PDA

View Full Version : Cardcollectorguru on our board....

Leon
01-08-2014, 11:50 AM
So here we go again with this Jose guy, cardcollectorguru. Based on an email this morning, and his other issues, he is now banned. I don't see him being allowed to come back either. I just received another, additional PM, concerning him so want to address it publicly in a thread. If you are doing any deals with him I strongly recommend you get your end of the deal before paying..... Too many issues.....he's gone.

jgmp123
01-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Looking like I may be out nearly $300 because of this guy...Please let me know if anyone has his email address or phone # (that isn't disconnected). You'd think a California police officer would have more integrity!

thehoodedcoder
01-08-2014, 01:58 PM
If the guy is a california police officer, what would happen if you filed a police report against him in his jurisdiction? It would be very embarressing at the very least.

kevin

7nohitter
01-08-2014, 03:23 PM
I was talking to him last month about buying a Bo Jackson card....It didn't dawn on me who he was, or his past issues, until I was ABOUT to write the check...fortunately it was a low cost item.

I email him telling him that I was concerned about sending him money. His reply simply stated: Do whatever you have to do"

I did not send the money and I never heard from him.

Robextend
01-08-2014, 03:35 PM
I had problems with him as well, see this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=178809

Fortunately the deal eventually got done and the 1964 Topps Giants Ken Boyer auto passed 3rd party authentication (not to say that means it is 100% guaranteed authentic).

I feel bad for anyone that got screwed by this guy, but at least he won't be able to do it anymore thanks to Leon and some concerned board members.

teetwoohsix
01-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Looking like I may be out nearly $300 because of this guy...Please let me know if anyone has his email address or phone # (that isn't disconnected). You'd think a California police officer would have more integrity!

Just reading this and wanted to say I hope it works out and you get your money back. But the thing that struck me was that you noted he was a California police officer. It's hard for me to imagine a police officer would be engaged in ripping people off online. My point being, is maybe he is not really a police officer-and if he's not, impersonating a police officer may be a felony offense? Something to look into.

Sincerely, Clayton

jgmp123
01-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Hey Clayton,

If you google him, you'll find that he is an officer and was at one point named "officer of the year" as ironic as that is...

teetwoohsix
01-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Hey Clayton,

If you google him, you'll find that he is an officer and was at one point named "officer of the year" as ironic as that is...

Wow. That's insane. Loss for words...

Sincerely, Clayton

jp1216
01-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Got a card from him last month. Paid by check and had the card in hand about 2 weeks later. Nothing bad to report on my end.

teetwoohsix
01-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Got a card from him last month. Paid by check and had the card in hand about 2 weeks later. Nothing bad to report on my end.

Yeah, I read in the other thread that people ended up getting their cards. Hopefully this works out for James the same way.

Sincerely, Clayton

jgmp123
01-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I read in the other thread that people ended up getting their cards. Hopefully this works out for James the same way.

Sincerely, Clayton

All that happened before he was banned.

quinnsryche
01-08-2014, 06:13 PM
He committed to buy a signed ball from me a few months back. He never sent the money and made a bunch of excuses. Never did the deal, sold to another member. LOSER!

Leon
01-08-2014, 06:41 PM
All that happened before he was banned.

He was only banned this morning. I could un-ban him but I don't think that will help.
He has emailed me this evening so we will see where it goes. There are 2 outstanding issues (not "good" outstanding either), this being one of them.

jgmp123
01-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Leon,

I'll post this for the non-auto folks....

After being tipped off to this being his possible eBay ID: chasman633 (same items he has sold here)...I sent them a message and gave a call to the owner of that id. He explained to me that he knows Jose the same way we do, he purchased a ton of Walter Payton stuff from him on Craigslist and has kept going to him for some items. He then said that Jose had asked him to sell some things for him (Ken Boyer, Bo Jackson, etc.) through eBay.

He said that he would pass the message along to Jose and ask him to reach out to me. The plot thickens.

It actually looks like this guy is a pretty stand-up police officer, so I really hope that this just comes down to him being too busy to send things out on time.

Who knows..I just know i'm out $300.

I suppose he still has access to read everything here, so hopefully he will reach out.
jgmp123@yahoo.com

bender07
01-08-2014, 07:51 PM
He committed to buy a signed ball from me a few months back. He never sent the money and made a bunch of excuses. Never did the deal, sold to another member. LOSER!

