PDA

View Full Version : Frank Ceresi

ElCabron
01-09-2014, 12:39 AM
Anyone who knows Frank Ceresi knows he is one of the truly great human beings in the hobby. Sadly, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer earlier this year and has recently taken a turn for the worst. He was moved into hospice on Monday and has only a few days left. I am flying out to say goodbye in a few hours. If any of you know him and have any message you would like me to tell him, please let me know. There is a good chance he will not be conscious, but I will still tell him anything you would like to say and let him know it's from you. I really love this guy and it is a major loss to see him go. If I had time I could go on and on about him and what he means to me personally, as well as everything he has contributed to the hobby.

-Ryan

Brian Van Horn
01-09-2014, 01:08 AM
Although I do not know Frank, I wish him the best.

Josh Wolf
01-09-2014, 02:20 AM
Very sad news Ryan. Sincerest condolences to you, Frank and his family. I didn't know Frank personally either but would love to hear your stories about him when the time is right. For now, just be well and hang in there.

Josh

the 'stache
01-09-2014, 02:46 AM
Ryan, I don't know Frank, but I hope that both you as his friend, and his family, find peace in this very difficult time.

I'm with Josh. When you feel the time is right to share some of your recollections, please do so. I'd love to read them.

barrysloate
01-09-2014, 04:36 AM
I consider Frank a friend and heard about his illness a few months ago. I did not know that he was as sick as he is. We had many dealings over the years and shared some great stories. Ryan, if there is any way you can send him my very best wishes, please do so. He was a really good person and this is such troubling news. Thank you.

Rich Klein
01-09-2014, 05:42 AM
Passed from pancreatic cancer, it is brutal, if is usually fast and usually there is no remission. Frank, may your final days be as peaceful as possible with friends and family

Rich

npa589
01-09-2014, 07:20 AM
I really love this guy and it is a major loss to see him go. If I had time I could go on and on about him and what he means to me personally, as well as everything he has contributed to the hobby.

-Ryan

Ryan:

Thank you for sharing, and though I don't know this man, I greatly appreciate your love for him as a friend, and I look forward to hearing about the exemplary life this man led. For now, travel safely, and cherish these last moments. Frank and his family will be in my prayers.

Nate

Leon
01-09-2014, 07:31 AM
I am sorry to hear this Ryan. May he be comfortable and at peace.
Will say a prayer....

ethicsprof
01-09-2014, 08:35 AM
I am sad to hear this.
Do know that my prayers are with you, Frank, and his family and friends---
in this moment and continuing.

Take care.
Barry

chris6net
01-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Very sad. My prayers are with you Frank

oaks1912
01-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Ryan..Thanks for posting this. I've known Frank for about 20 years and have always considered him a friend in addition to being a client. He showed a true passion for the hobby and for doing things the right way. When he left the bench to oversee operations at the MCI Sports Gallery, many might have thought he was nuts. But he was simply spending his time in a way he most enjoyed. Frank and I had our best visit in 2010, and one of the things I'll never forget is how he arranged for a special pass to be able to drive into Arlington Cemetery so that I could pay respects to our mutual friend, Joe Pelaez, who had passed away a few months earlier. In this post-911 world, where everything is complicated, Frank simplified the process for me.I knew that he was having health issues, but he did not elaborate on the severity. Its always tough to see good people pass, but he will not be forgotten, at least by me.

Hankphenom
01-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Frank and I were very close, living just a few miles from each other and having done numerous things within and without the hobby over almost 20 years. This is devastatingly sad, especially so as Frank had only recently met and married the love of his life, Barbara. He has two wonderful children, Nicki and Dan, and they and the numerous friends he will leave behind are his greatest legacy.

Vintageclout
01-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Ryan,

Hi, its Joe Tomasulo and I want to thank you for the update on Frank's condition. I knew he was going for testing over the past 6 - 12 months but could never really get any information as to the results of his medical condition. I've known Frank approximately 6/7 years and he was always the consummate professional in brokering many major memorabilia deals for me. He loved talking about both the hobby and baseball in general, and if possible, let him know my most sincere prayers are with him and his family. Joe

benjulmag
01-09-2014, 11:22 AM
I'm really sorry to hear this. Frank and I had a lengthy conversation about a month ago, and he had a lot of hope about his chances for recovery. I've known him for over 20 years and would not be exaggerating by describing him as one of the really good guys in this hobby. He is a gentleman in every sense of the word, and is a beacon of honesty and integrity. Please tell him my thoughts and prayers are with him.

oldjudge
01-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Ryan--I didn't know Frank but I wish him peace, and maybe a miracle.

sforaker
01-09-2014, 11:37 AM
I got to know Frank only over the past year, but I immediately recognized in Frank the same traits so well described by Corey. He made a very favorable impression and I consider myself fortunate to have made the connection. My thoughts and prayers to Frank and his family.

