PDA

View Full Version : Attending the HOF Induction Ceremony

CharleyBrown
01-08-2014, 07:24 PM
With Maddux being my favorite player growing up, I thought it would be pretty cool to attend the induction ceremony this year. My son has also been asking to go to the HOF, and my wife has never been and would like to attend.

I figure it's better to book a hotel earlier than later. Does anybody have any recommendations for hotels in the area? Is there a baseball card show that weekend as well? I'd like to take in the whole experience, and also get some time to visit the HOF, as I haven't been there since I was a kid.

Thanks for the recommendations!

digdugdig
01-08-2014, 11:01 PM
It's been awhile ('95) but as a baseball fan, couldn't recommend the experience any higher...one of the best times in my life.
Gorgeous, small, rural town makes a great setting.
Small colleges rent dorm rooms, etc. pretty cheaply in the surrounding area during the summer months...we had a small apartment very cheaply for the 3 days, can't remember where, worth looking into.
Parking can be scarce and we lucked out there as well. Small, local shop nearby offered to hold the spot for 3 days if paid in advance, and reasonable (recommend that highly as well, if attainable).
Card shows going on as well as multiple autograph set ups going on up and down the street.
And just walking down the street, ya never know who you might run into...in our case, Warren Spahn, walking down the sidewalk shaking hands as he went ... made the comment to us ... "I feel like a damn politician"!
I'm sure it's changed a bit in 20 years but it's a small town surrounded by small towns so I'm sure you could do well within 20 miles, short trek in and back, as we did.
Gettin' vittles can be tough, eat breakfast before you go in, pack a snack or lunch, and plan dinner fixin's closer to your room and outside Cooperstown. Some good eats there but a bit of a crap shoot on availability.
Like I said and I'm sure things have changed, but, hopefully this will give you some idea.
I was very surprised how non-commercialized our experience was...a time I will never forget.
HAVE FUN!!!

bigtrain
01-09-2014, 01:29 PM
I have a vacation home in the Cooperstown area, so I don't use the hotels but I can tell you that there are not too many hotels there. The Otesaga is on the lake but usually most on the rooms are reserved for the Hall of Fame members and their families. In town there are small hotels like the Tunnicliff and the Lakefront but they are usually booked very early. I would check the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce website. There is a lot of information there about hotels and Bed and Breakfasts in the area. There are Best Western, Holiday Inn and Howard Johnson's south of the village on Route 28 if you want a chain type hotel. There is a really nice show held across the street from the Hall of Fame at the VFW hall. Some very good dealers there who come every year including legendary Net 54 member and T206 expert, Pennsylvania Ted. It should be a great year to attend.

HRBAKER
01-17-2014, 08:17 PM
I lived in Atlanta from 1994 through late 2011 and followed the Braves very closely. My golf group and I always talked that when Maddux/Glavine/Cox/Smoltz went into the HOF we would make a trip out of it at least once. Flash forward to 2014 and 3/4 of the four are going in at one time - JACKPOT, right? Wouldn't you know it - my daughter is getting married on July 26th. :p:p

Have a great time!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
01-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Sounds awesome. Please let us know how it turns out.

Jantz
01-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Hi Shaun

Just a suggestion, but you might want to check out the Rose & Thistle Bed & Breakfast. I stayed with them when I took a vacation to Cooperstown and was very pleased with my stay.

They have a website with all the details.

Jantz

bigtrain
01-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Folks in Cooperstown are predicting a very large crowd this year due to having 6 living inductees. There are many nice B&Bs in addition to hotels but don't wait to book. Find one asap.

EvilKing00
01-26-2014, 10:50 AM
With Maddux being my favorite player growing up, I thought it would be pretty cool to attend the induction ceremony this year. My son has also been asking to go to the HOF, and my wife has never been and would like to attend.

I figure it's better to book a hotel earlier than later. Does anybody have any recommendations for hotels in the area? Is there a baseball card show that weekend as well? I'd like to take in the whole experience, and also get some time to visit the HOF, as I haven't been there since I was a kid.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Hey CharleyBrown,

What do u think of Maddux not going in as a Brave? I know the innings are somewhat close, but I thought he would deff go in as a brave. I was pretty surprised he chose neither team.

beachhead2
02-22-2014, 10:55 PM
I've gone three times in the last twelve years. I always rent a house. I've had good luck with this website http://www.cooperstownstay.com/Default.aspx