peter_Spaeth
01-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Should have been a lifetime ban

I don't think we'll see him again.

sycks22
01-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Yanks fans everywhere are celebrating, especially the Steinbrenners

steve B
01-11-2014, 01:15 PM
I think he got the lion's share of this for his interference in the MLB investigation, i.e., trying to cover his tracks at BioGenesis.

Just go away now please.

That's exactly it.

Just like how cycling gave Lance a lifetime ban from competing in any form of cycling at any level and stripped his titles even after semi-retirement and beyond the years typically allowed as a sort of statutory limit.
They decided that his level of obstruction and interference both behind the scenes and in court was bad enough to allow all his past cheating to count.

For Arod then, it wasn't just a supposed first fail, it was also the admission of using for a few years before it was specifically against the rules. And his assumed continuation of that use after the rule change.

He got off very lightly in my opinion.

A strong commissioner would have made it a lifetime ban, but also would have put in a stronger program earlier maybe preventing the rampant abuses of the era. Or at least limiting the abusers - most Olympic/international sports have just as much of not more PED use, despite bans typically beginning at 2 years for a first failed test and lifetime bans for continual failed tests.

A strong commissioner would have also had the guts to announce the suspensions before the all star game.
It's just become so hard to take Selig seriously about anything.

Steve B

dealme
01-11-2014, 01:21 PM
I'm certainly not disappointed to see him go. I've always found his antics to be very bushleague...the slap play on the grounder back to Arroyo in the '04 LCS as well as the incident where he yelled "Ha" (or "mine" depending on who asks) against the Jays leading to the infielder dropping the ball both come to mind.

Part of me wonders if the Yankee front office isn't somewhat happy to see this happen. I'm sure they'll miss his bat to an extent, but it certainly frees up some additional dollars. Although I may be speaking too soon as I don't know if he'll be able to play pending litigation. I guess we'll see what the team is thinking if they tell him not to attend spring training.

oldjudge
01-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Could have been 162 years for all I care. What a jerk!

Brian Van Horn
01-11-2014, 01:38 PM
I think Robin Williams put in best in "Good Morning Vietnam" when he said,

"This will not look good on the resume!"

calvindog
01-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Every step of the way, ARod and his band of idiots blew it. As an attorney it was painful to watch the heavy-handed missteps.

Fred
01-11-2014, 05:06 PM
He should have taken a lesson from Jeter on how to be a class act. I suppose there's not much chance he could have changed because it's just in his nature to be such a putz.

CMIZ5290
01-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Every step of the way, ARod and his band of idiots blew it. As an attorney it was painful to watch the heavy-handed missteps.

+1, big, big time....

t206blogcom
01-11-2014, 05:16 PM
It's bad for baseball to not ban him for life. How many chances does he expect to get?

Pete Rose bet on a few games and gets a lifetime ban. A Rod gets caught multiple times only to receive a few slaps on the wrist.

I'll never understand the decisions MLB makes. Simply baffling.

RTK
01-11-2014, 07:17 PM
It's bad for baseball to not ban him for life. How many chances does he expect to get?

Pete Rose bet on a few games and gets a lifetime ban. A Rod gets caught multiple times only to receive a few slaps on the wrist.

I'll never understand the decisions MLB makes. Simply baffling.

One or a thousand...can't do that.

HRBAKER
01-11-2014, 07:32 PM
I don't find Pete Rose's lifetime ban puzzling at all.
Evidently he didn't either. Didn't he sign the agreement?

calvindog
01-11-2014, 07:53 PM
I've never really understood the purpose of Rose's lifetime ban. Obviously he shouldn't be permitted access to any situation in which he could receive inside info on players' health, etc. for fear he might use it for gambling purposes. But it's not like he's playing anymore. Why not prevent him from MLB employment but allow him into the HOF? Why do his records count otherwise? And if a guy can get caught with a corked bat why is he permitted back?

As for ARod, his biggest problem is his difficulty with reality. All I heard during the hearing from him and his lawyers was how great they were doing. Of course, that immediately indicated that they were getting slaughtered. When he ran out of the hearing because Selig wasn't required to testify, didn't that make clear ARod thought he was losing? If he was "crushing" them as he said, why would he care about Selig's testimony?

