PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney Opinion...

jgmp123
01-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Hey guys,

I have been offered this Walt Disney cut. Please let me know your thoughts, as entertainment is out of my realm of comfort. Jim and Richard I know that you both buy and sell a large number of entertainment autograph, so any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Duluth Eskimo
01-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Just my opinion and I don't know anything about Disney, but it appears slowly drawn in the Wa and then in the Y at the end. You probably know a lot more than me about entertainment autographs, but i'm told Disney is as tough to find real as Gehrig.

bender07
01-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Contact Phil Sears. He's the unquestioned Disney expert.

shelly
01-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Contact Phil Sears. He's the unquestioned Disney expert.

Agree one hundred percent. :)

jgmp123
01-07-2014, 08:05 PM
I've reached out to Phil, but haven't heard back yet. Still wanted the fine folks of Net54's input. :)

JoeyF1981
01-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Phil sears for sure. He charges $35 for a quick opinion and he's the only person id trust when it comes to authenticating disney's auto which is very highly forged

brooklynbaseball
01-08-2014, 01:04 PM
(I think) I've attached a Disney signed piece, authenticated by Mr Sears. Hope it helps

jgmp123
01-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Per Phil Sears:
I have reviewed the image you provided of the "Walt Disney" signature. The signature is not consistent with Walt Disney's autograph for any era. The "BEST WISHES" is an exaggerated jumble; the "W" is incorrectly constructed; the "a" is too large, the "l" is to small, the "t" is improperly drawn; the "is" in "Disney" shows uncharacteristic slowness in addition to being accomplished incorrectly.

This is a "preliminary" opinion because it is based upon a photograph. I only issue certificates of authenticity after inspecting an autograph in person. I do not recommend going to the expense of sending this piece to me for further evaluation. While a piece that looks good in a photo sometimes looks worse in person, the reverse is not true. A signature that is clearly bad in a photograph never looks better upon closer scrutiny.
Lastly, a word about myself. I have specialized in Walt Disney's autograph habits for 20 years. I have served as the Walt Disney autograph consultant for Sotheby's animation auctions in New York and Christie's South Kensington in London. I maintain a good, information-sharing relationship with the Walt Disney Studio Archives, and I am the only autograph dealer specializing in Walt Disney autographed items. My reference files of copies of authentic, forged, and secretarial Disney material is extensive. I have assembled a database tracking the evolution of Walt Disney's autograph virtually year-by-year, from the 1920's to his death in 1966. I am contributor to the Walt Disney Family Museum and I am a longtime member in good standing of the Manuscript Society and U.A.C.C., two groups dedicated to the betterment of the autograph collecting field.
Sincerely,
Phil Sears

gregr2
01-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Well that pretty much settles that!

JoeyF1981
01-08-2014, 08:02 PM
its funny because before I knew who phil sears was I looked at many disney autos and they all looked about the same to me real and fake. I finally did some researching and contacted him with most of the disney autos I thought were for sure authentic and they all turned out to be fake except one. Saved me alot of money

mschwade
01-09-2014, 06:32 AM
Per Phil Sears:
I have reviewed the image you provided of the "Walt Disney" signature. The signature is not consistent with Walt Disney's autograph for any era. The "BEST WISHES" is an exaggerated jumble; the "W" is incorrectly constructed; the "a" is too large, the "l" is to small, the "t" is improperly drawn; the "is" in "Disney" shows uncharacteristic slowness in addition to being accomplished incorrectly.

This is a "preliminary" opinion because it is based upon a photograph. I only issue certificates of authenticity after inspecting an autograph in person. I do not recommend going to the expense of sending this piece to me for further evaluation. While a piece that looks good in a photo sometimes looks worse in person, the reverse is not true. A signature that is clearly bad in a photograph never looks better upon closer scrutiny.
Lastly, a word about myself. I have specialized in Walt Disney's autograph habits for 20 years. I have served as the Walt Disney autograph consultant for Sotheby's animation auctions in New York and Christie's South Kensington in London. I maintain a good, information-sharing relationship with the Walt Disney Studio Archives, and I am the only autograph dealer specializing in Walt Disney autographed items. My reference files of copies of authentic, forged, and secretarial Disney material is extensive. I have assembled a database tracking the evolution of Walt Disney's autograph virtually year-by-year, from the 1920's to his death in 1966. I am contributor to the Walt Disney Family Museum and I am a longtime member in good standing of the Manuscript Society and U.A.C.C., two groups dedicated to the betterment of the autograph collecting field.
Sincerely,
Phil Sears

WOW! That is getting your $35 worth. Never interacted with Phil Sears, but that's what I would like to see when I am not a SME and paying someone for their opinion before I drop $1000+ on an autograph.

jgmp123
01-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Yeah...He definitely covers all the bases!

packs
01-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Wow. Really nice response.

Big Dave
01-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Yes, a lot better then that same old generic garbage that PSA and JSA put on EVERY letter that explains absolutely nothing in regard to why the autograph may not be authentic. This would well be worth the fee charged.