Same situation I had with him

chaddurbin
01-08-2014, 07:59 PM
from my interaction with him he was a lil flaky, and i had to keep after him (through calling and texting) but we did complete 1 deal and he sent me a refund for another (took about 2 weeks and 2 tries supposedly the first refund got lost). this was before his number got disconnected tho.

daves_resale_shop
01-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Had a similar poor experience back in September that ended up getting resolved with Leon's assistance...

I vowed not to do business with him again...

slidekellyslide
01-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Looks like this guy has fabricated a back story that has him being drafted by the Mariners in 1998 and playing second base for them in 2000-2002.

If you look in notable citizens at the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond,_California

t206trader
01-09-2014, 07:51 AM
He posted a question and then an answer on wiki answers asking "How long did Joseph Tijero play baseball?" If you look at answer history it becomes apparent that he both asked and answered the question with false information to help "solidify" his Seattle mariner back story. The 36th pick of the draft that was actually Raphael Freeman not "Joseph Tijero" Mariners did not even have a pick in the supplemental 1 draft that Jose claimed to have been taken in. Does he think people will actually believe this stuff?

daves_resale_shop
01-09-2014, 08:21 AM
This is getting a little crazy... Has anyone called his pd department to see if this is the same guy (I am beginning to thinkable it's not).
If it is him, he may taken aback by the direct contact and if not he may want to get involved in this persons pursuit:
The facts:

1- he claims to be a cop (as rated in his profile)
2- his sales methodology has created several concerns within a very trustworthy community. (Over promise and under deliver)
3-only modes of payment check/mo
4-someone has set up false websites in this persons name
5-he has distributed a cellphone to members which has been disconnected
6-some of the material he has attempted to sell is questionable...

Not sure he has committed a criminal act thus far but someone should definitely call that pd

btcarfagno
01-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Are we certain that this same person posting here is the one trying to fabricate the Seattle Mariners story thing? Or is that just speculation? Has he ever told anyone on here that he used to play pro ball?

Tom C

slidekellyslide
01-09-2014, 09:11 AM
If anyone here wrote a check to him, was it made out to Joseph or Jose Tijero?

smokelessjoe
01-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Hey Dan, here is his about me page and he filled out his real name???

About cardcollectorguru
Real Name
Joseph
Collecting Interests
High end autograph from deceased players PSA/DNA
Occupation
Police Officer

jp1216
01-09-2014, 10:52 AM
If anyone here wrote a check to him, was it made out to Joseph or Jose Tijero?

My check was made out to Jose Tijero.

jgmp123
01-09-2014, 10:57 AM
My check was also made out to Jose Tijero

Leon
01-09-2014, 11:17 AM
I just spoke with Jose on the phone for several minutes. He is very cordial and answered every question I had. This is a tough one. :). He confirms he is a sheriff. He confirms his nickname is Joseph, which is pretty common I think. He says he has never had anything to do with any Pro football tryouts or anything like that. He said James' stuff was shipped out and he did ship it a bit late. He confirmed that because of his job he changes his phone number fairly often. As for Jason's issue, he says Jason said he was going to send the item to JSA, after PSA said it wasn't good,......but Jason hasn't gotten back to him. So that is where we are right now....I dunno....

slidekellyslide
01-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Pro football tryouts or anything like that.

Did you ask him about the Mariners?

Leon
01-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Did you ask him about the Mariners?

My mistake....when I was on the phone I thought it was a football team for some reason. I do know who the Mariners are :). But no, I didn't ask him.

thehoodedcoder
01-09-2014, 02:48 PM
if you asked about pro football, one would think he would have mentioned pro baseball if he had.

kevin

Leon
01-09-2014, 02:57 PM
if you asked about pro football, one would think he would have mentioned pro baseball if he had.

kevin

maybe Kevin....I am really up in the air on this situation right now. I know of no one defrauded and he has been on the board 2 yrs. I am not saying it couldn't still happen, after all, in watching the news today it did look like Hell Froze over recently :)..
There are 2 currently open issues, I expect them to be resolved as all of the others have been. Most likely, we'll get through these couple of situations and he will be allowed back but not on the BST. I don't need the drama :). A few other members are only on the main forums too.

insccollectibles
01-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Hey Clayton,

Not ironic at all. With police officers pay being around $26,000-$30,000 gross a year to put their life on the line. I'm not condoning being corrupt but this could possibly contribute to it happening.

Bpm0014
01-09-2014, 03:57 PM
There aren't any police officers that make $30,000. I live in Pittsburgh. After about a couple of years, almost all cops make $100,000.

Deertick
01-09-2014, 04:03 PM
There aren't any police officers that make $30,000. I live in Pittsburgh. After about a couple of years, almost all cops make $100,000.

Right and wrong.