Oftentimes lawyers get clients who are delusional. It's the lawyer's job to provide reality checks for the client and to honestly understand how the trial is going so that the appropriate strategy can be employed at the right time. When the lawyers are equally as delusional as the client, usually a huge loss follows.

WhenItWasAHobby
01-11-2014, 08:16 PM
During the NE/Indy halftime show, CBS showed an excerpt of tomorrow's 60 Minutes episode where some guy admits he himself injected A-Rod with PEDs. What a disgrace.

Section115
01-11-2014, 08:19 PM
During the NE/Indy halftime show, CBS showed an excerpt of tomorrow's 60 Minutes episode where some guy admits he himself injected A-Rod with PEDs. What a disgrace.

That guy is Anthony Bosch. The man behind the curtain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

HRBAKER
01-11-2014, 08:27 PM
I have a feeling with Rose that any consideration that MLB may have given him re moderating their stance over time was mitigated by his assinine behavior and years and years of lying.

EvilKing00
01-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Some got caught, some admitted to it, some are accused and many we will never know that did it.

horzverti
01-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Never heard of him.

DixieBaseball
01-11-2014, 09:27 PM
A-Roid is a cheat and bottom line he is getting what he deserves. So glad MLB is cleaning up the game. Took too long, but it is getting more pure and back to more respectable numbers (with history) on the power side and great pitchers are starting to come back in play on several teams. No more 60-70 bomb baloney and now when a guy hits 50 like Big Chris Davis, it feels real. It feels like George Foster in late 70's with his 52 dongs out of no where. Sorry for the rant, but it just feels good to see real baseball players coming back into the game and the game getting cleaned up.

Good Riddance to A-Roid! Hope his wait for the Hall is when he is very old and gray.

Tabe
01-12-2014, 02:01 AM
A Rod gets caught multiple times only to receive a few slaps on the wrist.

When has ARod been caught "multiple times"? At worst, this was his first official offense - the admission on TV doesn't count - and it apparently didn't involve a failed test.

So what were the multiple times?

drmondobueno
01-12-2014, 08:40 AM
When has ARod been caught "multiple times"? At worst, this was his first official offense - the admission on TV doesn't count - and it apparently didn't involve a failed test.

Hmmm. Good point. Kinda.

He admits using, but nobody "caught" him. He and all others hide behind the
Players Union. Drug tests "fail" to catch him, and many others. And now a person claims to have injected A-Fraud. A-fraud is also alleged to be purchasing documents, from this same guy(or company, can't seem to keep all this straight). The commish says A-Fraud is interfering... He gets 162 games.

I am sure a much better informed individual could string this together better than I am doing.

If he were to say he did not have sex with that woman, I would know he screwed her every which way from Sunday.

This guy, to me, messed with the game more than Pete Rose ever did. No comparison.

But what do I know, other than A-Fraud is a liar.

EvilKing00
01-12-2014, 09:21 AM

your right he was only "caught this 1 time" and there have been many others who were caught more and received less and many more than that who were never caught.

calvindog
01-12-2014, 09:30 AM
No one knows the evidence from the arbitration; however, ARod didn't release the written decision for a reason--because it buries him. Major obstruction of the MLB probe and great efforts to circumvent the drug testing policy. And the evidence was irrefutable that he used PEDs.

HRBAKER
01-12-2014, 12:57 PM
No one knows the evidence from the arbitration; however, ARod didn't release the written decision for a reason--because it buries him. Major obstruction of the MLB probe and great efforts to circumvent the drug testing policy. And the evidence was irrefutable that he used PEDs.

Absolutely!

Poor A Rod, he's getting such a raw deal.

Tabe
01-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Keep in mind when trashing ARod for obstruction that MLB did the exact same thing - only they obstructed a federal criminal investigation and not just an investigation of an employee.

Section115
01-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Keep in mind when trashing ARod for obstruction that MLB did the exact same thing - only they obstructed a federal criminal investigation and not just an investigation of an employee.

Which federal criminal investigation was that? I must have missed that.

