PDA

View Full Version : Fatty not so happy......

Leon
01-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Never seen this series before but Fatty isn't looking so happy :(. The card is approximately 3x4. For those unfamiliar with his foray into baseball here is a blurb from baseball-reference...

"Born March 24, 1887 in Smith Center, KS USA
Died June 29, 1933 in New York, NY USA
Fatty Arbuckle, better known as a silent film comedian, owned the Vernon Tigers of the PCL for a couple years. The team won the PCL championship in 1919.

Just as Arbuckle's life was quite controversial, so was the Vernon team during his ownership. The team was accused of bribing opposing players, and although the team was exonerated, one Vernon player was expelled.

Arbuckle, for his part, complained that the team was taking up all his time with its promotional needs, so he sold it in 1921.

Baseball cards were made of the Tigers when Arbuckle owned them, including a card of Arbuckle in which he resembles Babe Ruth.

Main source: Arbuckle's Vernon Tigers."

vintagetoppsguy
01-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Just as Arbuckle's life was quite controversial...

Not to get off topic, but it's actually an interesting story. He was tried 3 times for rape/murder, with the first two trials ending with a hung jury and the last trial resulting in an acquittal.

slidekellyslide
01-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Not to get off topic, but it's actually an interesting story. He was tried 3 times for rape/murder, with the first two trials ending with a hung jury and the last trial resulting in an acquittal.

He was totally innocent and it still ruined his career.

wonkaticket
01-09-2014, 12:35 PM

+1 no have a coke and smile for him, really a shame...

vintagetoppsguy
01-09-2014, 12:57 PM

+2 His movies were banned for a period of time until after his acquittal and there was a public outcry for the death penalty. In the end, the jury sent him a letter of apology (something really almost unheard of), but I guess the damage had already been done.

Bocabirdman
01-09-2014, 01:48 PM
He wound up working as a director, hit or miss, under the alias of William Goodrich. Buster Keaton had suggested Will B. Good. A few of his fellow comics kept him in gag-writing money. He died broke and broken.

t206fix
01-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Wow - how would you like to have that as a nickname?
-"Hey Fatty, do you want to grab a beer?"
-"How you doin'? My name's Fatty. What's your sign?"
-"OK class, it's time for attendance... Fatty Arbuckle?" "present"
-"Table for two - FATTY! Table for two."

milkit1
01-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Buster keaton: "he was no more guilty of that crime then I was but Hearst sold more papers on his trial then the sinking of the Lusitania".

slidekellyslide
01-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Buster keaton: "he was no more guilty of that crime then I was but Hearst sold more papers on his trial then the sinking of the Lusitania".

And ironically Hearst may have committed a murder.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/other/ince.asp