Scott Foraker

ValKehl
01-09-2014, 08:05 PM
I first met Frank many years ago, and we have chatted a few times over the years. I can't say that I know him well, but he always seemed like one of the good guys in the hobby. Frank, may you rest in peace.
Val

frank5k
01-09-2014, 08:27 PM
spoke to frank a couple of weeks ago , still was in good spirits , wanted some information on a joe Jackson bat, did many deals, one of the best and humble human beings on the planet ,proud to be his friend , thank you , frank foremny

ElCabron
01-09-2014, 08:54 PM
So, here is an update. I apologize for not going into greater detail but I still haven't slept since I found out how dire the situation was yesterday.

I spent 5 or 6 hours with Frank today. It is really awful. If you knew Frank previously you would not recognize him now. He is in a lot of pain. He was in and out of consciousness for the first hour or two I was there. I was able to hold his hand and tell him that I love him and thank him for his friendship and everything he meant to me and my children. Shorter after that, stronger pain meds kicked in and he was not conscious at any point for the next 4 or 5 hours. I fear he may not regain consciousness again.

I am going back in the morning and I am going to relay each individual message anyone has posted here or messaged me privately about, regardless if he is awake. I will probably print out this thread before I go over in the morning, so you can continue to post messages here, or send them to me privately if you prefer.

There's a lot more I'd like to say right now but I simply don't have the energy. Thank you for all your kind words about Frank. He is one of the best men I have ever known.

Please direct any thoughts or prayers to Frank and his family, and not me. I will be fine. Frank, his wife, his kids, and many others who love him are the ones that need it.

-Ryan

Hankphenom
01-09-2014, 09:36 PM
How terrible. I hope he goes peacefully without any more pain.

Spahn21
01-09-2014, 09:57 PM
“To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people
And the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
And endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better,
Whether by a healthy child, a garden patch,
Or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier
Because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.” (Emerson)

This was too quick, and is too sad. :-(

--Kevin Keating

Kenny Cole
01-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Ryan,

I didn't know Frank. But I know and respect you so you have my deepest sympathies. Watching a friend go is an awful thing. Please tell him that my prayers are with he and his family and that I hope his passage takes him to a peaceful, happy place where there is no pain. Best,

Kenny

drcy
01-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Best thoughts to Frank, who I don't know. Ryan, you're a credit to the force.

tjb1952tjb
01-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Ryan,
You are a true friend. God bless you, and may Frank rest in peace.

Howard W. Rosenberg
01-10-2014, 08:47 AM
I had the distinct pleasure of having Frank visit my apartment in December 2011 to look at my limited collection of Cap Anson memorabilia from Barry Halper, trade stories about baseball history, and for him to pick up two sets of my books on Anson (about 10 years ago, Barry mailed me some of Anson's original typed correspondence or receipts, albeit with a rubber stamp signature, and I gladly sold them to Frank for nominal amounts, and he gave me a very good tip on how to eventually dispose of my baseball card collection, Topps 1953-1977 -- some good acquaintance of him whose name I don't have but who no doubt I can figure out at a later date -- who passes through D.C. once or twice a year and who used to work for some big auction house) and who, believe it or not, Frank offered to host in his house for a night if was of help to having that person meet with me for some extended time.

And so, I can attest to Frank being a person of generous spirit, on this sad occasion.

barrysloate
01-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Let me share a story Frank told me that I will never forget. When he was a law student in Washington D.C. in the early 1970's, he would often sit in on the Watergate hearings. One day a very recognizable person sat down next to him, and the two struck up a conversation. Frank said the two were probably chatting it up for at least an hour.

It was John Lennon.

Orioles1954
01-10-2014, 09:23 AM
As someone who has a father who is battling pancreatic cancer, this thread is quite meaningful to me. I've only spoken to Frank a couple of times while he was placing bids at H&S. All my best to him and his family.