Brian Van Horn
01-12-2014, 07:05 PM
I was just watching the 60 Minutes segment on this matter. All I can say is there are unsavory characters on each side of this matter.

ullmandds
01-12-2014, 07:16 PM
I totally agree! I hope he never dons a yankee uniform again!

I'm certainly not disappointed to see him go. I've always found his antics to be very bushleague...the slap play on the grounder back to Arroyo in the '04 LCS as well as the incident where he yelled "Ha" (or "mine" depending on who asks) against the Jays leading to the infielder dropping the ball both come to mind.

Part of me wonders if the Yankee front office isn't somewhat happy to see this happen. I'm sure they'll miss his bat to an extent, but it certainly frees up some additional dollars. Although I may be speaking too soon as I don't know if he'll be able to play pending litigation. I guess we'll see what the team is thinking if they tell him not to attend spring training.

ElCabron
01-12-2014, 07:23 PM
I just want to go on record saying that I've hated ARod long before steroids were in the discussion. He is the sole reason for my divorce from the Yankees after 25+ years of loyal support.

-Ryan

WhenItWasAHobby
01-12-2014, 07:36 PM
I was just watching the 60 Minutes segment on this matter. All I can say is there are unsavory characters on each side of this matter.

I watched it too. All I can say is WOW!!! Death threats? Justifying giving A-Fraud PEDS as doing nothing wrong under the belief that other players are juicying and if you're going to juice, you need to do it right? Both surround themselves with convicted criminals? Offering to pay and hide Bosch in Colombia to obstruct justice? The volumes of text messages is very damaging and indefensible. What a pair of sociopaths. They deserved each other and both should be in jail.

Peter_Spaeth
01-12-2014, 07:41 PM
I just want to go on record saying that I've hated ARod long before steroids were in the discussion. He is the sole reason for my divorce from the Yankees after 25+ years of loyal support.

-Ryan

Agreed. His grace, class and modesty were inversely proportional to his talents.

calvindog
01-12-2014, 07:58 PM
I watched it too. All I can say is WOW!!! Death threats? Justifying giving A-Fraud PEDS as doing nothing wrong under the belief that other players are juicying and if you're going to juice, you need to do it right? Both surround themselves with convicted criminals? Offering to pay and hide Bosch in Colombia to obstruct justice? The volumes of text messages is very damaging and indefensible. What a pair of sociopaths. They deserved each other and both should be in jail.

Was also kind of difficult listening to his lawyer claim that MLB gave Bosch immunity in a federal criminal investigation. I wasn't aware that MLB is also the Department of Justice.

drmondobueno
01-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Man. A-Fraud's attorney is one scary looking guy. Sounds pretty good at misdirection.

GoldenAge50s
01-13-2014, 01:19 AM
After reading your posts am I correct in assuming you don't think too highly of Joe Tacopina?

Have you ever opposed him in court?

Tabe
01-13-2014, 01:22 AM
Which federal criminal investigation was that? I must have missed that.

Sorry, state investigation not federal:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24238642/report-mlb-impeded-florida-dept-of-health-investigation-into-biogenesis

Ladder7
01-13-2014, 06:09 AM
"Hey, where'd my Pedro go?"

ctownboy
01-13-2014, 06:57 AM
I always find it funny when A Fraud, his attorneys and supporters say you can't trust a guy like Bosch because he is a known liar.

Well, Mr. Rodriguez, what about all of the times you were asked if you had EVER used PED's and you always said no? Didn't you do an interview on 60 Minutes and when asked, you looked straight into the camera and said you never did PED's?

Of course, when your big dollar, long term contract's out clause came up, you opted out and then got a bigger dollar, longer term contract. What happened then? You admitted you had, in fact, used PED's but it was only after receiving your first contract and before PED use was banned in MLB.

How convenient.

Why doesn't a reporter ask A Fruad, his attorney's and his supporters about that and ask why people should trust A Fraud?

Why don't reporters ask if there is no evidnece to connect A Fraud to Bio Genesis and PED's and that he is/was clean and Bosch is a liar then why OTHER MLB players connected to Bio Genesis accepted their suspensions? Why did they do this? Are they in on the conspiracy to bring A Fraud down also?