New York City Police Department

As of 2010, the New York Police Department offers cadets enrolled in the police academy annual pay of $44,474. Rookie police officers get a raise to $46,288 after six months on the job. You are given another raise to $48,173 after 18 months. After 2.5 years of experience, you get another raise to $53,819, and at 3.5 years your total annual pay increases to $58,876. You get another salary bump at 4.5 years on the job, bringing you up to $62,455 a year. At five years, you are up to $69,005, and with 5.5 years of experience, you get a large increase to a total annual salary of $90,829. These salary figures do not include overtime pay.

Austin Police Department

Cadets in the Austin Police Department are paid $2667 a month for the eight-month police academy program. You will earn $55,563 a year during your first year as a probationary officer in the APD. You could, however, earn an annual salary up to $64,452 if you were bilingual and had a college degree. After your one-year anniversary, you will receive a pay increase to $62,352 a year, or $70,722 annually with the same bilingual and education incentive bonuses. After two years, you receive a base annual salary of $68,819, which could increase to $81,559 if you added field officer training and crisis-intervention officer training bonuses to the bilingual and education incentives. Overtime pay is not included in these salary figures.

Los Angeles Police Department

The Los Angeles Police Department pays police academy cadets an annual step-one salary of $47,982. After six months of service, you receive an increase to step two at $49,924 a year. After another 12 months, or 18 total months of service, you move up to step three, at $51,866 a year. You get another pay increase to $54,747 at step four, when you reach 2.5 years of service, and a raise to $59,967 at step five, with 3.5 years experience. You reach step six with 4.5 years of experience, and receive another salary increase to $62,389. The LAPD also offers additional incentives for having a college degree, foreign language skills or hazard pay.

Tampa Police Department

The Tampa Police Department operates on an 11-step salary system. You begin at step one with an annual salary of $46,384.40, and move up to step two at $46,384. Over time, you can work your way up to step ten, at $67,620.80, or even master patrol officer at $75,358.40. The Tampa Police Department also offers several education incentives and shift premium pay.

insccollectibles
01-09-2014, 04:21 PM
My source

http://www.indeed.com/salary/Police-Officer.html

"Average Police Officer salaries for job postings nationwide are 58% lower than average salaries for all job postings nationwide."

01-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Whatever they make, it's not enough.

thehoodedcoder
01-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Whatever they make, it's not enough.

they end up screwing the system over anyway. the cronies keep the employee count low so they get over time, which i believe is double pay. they keep their vacation time and sick pay so as they get older and make more money they take it at a higher salary. there are cops in nj that make 150k plus and they are not even that high up the chain of command.

not all cops put their lives on 'the line' there are tons of them directing traffic at tax payers expenses while the electric company fixes power lines, have a full time job at the dmv wasting everyones time and money, or have full time jobs at the court houses.

this is not to mention there are tons of dirty cops. if you don't have a story about a bogus cop, then you haven't lived my friend. everyone knows one or has a story.

kevin

JasonD08
01-09-2014, 06:47 PM
A few transactions with Joe on Bo Jackson and Payton items. He did take awhile and they were legit autos. I had to chase him for one transaction but it worked out.

Jason

slidekellyslide
01-10-2014, 07:44 AM
this is not to mention there are tons of dirty cops. if you don't have a story about a bogus cop, then you haven't lived my friend. everyone knows one or has a story.

kevin

I guess I haven't lived because I have never known a "Bogus cop". Do they exist? Sure, we may even have one scamming our fellow Net54ers, but scammers (or "Bogus" people) can be found in any profession.

steve B
01-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Right and wrong.

These salary figures do not include overtime pay.

That's the key phrase right there. Even if there isn't official overtime for newer officers there's a lot of work doing paid details.

Here in Ma. That translates to directing traffic. Or, more cynically, either stopping traffic to let people out of an office complex. Or talking with construction guys as they dig a hole.
Other places I've been they're a lot more active about actually directing traffic, and some guys are better than others.

But Ill also say Kevin is wrong about the job not being risky. Even the traffic directing part.
One time I had to be a flag guy for a truck loading on a fairly rural road close enough to a corner that they needed a flag guy. Reflective vest, reflective flag, 35 mph speed limit average closer to 50. Maybe 20 cars came by. Anyone want to guess how many actually slowed down? Or how many blew the horn at me? Or how many threw a can or fast food wrapper at me?
( The answers are 0, 6 and 2)
When I told the cop who had done the work at the truck itself, he said I'd done pretty well.
I can't really picture trying to do that while standing in the street instead of at the side.