ElCabron
01-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Quick update:

Today Frank has been in and out of consciousness and even saying a word or two every now and then. This might sound like an improvement, but in my opinion it is a step in the wrong direction. He is hurting so much. I want his suffering to end. If there is any silver lining, his being awake allowed me to share all of your kind words with him, naming everyone individually. Whether you posted here or sent me an email or private message, Frank has heard your words. Thank you for that.

-Ryan

slidekellyslide
01-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Quick update:

Today Frank has been in and out of consciousness and even saying a word or two every now and then. This might sound like an improvement, but in my opinion it is a step in the wrong direction. He is hurting so much. I want his suffering to end. If there is any silver lining, his being awake allowed me to share all of your kind words with him, naming everyone individually. Whether you posted here or sent me an email or private message, Frank has heard your words. Thank you for that.

-Ryan

You are a true friend Ryan...bless you.

Orioles1954
01-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Ryan,

When you have time I would be interested to know how you developed a friendship with Frank? This is powerful.

barrysloate
01-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Thank you so much Ryan for passing my message along to Frank. I am so sorry he is in pain, and wish that the hospice would do more to relieve his suffering.

Peter_Spaeth
01-10-2014, 03:42 PM
I grew up south of Alexandria, Virginia, and my beloved sixth grade teacher (and neighbor just a block away) was Katherine Ceresi. When I saw this thread, I assumed there was no connection, but given that the name is somewhat uncommon I did a Google search anyhow. You guessed it: Mrs. Ceresi was Frank's mother. It turns out she passed away in 1995, although his father -- Col. Anthony Ceresi -- lived until 2004.

We should all have -- or better yet, be -- friends like Ryan.

t213
01-10-2014, 05:38 PM
I've probably known Frank about 15 years or so, chatted with him many times about cards and baseball history at the local shows in Northern Virginia. A super guy.

Andy

Tom Hufford
01-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Frank and I spent a lot of time working on a project together in early 2013, but I hadn't talked with him in several months. I'm sorry to say I had no idea about his illness - he never mentioned anything.

My thoughts and prayers go out for Frank, his family and friends. All of us who know Frank are better for it.

tennisguy
01-10-2014, 08:10 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with Frank and his family. God Bless.

rc4157
01-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Prayers to all. Ryan you are a true friend, we all need someone like you to be with us when we pass.
RC

Al C.risafulli
01-10-2014, 09:14 PM
We should all have -- or better yet, be -- friends like Ryan.

I cannot say enough about the friendship of Ryan Christoff.

I'm aching as I read this thread, and Frank (who I do not know) has been in my thoughts all day.

-Al

the 'stache
01-11-2014, 01:49 AM
Ryan you are a true friend, we all need someone like you to be with us when we pass.
RC

I agree, Richard. We should all be so lucky to have true friends like Ryan.

mrvster
01-11-2014, 05:50 AM
I do not know this gentleman, but please send my love......may peace be with him and his family and friends......

johnny v

ElCabron
01-11-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm on my way back to Colorado now. When I get home, I will try to post a bit more about Frank and why he is such an amazing person. Thanks again for all the posts, emails and messages. Each one has made it to Frank and it has been a source of comfort for the family. He is surrounded by people who love him and hopefully that will help him let go and not suffer much longer. When I left, he was sleeping peacefully and was not in any pain. His pain meds are being given hourly now.

As we've seen from this thread, everyone who knew him experienced the same kindness and generosity that are so much a part of who he is. I am heartbroken that today is the last time I will ever get to see him.

-Ryan

scgaynor
01-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Frank, we go back about 20 years, you have done so much for me, I can't even articulate how I feel.

I love you man......

Scott

mark evans
01-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Everyone should be so fortunate as to have a friend like Ryan.

Mark

Ami
01-12-2014, 02:20 AM
My name is Ami. I am going to introduce myself with a story. Frank's son, Dan, had developed deep feelings for me in the summer of 2010. Dan asked Frank what he should do about it, so Frank gave Dan tickets to a Nationals game and told him that he knows what to do next. The rest is history. Now that the introduction is out of the way, first and foremost, Dan and I want to thank you for the outpouring of love and respect. I found this post on Google, and read all 42 posts so far, all thanks to sleepless nights. You are truly a kind group of people with a deeply rooted respect for Frank that delves so far beyond a shared hobby and/or profession.

