PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoff tickets - worth it?

Runscott
01-10-2014, 02:29 PM
I've never been to an NFL playoff game, but I've been trying to buy tickets for Seattle vs New Orleans. Problem is - every time I find what I consider an acceptable deal, the tickets are gone before I can get my credit card information entered.

Am I being beaten by scalper software?

I'll be watching this one on television.

RTK
01-10-2014, 07:14 PM
I've been to several playoff games including an NFC Championship, all in Chicago late season weather. Every game but one, I bought the tickets while walking around the stadium, although it was a time before Stub Hub and ticket brokers, when more tickets were available outside the stadium. If you live near the stadium and don't want to pay broker prices, I'd try walking around and see if you can find someone with an extra. You never know. Prices seem to be lower than what you find with brokers and on Stub Hub.

My most memorable playoff game, was the Bears / Eagles in the fog....couldn't see a thing. The NFC Championship was bitter cold, my team the Bears, lost. Joe Montana blew them apart.

I'd say it's worth going at least once if you're a fan. Now that I've gotten older and have a 60" HD TV, the comforts of home are just fine with me.

Runscott
01-11-2014, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the advice, Rick. I'm starting to see some decent deals online, but the rain is supposed to be a mess, so I will probably just wander down to the stadium, as you suggest. If it's the 49'ers and Seahawks in the NFC championship, I will definitely be down there next weekend.

Runscott
01-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Okay, I finally know my limit when it comes to sporting events.

This morning I found two tickets on the 50 yrd-line, 3rd row behind the Saints bench (yes, I'm pulling for the Saints), at $250 each. My girlfriend's limit for a ticket had been $150, but she convinced me to buy them. With all the fees they were $581 for the two. I cancelled. I would have done it for a total of $530 with fees, but somehow $581 was over the limit.

At least now I know :)

chris6net
01-11-2014, 02:01 PM
As a Giants season ticket holder I never had to buy tickets for a playoff game on the secondary market but going to a playoff game especially a Championship game and if your team wins is a great experience. I have also seen Flipper Anderson run right out of the end zone,the Giants lose to Minnesota after botching an onside kick and getting shut out against Carolina in the playoffs in 2006. If your team loses at home in the playoffs then the experience is not so fun:(

Runscott
01-11-2014, 02:59 PM
As a Giants season ticket holder I never had to buy tickets for a playoff game on the secondary market but going to a playoff game especially a Championship game and if your team wins is a great experience. I have also seen Flipper Anderson run right out of the end zone,the Giants lose to Minnesota after botching an onside kick and getting shut out against Carolina in the playoffs in 2006. If your team loses at home in the playoffs then the experience is not so fun:(

My other near-miss playoff experience was the 1978 Denver-Oakland AFC Championship game. My Dad came home from work and excitedly told me that he had two great tickets for the playoff game. As I was about to scream with joy, my Mom walked into the room and let us know that basically they would be getting a divorce if he took anyone other than her. She had a great time, so it was well worth not getting to go.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
01-15-2014, 05:56 PM
My other near-miss playoff experience was the 1978 Denver-Oakland AFC Championship game. My Dad came home from work and excitedly told me that he had two great tickets for the playoff game. As I was about to scream with joy, my Mom walked into the room and let us know that basically they would be getting a divorce if he took anyone other than her. She had a great time, so it was well worth not getting to go.

Reminds me of the time my stepdad gave away tickets to the MLB all star game because he didn't think I would want to go.