David

midwaylandscaping
01-13-2014, 11:26 AM
If possible, Tacopina's one step below an ambulance chaser. The lowest of the low scum when it comes to attorneys :mad:

calvindog
01-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Why don't reporters ask if there is no evidnece to connect A Fraud to Bio Genesis and PED's and that he is/was clean and Bosch is a liar then why OTHER MLB players connected to Bio Genesis accepted their suspensions? Why did they do this? Are they in on the conspiracy to bring A Fraud down also?

David

This is the best point. God forbid ARod gets what he asks for and has to try these issues before a jury. MLB will simply subpoena and trot out numerous players who received PEDs from Bosch, with the same text messaging, protocols, etc. as Bosch received from ARod. What will the defense be then? That it's a racial thing?

This case should have been settled for 100 games or less when ARod had the chance. Would have saved him over $10 million and a lot of embarrassment. Whoever convinced him that he has a chance in federal or state court in NY should have his head examined.

Peter_Spaeth
01-13-2014, 12:16 PM
After reading your posts am I correct in assuming you don't think too highly of Joe Tacopina?

Have you ever opposed him in court?

Uh, aren't these rave reviews from the same sources as Jeff has on his own website?

"One of New York's fiercest defenders" —NY Daily News

"Top-shelf, high powered litigator" —New York Post

:D:D:D

Peter_Spaeth
01-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Separated at birth? :D:D:D

ullmandds
01-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Joe looks like Jeff on steroids!!!

calvindog
01-13-2014, 02:28 PM
I've got a nicer watch.

Peter_Spaeth
01-13-2014, 04:30 PM
I've got a nicer watch.

Like his tie better though.

ullmandds
01-13-2014, 04:33 PM
I agree...Joe has better tie...can't distinguish the watches. Jeff has a lot less hair product as well.

calvindog
01-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Like his tie better though.

You would.

Peter_Spaeth
01-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Round two, or three, or whatever it is. Good luck with overturning an arbitrator's ruling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/14/sports/baseball/alex-rodriguez-continues-fight-seeking-to-vacate-arbitrators-ruling.html?hpw&rref=sports&_r=0

howard38
01-13-2014, 05:12 PM
I've got a nicer watch.
And a better haircut.

Deertick
01-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Oftentimes lawyers get clients who are delusional. It's the lawyer's job to provide reality checks for the client and to honestly understand how the trial is going so that the appropriate strategy can be employed at the right time. When the lawyers are equally as delusional as the client, usually a huge loss follows.

I'm sure his lawyers will embrace reality once (if) the money runs out.

Peter_Spaeth
01-13-2014, 06:49 PM
A narcissist like ARod doesn't want to hear anything like a realistic assessment of his case. If one told him, he would just fire them and find someone else. And there will always be a lawyer to tell him what he wants to hear.

Tabe
01-14-2014, 05:31 PM
In his ruling, the arbitrator ruled that because he apparently used three banned substances, each of those constituted a "distinct" offense against the JDA. He therefore handed ARod 50 games apiece for each one and then 12 games for obstructing things. To me, this shows yet another example of MLB treating the ARod case different from all others. If a guy got busted for coke AND pot do you really think they'd count that as two different offenses? Of course not. But because it's ARod, they do.

Give the guy his 50 game first-time-offender suspension and the dozen for being a pain and move on.

calvindog
01-14-2014, 06:02 PM
If a guy got busted for coke AND pot do you really think they'd count that as two different offenses?

Yes, because they count that as two different offenses.

drcy
01-14-2014, 06:15 PM
The arbiter wrote that ARod used three different substances on three different occasions. So they were three distinctly separate offenses, using either legal or layman's logic. If you're caught double parking on three different days, you know you'll get three tickets not one. If evidence proves you burglarized three homes over a year, prosecutors won't charge them as one burglary, and the average person on the street would also consider them three separate crimes.

Fear the day someone can repeat a crime 99 times for free, because the law counts them only a single offense.

HRBAKER
01-14-2014, 06:48 PM
It's a conspiracy.
The whole world has ganged up on ARod.
Now the criminal justice system is involved.