Steve B

tschock
01-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Regarding police officers. As with any occupation, the good ones don't get paid nearly enough while the bad ones are woefully overpaid, maybe by 100% (or more).

Comiskey
01-10-2014, 05:51 PM
I really think that our PD officers are at least getting compensated for putting their lives on the line. It's like anything, a lot of times people only see the easy part of the job. My brother is a cop, who most of the time probably just cruises the streets. But when I did a ride a long with him a while back, it was at night and he had to pull over a car. I thought he was crazy because he walked up to this car by himself to investigate. I was thinking to myself that he has no idea who was in the car, maybe the person had a gun or was a felon and could blow him away. I thought about his job and his family, and how easily things can change for him. Police officers walk around with a target on their back at all times.

I was thinking the other day about the time magazine cover of the boston bombings, who's on the cover? Police officers drawing their guns because the bomb went off. They weren't running away like I would have been, they were putting their lives on the line when duty calls.

And, when I turn on my tv to see an athlete or actor getting paid millions and millions of dollars for entertainment purposes, it blows me away that people rant that police officers, teachers, etc., are getting paid too much.

Jeff

rainier2004
01-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Well said Jeff.

I know some bogus officers and they suck. I also knew an officer that was killed on a traffic stop and my father-in-laws partner of 20 years was killed in a chase...they weren't paid anywhere near enough. Just imagine a night time traffic stop...dark, by yourself and that d-bag in the car could have his 9-mil pointed between your eyes as you approach the car, and this is every traffic stop they call "routine".

Actors and ball players make a lot of money, shows where our cultural priorities are.

Bpm0014
01-10-2014, 06:26 PM
To add: Most cops get crazy overtime with court time (that pays 2.5-4x their hourly pay). Not to mention details which pay roughly $75 an hour. Most cops here in Pittsburgh (middle class city) make $80k-$110k (total).

daves_resale_shop
01-10-2014, 08:49 PM
This thread has gotten way off track and I think its about time it gets reeled in...

We are dealing with a boardmember (now banned-thank you Leon) who has over promised and under delivered on at least 5 occasions, there are 2 situations where he has allegedly defrauded other members...

If this gent is truly a police officer he should be ashamed of himself... His duty is to protect and serve, to be honest and ethical while being a pillar in his community...

Clearly there are bad apples in every bunch (propreitors, lawyers, doctors, carpenters, machinists, Sports Memorabilia Dealers etc...)... but the bottom line is that police officers, fire fighters, and military take an inherent risk when they sign on for the job...

I don't feel that it is appropriate to comment on their duties. One day they may be directing traffic at a of rate of $50 an hour, the next day they may be risking their lives chasing the person who just invaded your home & stole your possessions for $15 per hour...

In my opinion, this cat Jose is not a good egg... But to lump other public servants into this discussion (good/bad/indifferent) is just not fair.

7nohitter
01-11-2014, 04:47 AM
[QUOTE=daves_resale_shop;1226273]This thread has gotten way off track and I think its about time it gets reeled in...

We are dealing with a boardmember (now banned-thank you Leon) who has over promised and under delivered on at least 5 occasions, there are 2 situations where he has allegedly defrauded other members...

THANK YOU!

yankeeno7
01-14-2014, 06:39 PM
I just found this thread. I am outstanding for 385.00 with this guy. Does anyone have his contact information? I need to be made whole on this.
Thanks
Barry

Leon
01-14-2014, 06:43 PM
I just found this thread. I am outstanding for 385.00 with this guy. Does anyone have his contact information? I need to be made whole on this.
Thanks
Barry

Just sent to you......good luck...

thehoodedcoder
01-14-2014, 06:45 PM
In my opinion, this cat Jose is not a good egg...

Well, naturally. you can't be both.

Kevin

Leon
01-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Just an fyi, looks like ole Jose is quite pervasive. I have had 2-3 more PMs in the last few days concerning cards that members have bought and not received yet. For those sympathetic to his issues, don't be.

chaddurbin
01-16-2014, 04:12 PM
i had to keep at him for about 2 weeks to get my refund, basically texting/calling and even telling him to send the refund with tracking...but in the end i did get it. don't know if it had any effect, but this was before his issues blew up on the board and he was banned.

i don't agree with the waiting period for new people selling. it's hard to monitor who could be a potential scammer, but we could make it harder like not allowing new people to accept check/mo/pp gift only. regular paypal is still safe against most types of online scammers.

yankeeno7
01-19-2014, 06:44 AM
I emailed Jose. He did not respond to my first email but then did respond to my second. He told me that he did not have my address to mail. This was confusing as he had mailed to me twice before. Maybe he can not look at his old PMs here?

