PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Ted Williams Autograph

SpaceyInMN
01-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Sorry if I have this in the wrong forum category. I'm new here and am slightly confused by where I should be posting this. I have had the attached 1970 Topps card purportedly signed by Ted Williams for a few years now. I got it from a relative when I purchased a 1959 Topps Stan Musial that she had signed in person by him at a show in Minnesota. The Musial was what I wanted, but she threw in a couple other HOFer autographed cards as well, including the one shown in the attached image.

I have looked at several known good exemplars of a Williams autograph, and I have serious doubts about the authenticity of the one I possess, but I thought I would see what others thought, as I know that there can be variations in signatures, especially on smaller items like cards. I won't be disappointed if it's not genuine, as it wasn't what I aimed to purchase, and I paid a very good price for the Musial, which I know is legitimate. So, please let me know what you think, and thank you in advance for your opinion!

Big Dave
01-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Not authentic in my opinion.

bender07
01-08-2014, 08:10 PM
No way on that one

daves_resale_shop
01-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Not signed by the kid.

Looks like the common secretarial as noted in Ron Keurajian's Baseball Hall of Fame Autograph book

SpaceyInMN
01-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Yeah, that's all pretty much what I figured on the Williams. Oh well. Nothing really lost. I paid a song for the lot of cards I bought, which included the forgery of Williams, as well as the attached '59 Musial, a Brooks Robinson, a Tom Seaver, Wade Boggs, Tony Gwynn, and a Tom Brunansky (what can I say, I'm a Twins fan). The Musial is the only one I have 100% confidence in, but the rest are all gravy if they are legitimate.

Sorry for the poor scan of the Musial. I chose to leave it in its hard plastic case when I scanned it.

djson1
01-09-2014, 12:50 PM
IMO, there's nothing wrong with the Gwynn and Boggs. Boggs has a tendency to sign over his face (I have several in-person Boggs where he always signed right over his face for some reason, even if there's other space to sign on), so it appears legit.

Duluth Eskimo
01-10-2014, 10:25 PM
As previously stated, the Williams is secretarial and rest are all good. Nice pick ups

Mark70Z
01-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Brooksie is definitely real...