Maybe he can call Katie Couric and go on TV and set the record straight.

calvindog
01-14-2014, 08:44 PM
The arbiter wrote that ARod used three different substances on three different occasions. So they were three distinctly separate offenses, using either legal or layman's logic. If you're caught double parking on three different days, you know you'll get three tickets not one. If evidence proves you burglarized three homes over a year, prosecutors won't charge them as one burglary, and the average person on the street would also consider them three separate crimes.

Fear the day someone can repeat a crime 99 times for free, because the law counts them only a single offense.

In addition, the application of the rules by the arbitrator was collectively bargained by the players union. So basically ARod got what he bargained for.

Peter_Spaeth
01-14-2014, 08:54 PM
In addition, the application of the rules by the arbitrator was collectively bargained by the players union. So basically ARod got what he bargained for.

This man says otherwise. Another nice tie btw.

Kenny Cole
01-14-2014, 09:21 PM
I'm not saying this in defense of A-Rod, but anyone other than a defense lawyer who thinks that binding arbitration is a good thing is out of his/her mind. The way that the Supreme Court has embraced it is nothing short of incredibly disturbing. I will leave it at that.

Peter_Spaeth
01-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Kenny, it's one thing to foist in on consumers in fine print, it's another thing for millionaire athletes and their union to agree to it.

Kenny Cole
01-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Peter,

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court has been unable to recognize that fairly evident distinction, so it is just a fuc-ing all the way around right now.

baztacula
01-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Baseball looked the other way for years. Performance enhancing drugs were basically endorsed by MLB, especially when McGwire and Sosa battled it out in 1998. The homers brought fans back to the park after their disillusionment over the horrible strike years of '94 and '95. How many players used PEDs during these years? How many never got caught? How many are still using and getting away with it? Who knows? A Rod, with his huge salary, has become the focal point for that reason alone. Sure, all players make too much and all owners charge too much. People will do whatever it takes to get an advantage and make more money. That's the American way. A Rod is past his prime and owed lots of $$$. Who wouldn't want to get off the hook paying all those millions? There's just too much hypocrisy in this saga for me to take any of this seriously. It's a great big joke.

drcy
01-15-2014, 11:41 AM
"People will do whatever it takes to get an advantage and make more money. "

Some people, but not everyone. There are many people who aren't interested in cheating to make more money. I know many ethical people. I know a woman who mailed $2.25 to the City of Seattle, because she felt got an undue free ride on a city bus when visiting the city. She mailed it from her home in Wisconsin! "Everyone does it" is both untrue and a bad excuse.

packs
01-15-2014, 11:47 AM
I don't think people should feel sorry for A-rod or cut him any slack. He admitted his prior steroid use in the past and was given a clean slate. He then decided to continue his associations with people like Bosch and his cousin, who was promptly banned by the Yankees from team events. Even after his banning A-rod still thought it was a good idea to bring him to his hotel while traveling with the team.

There are no logical excuses or reasonings for his behavior other than he thinks he should be able to do whatever he wants.

drcy
01-15-2014, 11:54 AM
I think star athletes are given special privileges, given the red carpet treatment and allowed to get away with a lot since they were young, and they don't know how to handle it when suddenly everyone turns on them for doing something wrong. It's foreign territory compared to their previous privileged life experiences.

Realize that we're talking here about a guy who was paid tens of millions of dollars annually to play baseball and dated Cameron Diaz and Madonna, yet is claiming life is treating him unfairly. One might say his perspective is a bit askew.

Pertaining to his PED use, law breaking, rule breaking, lying to fans and other offenses, there are also the ideas of karma and the double edged sword. "Karma's a bitch, isn't it?," as I think Confucius said. Or maybe it was Wile E. Coyote.

Anyone not drinking flavor aid knew him as a transparent liar since at least 13 years ago when he insisted his signing with the Texas Rangers had nothing to do with the world's record contract. I happen to live in Seattle, so knew he was a phony before then.

* Those who know their history will appreciate my use of flavor aid instead of kool aid. Despite common misperception, the Jamestown Cult members committed suicide by drinking cyanide laced flavor aid not kook aid.

Peter_Spaeth
01-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Peter,

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court has been unable to recognize that fairly evident distinction, so it is just a fuc-ing all the way around right now.

Clear rules avoid those tricky slippery slopes I guess.