Anyway, I am expecting that he mails me my items OR a refund.

I will update on the results.

bobbyw8469
01-19-2014, 06:48 AM
if you lay down with fleas, guess what... If the deal seems too good to be true, guess what... I'm glad the rotten egg got banned, but sometimes the "buyer" in these instances need to use some common sense and listen to their "gut". Alot of times, that gut feeling is right!

EvilKing00
01-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Hey Clayton,

I would deff report him to his own precinct

HOFAUTOS
01-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Had a strange feeling about him when I PM'ed him to buy a few items. Glad I didn't follow through with the purchase.

HRBAKER
01-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Why would anyone pay any newbie with Paypal Gift?

Sean
01-19-2014, 04:13 PM

+1

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
01-19-2014, 07:44 PM
I would deff report him to his own precinct

That is great advice. Ask to talk to someone in internal affairs or professional review board.

jgmp123
01-20-2014, 04:07 PM
i had to keep at him for about 2 weeks to get my refund, basically texting/calling and even telling him to send the refund with tracking...but in the end i did get it. don't know if it had any effect, but this was before his issues blew up on the board and he was banned.

i don't agree with the waiting period for new people selling. it's hard to monitor who could be a potential scammer, but we could make it harder like not allowing new people to accept check/mo/pp gift only. regular paypal is still safe against most types of online scammers.

He wasn't a "newbie". He's been here for well over a year.

yankeeno7
01-24-2014, 05:02 PM
if you lay down with fleas, guess what... If the deal seems too good to be true, guess what... I'm glad the rotten egg got banned, but sometimes the "buyer" in these instances need to use some common sense and listen to their "gut". Alot of times, that gut feeling is right!

Bobbyw throwing out some barbs because he thinks he can get a bit even with me.

Difference between you and me, Bobby, you dont see me making multiple threads about whining and whining and whining about every little thing.

I had two previous transactions with Jose that went quickly and went well. There was no initial sign of something bad happening. As the previous poster said, he was here for over a year.

Personally, I did not pay with PP gift. I sent a check that he cashed so I have a paper trail AND an instrument.

I dont think he is out to screw anyone, just as it was said, he is passive and lazy.

Bar.ry Jo.ck

Sean1125
01-24-2014, 07:25 PM
I respectfully disagree, Barry. This individual was specifically out to screw people. It is an advanced scam.

I can add this:

If anyone ever wants free escrow I am happy to help, just drop me a line. I used to buy and sell online gaming accounts and offered this in a much more difficult to deal in market where about 3/4 of the transactions that occurred were people trying to scam others.

ATP
01-24-2014, 08:25 PM
In my opinion I agree with Sean 100 percent on the advanced scam. He attempted to sell a few high dollar items as well that someone could have been stuck holding the bag on, not just $20 Walter Payton's.

Rob D.
01-24-2014, 08:30 PM

Stickin' it to the man, Jeff. Stickin' it to the man.

bobbyw8469
01-30-2014, 09:28 PM
I wasn't attempting to throw barbs at anyone. I was just making a statement, that every collector should follow. If the deal seems too good to be true, it usually is.

andybecker
01-30-2014, 09:39 PM
I have no idea who Jose is, but if he is really an active officer of the law, I would call the chief of police where he works. fraud is fraud and he would be up a creek. me thinks.

kcohen
01-31-2014, 01:31 AM

I find amusing those who mount their high horses to call out a purported scammer, yet have no compunction regarding the use of Paypal gift payment to scam THEM out of THEIR fees. Hypocrisy much?

Rob D.
01-31-2014, 04:56 AM
I find amusing those who mount their high horses to call out a purported scammer, yet have no compunction regarding the use of Paypal gift payment to scam THEM out of THEIR fees. Hypocrisy much?

Apples and oranges, Ken. You see, eBay/PayPal deserve it because all they care about is money and not creating a marketplace where people can sell their baseball cards for relatively little cost. Bastards.

bn2cardz
01-31-2014, 10:13 AM

There is no such thing as "paypal gift" anymore. Now there are only two options.
1)I'm paying for goods or services

or

2)I'm sending money to family or friends

A lot of people on here can consider purchases both. They see other Net54 members as friends, yet they are purchasing goods. It really comes down to how much help do you want from papal. If you say it is to a friend or family Net54 assumes they will not need to step in to help, if it is for goods or services the fee is there to have them act as a mediator when needed. So if you really don't know the person you are sending the money to and you put it as friend you are taking a risk that is now on you. This has nothing to do with scamming paypal.

kcohen
01-31-2014, 05:21 PM
There is no such thing as "paypal gift" anymore. Now there are only two options.
1)I'm paying for goods or services

or

2)I'm sending money to family or friends

A lot of people on here can consider purchases both. They see other Net54 members as friends, yet they are purchasing goods. It really comes down to how much help do you want from papal. If you say it is to a friend or family Net54 assumes they will not need to step in to help, if it is for goods or services the fee is there to have them act as a mediator when needed. So if you really don't know the person you are sending the money to and you put it as friend you are taking a risk that is now on you. This has nothing to do with scamming paypal.