It is so clear why everybody is so deeply hurt by this. Frank is a remarkable man. In fact, he has been a gentleman through and through. His kindness is such a part of him that, on Friday, "yes, please" and "no, thank you” were still in his lexicon. Because of this intrinsic warmth, he raised Nicole to be a lovely lady and Dan to be a proper gentleman. Between Frank’s family and friends and his immeasurable contributions as a baseball enthusiast, his legacy will live on forever. There will not be a single day that he is not remembered.

I’m fascinated by Frank’s description of Lou Brissie.

“A gentleman and real hero but never ever one to brag.” Ceresi added, “…He may be in a better place now, but his influence and spirit will be with us forever.” (Via: www.thenationalpastimemuseum.com/article/baseballs-purple-heart-game)

Frank, your words haunt me because you are a gentleman and real hero but never ever one to brag. When you reach a better place where you are free of the sort of pain that nobody ever wanted you to know, your influence and spirit will be with us forever. Thank you for pulling me close for a hug tonight and telling me that you love me back. You have no idea how much that means to me. I thought that I had stopped crying for the night. I guess not. I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you. Thank you for everything. I love you, one more time.

---

Ryan, thank you for making this thread, flying out from Colorado, and being a true friend to Frank. You are great.

Leon, thank you for the kind note and for approving my registration so quickly.

Kawika
01-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Ami: Ten years on Net54. First time a post bought a tear to my eye. I only knew Mr Ceresi by his publications, didn't know what a wonderful and decent man he is, and am saddened to learn of his circumstances. I wish kind blessings on the Ceresi ohana.

Ryan: You're a mensch, buddy.

teetwoohsix
01-12-2014, 05:11 PM
I don't know Frank, but I feel like I know him after reading through this thread, and it's obvious that he's a wonderful man who's touched many lives. I just said a prayer for another board member and now I'm saying one for Frank- may God bless you Frank, in this time of need.

Ryan, you are a good man, and fit my definition of a true friend-God bless you too.

Sincerely, Clayton

kcohen
01-12-2014, 06:43 PM
I don't know Frank well. For whatever reason, I can't remember why, he reached out to me to have lunch at a local restaurant (Summers in Arlington). It was a wonderful couple of hours, of which baseball cards and sports were a topic, but comprised only a part. For selfish reasons, I wish I had gotten to know him better. However, much more importantly, I pray that he will pass on without further suffering and that his family and friends will take solace in their treasured memories of him.

AndrewDent
01-13-2014, 08:58 AM
I met Frank back in 1998 when I worked at the MCI Center Sports Gallery in DC. The years that we worked together were truly a great experience. From Frank setting me up to assist Scott with the memorabilia displays, having Danny come through the front entrance or Frank volunteering me to run a tour for a 50 high school students from Missouri. Not really an enjoyable experience for someone with public speaking issues but Frank offered nothing but encouragement. You have left a positive mark in my life. Thanks

h2oya311
01-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Unusual bit of circumstance. I was googling "1913 Homestead Grays" to see if I could find an early image of Cum Posey and came across a web page where Frank Ceresi's name popped up. I recalled seeing his name recently on the Net54 forum, and immediately looked this thread up.

Ami - your post literally brought a few tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing. I now truly wish I had a chance to meet this great man.

All the best in these difficult times to all - including Ryan and Ami.

ullmandds
01-13-2014, 09:52 AM
On a similar note...yesterday I googled something about collecting baseball cards in the 19th century and an article popped up written by Frank as well. It was well written and accurate. My best to Frank and his family.

jimthorpe
01-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Frank is a true gentleman. It saddens me to hear this.

Safe trip Ryan...

Mike McKee

Hankphenom
01-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Sad to report that Frank passed away this morning. RIP, my friend.

tedzan
01-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Frank was a great guy.....he will be really missed.

GOD Bless his soul and comfort his Family.

TED Z

barrysloate
01-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Terribly sad about Frank's passing. My heart goes out to his family. We lost him too soon.

kcohen
01-14-2014, 09:22 AM
RIP Frank.

slidekellyslide
01-14-2014, 09:29 AM
RIP Frank.

Rickyy
01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
What a moving thread....My condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Ceresi. He sounded like a terrific guy. May he rest in peace...

Ricky Y

Hankphenom
01-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Here's SABR's obituary:

http://sabr.org/latest/memoriam-frank-ceresi

ValKehl
01-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Here's the Frank Ceresi obituary that appears in today's Washington Post newspaper.
Val