PDA

View Full Version : New member here

sportsnbikes
01-08-2014, 11:16 AM
My name is Jeff and this is going to be fun. I collected cards very heavily as a kid. Then got back into it as an adult. I had some pretty good early cards from the 50's and early 60's of J Robinson, Willie Mays, Aaron and a few others like them. I had all the newer (at the time) good rookies like Jeter, Griffey, A-Rod and etc.

Unfortunately, I sold everything because I just couldn't keep up with all the cards coming out. It got to be too much. So, I started collecting game used items and will continue to do so.

However, I really enjoy the old cards. They are much more rare and mean so much more than the hundreds of thousands of cards made every year. So that is something I am looking to start collecting and enjoying; one day passing it all to my youngest son who loves sports.

I joined because I need to learn about what I am buying first. I know this site will give me the knowledge I need.

01-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Welcome aboard Jeff. Go ahead and bookmark these to get started:

http://www.net54baseball.com/search.php

http://oldcardboard.com/

mrvster
01-08-2014, 03:11 PM
buy a few T206 cards off ebay....you will love them!!:)

email or pm me for help

peace

Johnny V

sportsnbikes
01-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Welcome aboard Jeff. Go ahead and bookmark these to get started:

http://www.net54baseball.com/search.php

http://oldcardboard.com/

Got it and done!

sportsnbikes
01-08-2014, 03:22 PM
buy a few T206 cards off ebay....you will love them!!:)

email or pm me for help

peace

Johnny V

I've been looking. Just trying to pinpoint the exact ones I want to start with! Thanks for the offer of help!

Jim65
01-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Unfortunately, I sold everything because I just couldn't keep up with all the cards coming out. It got to be too much. So, I started collecting game used items and will continue to do so.

Welcome, I recognize your name from GUU.

sportsnbikes
01-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Welcome, I recognize your name from GUU.

Yep! I actually heard of this site on there. I'm expanding. LOL.

mrvster
01-08-2014, 03:43 PM
YOU will LOve them and this site....:)......start out with a beater HOF....pm or email me....or a common....I will help you:)

the 'stache
01-09-2014, 03:21 AM
Welcome aboard, Jeff!

It sounds like you're in the same boat I was. I returned to the hobby about four years ago, and immediately felt like a hamster running on a squeaky wheel trying to keep up with all the new issues. I still collect some modern cards, but I have found pre-war collecting to be much more enjoyable.

I know you said you were still trying to pinpoint what you want to collect. My advice is take your time. Look around, and don't be afraid to ask questions. This place has some of the nicest, and most knowledgeable hobby enthusiasts you'll ever find. Just remember, too, that there is no right or wrong way to collect. Collect what you love.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. My message box is always open.

Have fun! I look forward to seeing what you end up doing.

Bill

Leon
01-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Welcome Jeff. If you can't make your mind up on what to collect you can always be a type collector, like myself and some others, and collect all of them. I have always liked variety and type collecting fills that niche in our hobby. There are an endless number of ways to collect and reading this board you will see a ton of them. Happy collecting and good luck in the hunt!!

ethicsprof
01-09-2014, 08:27 AM
welcome aboard!
great having you with us.
all the best,
barry

sportsnbikes
01-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the very nice responses and the offers of help. I made a trip to the local card store today to root around in their cards and get a few ideas of what I may like. All of the stuff I saw was graded stuff. I think I'd rather perfect the skill of picking up non-graded cards and getting them graded myself or not at all. There is just something about never being able to physically hold the item in my hand.