If that rationalization floats your boat, go with it.

bn2cardz
01-31-2014, 07:00 PM
If that rationalization floats your boat, go with it.

Haha! It isn't just a "rationalization", it is the truth.

ValKehl
01-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Ken, I completely agree with you. A PayPal payer is either purchasing something, or he/she isn't - it's NOT a gray area.
Val

Rob D.
01-31-2014, 08:28 PM
Ken, I completely agree with you. A PayPal payer is either purchasing something, or he/she isn't - it's NOT a gray area.
Val

Many people agree with Ken (and you, Val).

One only has to do a simple search of the Net54 archives and read posts that say "eBay makes too much money as it is" or "eBay forces me to use PayPal" to realize that foregoing buyer protection usually has nothing to do with using the "gift" option when making a purchase and everything to do with cheating PayPal out of the fees it charges for providing a service that the buyer and seller choose to use.

ValKehl
01-31-2014, 08:49 PM
Hi Rob,
I admit that one of my pet peeves is sellers who request payment only via PayPal "gift" (which I gather is now PayPal "friends"). This is very similar to my pet peeve re folks who boast about cheating on their income taxes, especially those who act like I'm some kind of idiot if I happen to mention that I don't go down that road.
Val

slidekellyslide
01-31-2014, 08:54 PM
I would think that using paypal gift or friends all the time would be a huge red flag for the IRS. I know that most people here using it just don't want paypal to cut into their profit on a sale, but I think the IRS looking at it would see a lot of money moving around between "friends".

Sean1125
01-31-2014, 09:23 PM
I would think that using paypal gift or friends all the time would be a huge red flag for the IRS. I know that most people here using it just don't want paypal to cut into their profit on a sale, but I think the IRS looking at it would see a lot of money moving around between "friends".

IRS does not look at it unless you receive $20k or more than 1k transactions in a given calender year. Those 20k in transactions have to be REGULAR paypal as well.

tribefan
01-31-2014, 09:27 PM
It would seem that some sellers want to remain below a certain threshold with regular Paypal, and request gift or friends and family payment. If that is the case, maybe they would offer a discounted price?

slidekellyslide
01-31-2014, 10:09 PM
IRS does not look at it unless you receive $20k or more than 1k transactions in a given calender year. Those 20k in transactions have to be REGULAR paypal as well.

I know...I blow by that in a month and a half.

CW
01-31-2014, 10:18 PM

I find amusing those who mount their high horses to call out collectors who request paypal gift for payment, labelling them scammers, yet have no compunction regarding going directly against Paypal's user agreement by charging an extra fee to buyers who wish to use Paypal.

For full disclosure, I've done the same as you -- I just don't go around on my high horse flinging the old hypocrisy label onto others like I'm a little angel.

Nice card. Ultra rare Piedmont Back ;)

Asking $995 dlvd. Regular paypal add $25.

Can contact me at [removed]

Thanks for looking.

K.en C.ohen

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#4

thenavarro
01-31-2014, 10:37 PM
I find amusing those who mount their high horses to call out collectors who request paypal gift for payment, labelling them scammers, yet have no compunction regarding going directly against Paypal's user agreement by charging an extra fee to buyers who wish to use Paypal.

For full disclosure, I've done the same as you -- I just don't go around on my high horse flinging the old hypocrisy label onto others like I'm a little angel.

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Lol

GoldenAge50s
01-31-2014, 11:57 PM
i find amusing those who mount their high horses to call out collectors who request paypal gift for payment, labelling them scammers, yet have no compunction regarding going directly against paypal's user agreement by charging an extra fee to buyers who wish to use paypal.

For full disclosure, i've done the same as you -- i just don't go around on my high horse flinging the old hypocrisy label onto others like i'm a little angel.

4.6 no surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting paypal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-paypal transactions.

wow!:d

bender07
02-01-2014, 02:31 AM

Too funny!

7nohitter
02-01-2014, 06:26 AM
Let's get back to Jose...