WhenItWasAHobby
01-15-2014, 02:06 PM
One thing that I thought that was interesting was the interview with Bud Selig on 60 Minutes regarding A-Fraud. Here's the excerpt of particular interest:

Bud Selig: In my judgment his [A-Fraud] actions were beyond comprehension. And I'm somebody who's now been in the game over 50 years.

Scott Pelley: Never seen anything like it?

Bud Selig: I hadn't, no.

Here's the video and full transcript:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-case-of-alex-rodriguez/

OK, if this was the most extreme case Selig has ever seen, then why not give A-Fraud a lifetime suspension since that's Selig's continued stance against Pete Rose?

Kenny Cole
01-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Clear rules avoid those tricky slippery slopes I guess.

Yeah, like that tricky slippery slope right to trial by jury.

Peter_Spaeth
01-15-2014, 03:48 PM
Yeah, like that tricky slippery slope right to trial by jury.

Which can be waived, no?
But I digress, I am not a proponent of altering rights via fine print. My only point is it gets hard to draw lines sometimes between situations involving genuine consent and those not.

tschock
01-15-2014, 04:22 PM
I think star athletes are given special privileges, given the red carpet treatment and allowed to get away with a lot since they were young, and they don't know how to handle it when suddenly everyone turns on them for doing something wrong. It's foreign territory compared to their previous privileged life experiences.

Realize that we're talking here about a guy who was paid tens of millions of dollars annually to play baseball and dated Cameron Diaz and Madonna, yet is claiming life is treating him unfairly. One might say his perspective is a bit askew.

Ahhhh... I totally agree! But as you point out, he IS being treated unfairly. Just not in the usual negative connotation of being "unfair". :D

Tabe
01-15-2014, 05:27 PM
OK, if this was the most extreme case Selig has ever seen, then why not give A-Fraud a lifetime suspension since that's Selig's continued stance against Pete Rose?
And, if they truly were treating each of his different PEDs as a distinct violation, why wasn't he given a lifetime ban? The penalty for a third violation is a lifetime ban under the JDA.

HRBAKER
01-15-2014, 05:35 PM
My guess is today they would still treat gambling tougher than steroids.
The utter stupidity of what Rose did is mind boggling and also they were able to get him to agree to sign it as well.

EvilKing00
01-15-2014, 06:37 PM
baseball looked the other way for years. Performance enhancing drugs were basically endorsed by mlb, especially when mcgwire and sosa battled it out in 1998. The homers brought fans back to the park after their disillusionment over the horrible strike years of '94 and '95. How many players used peds during these years? How many never got caught? How many are still using and getting away with it? Who knows? A rod, with his huge salary, has become the focal point for that reason alone. Sure, all players make too much and all owners charge too much. People will do whatever it takes to get an advantage and make more money. That's the american way. A rod is past his prime and owed lots of $$$. Who wouldn't want to get off the hook paying all those millions? There's just too much hypocrisy in this saga for me to take any of this seriously. It's a great big joke.

+211

Kenny Cole
01-15-2014, 06:49 PM
Which can be waived, no?
But I digress, I am not a proponent of altering rights via fine print. My only point is it gets hard to draw lines sometimes between situations involving genuine consent and those not.

Peter,

Absolutely can be waived. But, as you previously noted, there is a rather distinct difference between being a member of a collective bargaining unit, which has voted to agree to arbitration as a way to resolve claims, and doing it, mostly unknowingly, because the alleged "waiver" is buried six pages deep in the fine print of the adhesion contract that you entered into because you have absolutely no bargaining power but needed a credit card -- the actual terms of which generally show up in the mail about six weeks later.

There is a reason why businesses like arbitration and don't like jury trials. One does not need to be a member of Mensa to figure out that arbitration is heavily leveraged toward the business (or employer) and is not a good deal for the consumer or employee. I could go on for ever about that, but you and I both know that, at least in the commercial and employment contexts, the complaining party is almost always going to take it in the ass. And the fact that the Supreme Court has recently been complicit in screwing the little man and eliminating the Constitutional right to trial by jury is nothing short of sickening IMO. 'Nuff said.

Peter_Spaeth
01-15-2014, 09:08 PM
The Supreme Court is also complicit in upholding unconstitutional Obamacare. :D:D:D