PDA

View Full Version : What good card shows are coming up in 2014?

Buythatcard
01-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Well, its a new year. So, what card shows do you recommend attending this year?

No need to mention the National or Philly shows since those are always on my list.

Each year there seems to be less and less. I wonder whether any new ones might pop up this year.

g_vezina_c55
01-06-2014, 03:29 PM
my suggestion

boston shriners show

Buythatcard
01-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Shriners. Attended last year for the first time and loved it.

vintagetoppsguy
01-06-2014, 03:33 PM
TriStar show in Houston later this month. They always have one in January and one in June, and the January one is usually the better of the two.

g_vezina_c55
01-06-2014, 03:42 PM
OK
On my side i was present at the 2 last shriners show and really enjoy the trip and the show and meet every dealer and Net54 member.

But for the next show in march due to some health issue i will not be present.

Danny Smith
01-06-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm going to try the Houston show for the first time this month. Chicago shows and the national are shows that I won't miss. I always enjoy the chantilly shows but they are a little light on pre-war.

bcbgcbrcb
01-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Only one, the National........

Lgarza99
01-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Anything on the west coast?

stewbacca
01-06-2014, 10:17 PM
SF Tristar show April 25-27. Also, Mark Mcrae runs a couple of vintage shows in the Bay Area. Maybe he can give info and dates.

Rich Klein
01-07-2014, 07:37 AM
I won't say it's going to be a "good" show but I will say that we'll have fun with this.

And I'll post till I'm blue in the face

I got my temple (Adat Chaverimm in Plano TX) to run a show on March 9th. $25 tables, $1 suggested donations, confirmation of door prizes from Panini, Topps and Local Shows (we do have a proposed flyer but we're fixing some verbiage), free parking and refeshments available.

About 15-20 tables remain as of this morning.

Rich

Griffins
01-07-2014, 08:42 AM
The next Culver City show is in May.

oaks1912
01-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Paul...Thanks for your plug. The dates for 2014 at St Leanders are June 21 and November 22.....For Washington residents, the WSSCA shows are in June and November. For So Cal, May and October (Anthony, Adam or Jason can advise of the dates)... Rich, good luck with your show. Getting a good selection of dealers is more important than quantity of tables. Too many of the 100 table + shows are disappointing....The National is probably the exception... and don't forget Cooperstown on Induction weekend, small but a better selection of vintage material than all of their shops combined....

Rich Klein
01-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Our goal is 20-25 tables and I already know with the eight we have commitments to set up, there will be good selection. I'm including me in that mix but I also know who else has commitmed. And with our low table prices, I'm actually OK (and wish) to have one or two of those 1st timers who have good collector based items and would love the experience of being behind a table.

Once I get the flyer, I can send to the local newspapers for their "community events" sites. The Dallas Morning News has a "go' section for my local area than runs on Fridays and the Plano Star Courier is always looking for stories to run. If I can send them reasonably decently written copy, may even get extra pub that way. Plus I will be aggressive in posting on these news groups. Posting takes so little time for the effort. We are listed in the Beckett calendar and I think we got the listing in enough time to be in their magazines.

The best aspect is my goal for our men's club (non-proift group) is a modest $500 profit which means I'm not shooting for any moon so any amount above that is a benefit. THAT number I think we can hit without much effort.

And if we hit that number, my goal is to go 2-3 times a years but no more. I don't want to go monthy, plus I can not always get the room each month. I think one during spring break and one around labor day weekend (give or take) is the game plan which works going forward.

Plus, everyone on our men's club board loves the fact that other than a few things DURING the show weekend (Room Set up) and manning the floor and desk during the show and clean up, they have to do almost no heavy lifting. They all figure I have the expertise and we'll go from there.

And of course, although we have commitments for door prizes from the major manufacturers, I'm always looking for more. Leon, How about a few net 54 shirts :) (J/K)

Mark; If I'm missing anything -- please free to post or PM me. I'm OK with any and all help I can get :)

Rich

dabigyankeeman
01-07-2014, 10:30 AM
They need to hold a Winter National Show in south Florida. Wouldnt the dealers all around the country love to get out of the cold and come to 70-80 degree weather in the winter?

And see girls wearing bikini's (and less) on South Beach!!

Hot Springs Bathers
01-07-2014, 02:52 PM
I can't believe that once again the National if the exact same dates as the annual SABR convention!

Rich Klein
01-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Mike"

I hate when that happens

Buythatcard
01-07-2014, 08:58 PM
What is a SABR convention?:confused::confused:

Jewish-collector
01-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Isn't SABR the Baseball research convention ? They should have it in the same city the same week of the National, so you could attend both....

bwbc917
01-09-2014, 07:25 AM
The card national shows have a limited number of sites. SABR goes to a different city every year. I agree it would be nice if the 2 events did not coincide. This year SABR is in Houston and the National is in Cleveland. I'm in Ohio the choice is a no brainer for me.

Hot Springs Bathers
01-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Having them both in the same city would be the ultimate week for a baseball geek. I would fall into that category!

Rich we might need counseling after preparing our agendas for the week!

Leon
01-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Scott B and myself will be attending the Tri-Star show in Houston later this month. We will be at the show mostly as collectors, however we will be there to pick up consignments for our nearing (Feb 24-Mar 8) Brockelman & Luckey auction too. Scott will be there Friday and I will be walking the floor Friday and Saturday.. looking for type cards I can't live without!! ... would love to meet any Net54baseball guys while there.

E93
01-09-2014, 05:33 PM
The next Culver City show is in May.

+1
JimB

basesareempty
01-10-2014, 08:08 AM
We are proud to announce that we will be starting a monthly sports card and memorabilia show at the Deale Elks Lodge in Deale Maryland. Deale is located about 15 miles East of Washington DC in Anne Arundel County.OUR first show will be on Saturday February 22, 2014 from 9-3. We are hoping to start with 30+ dealer tables and expand from there. We will have a nice mix of dealers with a wide assortment of items. We will be bringing in a monthly autograph guest and our first guest will be Washington Redskins Great Mike Nelms. Mike will be appearing from 12-1 and will be $10 any item with 1 free inscription.

We are looking for dealers to set up at these shows. PM me if interested.

Thank You,
Bob Lamb/ Bases Are Empty

Deale Elks Lodge
6022 Drum Point Road
Deale, Md 20751

Exhibitman
01-10-2014, 11:29 PM
We've tentatively set May 3 for the next Culver City show. More to follow soon.