CW
02-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Sorry, guys... wasn't in the best mood last night. ;)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jqWt49o7R-k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-01-2014, 12:34 PM
This pretty much sums up my feelings.

HRBAKER
02-01-2014, 01:07 PM
I know I for one work for free, I can't imagine it to be unreasonable to expect PP to do the same, right?

freakhappy
02-01-2014, 01:56 PM
I know I for one work for free, I can't imagine it to be unreasonable to expect PP to do the same, right?

I'm pretty sure they are doing just fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HRBAKER
02-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm pretty sure they are doing just fine :)

I'm sure they are but that's not the point. :)

freakhappy
02-01-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm sure they are but that's not the point. :)

Oh, I get the point. If anyone uses the FF option, the protection isn't there...most people understand that and pick that option regardless. If anyone wants to use it, I have no problem with it and if Paypal had a big issue with it, they could probably do something about it.

HRBAKER
02-01-2014, 02:20 PM
I think it used to be referred to as the honor system.

Obviously the way it is set up leaves a lot of leeway, and it should come as no surprise that a lot of people will choose the option that gets them something for nothing. I get that too.

freakhappy
02-01-2014, 02:28 PM
If I ever sold bigger items or purchased bigger items, I would have to think about using FF or not. I can see where you are coming from, Jeff, but it's an option and they allow it to be used. My big issue with it is that the protection isn't there. But yeah, honor system...sounds good :) roll with what you believe in

HRBAKER
02-01-2014, 04:12 PM
It's amazing how many people are "Friends and Family" with folks they couldn't pick out of a crowd of one. That's the internet age for ya, really has made the world a smaller place. ;)

nolemmings
02-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Jeff, I hear ya and agree with you about the honor system, and while I will admit to having been "dishonorable" a few times, I generally add the paypal charges out my pocket when told I can pay by using "family & friends". I have never asked someone to pay me by "paypal gift" or its newer equivalent.

This construct that paypal differentiates true business transactions by the relationship of the participants is, um, artful. ;) Truth is they are offering a service whereby expect a little % for such transactions, whereas if you are truly acting as a conduit for the transfer of funds--maybe even loans, there is no charge. Look at their fee explanation-- it tells you that buyers do not pay, sellers do, and transfers of money are usually without charge when made to friends and family. Note that it makes no friend/family distinction when discussing what happens when you are "selling something". You pay and you get the protection. I always thought that the intent and language was fairly straightforward, but I guess others have a different interpretation.

HRBAKER
02-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Todd,

I agree. If a seller is selling something and I want it enough, I will pick up the fees if they ask for "FF/Gift." IMO, truth be told not only is the seller skirting the T&C but they are asking the buyer to as well. They want instant access to the funds from a confirmed source for free - sure beats waiting for a check, then waiting for it to clear, etc (that's the service part you are paying for). I think that if a seller doesn't want to pay the fees the right thing to do is to offer other payment methods.

Leon
02-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Todd,

I agree. If a seller is selling something and I want it enough, I will pick up the fees if they ask for "FF/Gift." IMO, truth be told not only is the seller skirting the T&C but they are asking the buyer to as well. They want instant access to the funds from a confirmed source for free - sure beats waiting for a check, then waiting for it to clear, etc (that's the service part you are paying for). I think that if a seller doesn't want to pay the fees the right thing to do is to offer other payment methods.

I pay paypal quite a bit in fees. Sometimes I ask for FF, if it is a friend or family.....even if for a service or item. All things totaled I am sure ebay would rather me use their service. I requested almost $500 from someone this evening and will be eating the fees...and it's for a service with no protections needed. I could have just as easily asked for a check as I don't need the money now.
If I request a FF then I always give another option to the other party. Am I skirting their rules, probably. But do I feel I also pay them back, yes. Probably not perfect and in some members eyes unconscionable, but to me it's not that bad. They make a lot of profit off of me and I do it on purpose to help (me) justify the times I use FF......but again, to each their own.

HRBAKER
02-01-2014, 05:55 PM
If I request a FF then I always give another option to the other party.

That's key distinction btw insisting on PP and making the buyer pick up your cost of doing business in vio of the T&C. All IMO of course.

Eric72
02-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Todd,

Jeff,

I agree with you 100%, and have offered to pick up the (roughly 3%) fees when there is no other payment option listed. I also agree that PayPal (yes, eBay) offers services rendered for fees paid service.

If sending payment through this service...if you get screwed...I ask this:

Did you really send the money to a "friend" or a member of your "family?"

Probably not.

Leon
02-01-2014, 06:11 PM
If I request a FF then I always give another option to the other party.

That's key distinction btw insisting on PP and making the buyer pick up your cost of doing business in vio of the T&C. All IMO of course.

I could just not take PayPal at all and then paypal would get 0. Instead they get quite a bit or money from me. That isn't in their T&C. And no, it's probably not perfect but I also understand they have essentially no risk whatsoever when I accept FF......

jgmp123
02-12-2014, 07:55 PM
Update:
Hello all,

I finally was able to get Jose to mail out my items and he provided me with tracking. The only problem now is that the item shows delivered to my town, but not to my home. I was expecting 2 packages today and one was delivered with my normal mail at 1:30pm, but the package from Jose shows it was scanned as "delivered" at 9:30am....

I am beginning to think I am going crazy. I called the post office and alerted them to the issue, gave them the tracking #, and was told the driver would check his route and return a call to me tomorrow.

I assume someone at the post office scanned it in and took the items, but who knows. This is the first issue I have had with this particular post office, after having 100's of items delivered.

I confirmed the address was correct and Jose said it was, but who knows.

My two questions:
1.) It was shipped "First Class" and I don't believe that includes insurance, so is there anything I can do? Especially with the discrepancy in the delivery times?

2.) By me giving them the tracking #, Are they able to see what address the package was designated to? Let's say it was sent to "907 Street Address" instead of "970 Street Address" ?

JasonD08
02-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Nope you are screwed.

jgmp123
02-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Nope you are screwed.

Thanks Jason. Do I owe you anything for that?

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-12-2014, 10:17 PM
I had this same issue. I think the cards were delivered to the wrong house because someone put the package on my porch later that night.

7nohitter
02-13-2014, 05:41 AM
There have been several threads recently about the 'scan showing delivered' issue. If I recall correctly, part of the problem is that the delivery person is not supposed to scan the item until it is ACTUALLY delivered.

However, many delivery people are scanning the items when they start their route in the morning...the theory being that, "it WILL BE delivered..."

I should know better, and I apologize, but there is a member here who works for USPS and has been great about offering insight into this issue...

rainier2004
02-13-2014, 07:12 AM
There have been several threads recently about the 'scan showing delivered' issue. If I recall correctly, part of the problem is that the delivery person is not supposed to scan the item until it is ACTUALLY delivered.

However, many delivery people are scanning the items when they start their route in the morning...the theory being that, "it WILL BE delivered..."

I should know better, and I apologize, but there is a member here who works for USPS and has been great about offering insight into this issue...

This is being discussed in 2 other threads and Andrew is right per our local n54 PO member. I don't think it shows where the package actually went as it was scanned inappropriately to beging with. What time was the package scanned at? How about the package you actually got? It show delivery at 130, but if its a different time you know they were scanned early...but I do think you are SOL unless someone brings you your package.

jgmp123
02-13-2014, 07:27 AM
This is being discussed in 2 other threads and Andrew is right per our local n54 PO member. I don't think it shows where the package actually went as it was scanned inappropriately to beging with. What time was the package scanned at? How about the package you actually got? It show delivery at 130, but if its a different time you know they were scanned early...but I do think you are SOL unless someone brings you your package.

Both packages were scanned in as received at 8:35am....The package missing was marked delivered at around 9:45am...the package that was delivered successfully was at 1:35pm

rainier2004
02-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Both packages were scanned in as received at 8:35am....The package missing was marked delivered at around 9:45am...the package that was delivered successfully was at 1:35pm

Maybe they have a record of where it was scanned at 9:45, that's a chunk of time in between the 2 deliveries at 1:35.

yankeeno7
02-22-2016, 11:08 PM
After over 2 years, I finally got the last of my refund from Jose Tijero. It took a ton of emails and a ton of threats to report him to his city's property recovery at his local police department. Really, it wasnt so much a threat but something I was prepared to do.

I imagine he finally refunded me (slowly, worse than pulling teeth) because he didnt want to be embarrassed to other local law enforcement, many he probably knew. Plus it would have looked terrible for him professionally.

In the end, I got back what was mine. I'm happy about that but I surely would never do business with him ever again.

I'm sorry for those who wrote off what they lost.

7nohitter
02-23-2016, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the update, Barry!

Still can't believe this guy has a job in law enforcement; seems very hypocritical!

ksabet
02-23-2016, 07:28 AM

Duluth Eskimo
02-23-2016, 08:31 PM
I sent an email to his supervisor at his department and got blown off. Please forward me the info you sent so I can make his life miserable for the money he stole from me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jason

billyb
02-23-2016, 10:48 PM
erased