PDA

View Full Version : Building 1975 Topps Set....Again

Jayworld
01-05-2014, 01:04 PM
I have started to build the 1975 Topps set after many years. I collected it while growing up and finally accumulated 528 cards of the set (along with the Brett and Yount, which I got in packs back in 1975), then I lost interest, and sold them all about four years ago. Now I have started tackling it again and have about 320 cards so far; mostly commons, so I have quite a bit left to go. Should be fun, and this time, I WILL complete the set, so I will have Topps sets from 1975-79 (mainly the years I collected as a kid).

Beatles Guy
01-05-2014, 01:19 PM
I have a few '75s to trade if you have a list. Would be looking for other '75s that I need.

frankhardy
01-05-2014, 01:45 PM
What condition are you looking to build the set in?

Samsdaddy
01-05-2014, 02:18 PM
I am not a set builder when it comes to baseball BUT the 1975 set is the one set from the 70's that I think I will eventually pursue as well.

It was the first set I collected as a kid and my favorite of the decade. I only have a handful myself.

It will be fun Jay. Good luck!

Harliduck
01-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Good luck with the set!

Are you going for the mini's or standard? I grew up in Seattle area, and really don't know the distribution facts on the 75s, but all I saw as a kid was mini's. It took years for me to see my first standard card and it was strange. I ended up buying the set in standard last year whole, and I honestly don't like it. I plan on doing it in mini...

Does anyone know the facts around distribution in 75? Again, only saw mini's in the PNW...

AndyG09
01-05-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm pretty sure they were distributed on the West coast and in Michigan. I just started putting together the regular set as well. I was born in 75 and have always had a liking for them. Good luck on your set!

Best,

Andy

brob28
01-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Hi John & Andy,

I have always heard Michigan and California also, but I'm not too sure of that. I grew up in Illinois and got some mini's. I was 6 & the only cards I got were from my Mom & Dad buying them for me at the local Jewel grocery store. I'm sure these could have made their way to the local Jewel store in a round about way, but I'd guess Illinois was in the distribution area.

I love the set, it's the first one I really remember form my childhood. I've put together a mini and regular set, and love them both. My favorite childhood card (Dick Allen) is in the set - it's a big sentimental set for me.

If you are interested I have a set article in pdf format from SCD that's pretty interesting - just get me your email and I'll forward it. It's too big to upload here.

Cheers,

Samsdaddy
01-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Hi John & Andy,

I have always heard Michigan and California also, but I'm not too sure of that. I grew up in Illinois and got some mini's. I was 6 & the only cards I got were from my Mom & Dad buying them for me at the local Jewel grocery store. I'm sure these could have made their way to the local Jewel store in a round about way, but I'd guess Illinois was in the distribution area.

I love the set, it's the first one I really remember form my childhood. I've put together a mini and regular set, and love them both. My favorite childhood card (Dick Allen) is in the set - it's a big sentimental set for me.

If you are interested I have a set article in pdf format from SCD that's pretty interesting - just get me your email and I'll forward it. It's too big to upload here.

Cheers,

Hey Bill, I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago in the 70s but never saw the mini's.

And, like you, the Dick Allen card is one of my all time favorite cards. I traded Hank Aaron's card straight up for it back that summer of '75. I remember it like it was yesterday.

brob28
01-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Erik, in all honestly, can't remember where I got mine, maybe an uncle who traveled or my Dad - he may have been in Michigan in '75 as we moved there in '77 for a job offer he accepted. but I do know I got them in '75 when I lived in a Arlington Heights.

I still love that Dick Allen card still today. Interesting story about the Aaron card because I got mine (Aaron) by trading my neighbor for a '77 Brett he was dying to get. I thought I was getting the deal of the century as the Aaron was a whole 2 years older which to me at 8 yrs old was a long, long time.

Cheers,

Samsdaddy
01-05-2014, 06:54 PM
One of the cool things about the Dick Allen card is he is wearing his batting helmet in the field. Top it off with the All-Star designation and the colors of the card, it is still one of my favorites to this day as well.

The only bad thing about the card is when you turn it over and it states he was traded to the Atlanta Braves. That bummed me out as an 8 year old kid back in the day.

brob28
01-06-2014, 06:12 AM
One of the cool things about the Dick Allen card is he is wearing his batting helmet in the field. Top it off with the All-Star designation and the colors of the card, it is still one of my favorites to this day as well.

The only bad thing about the card is when you turn it over and it states he was traded to the Atlanta Braves. That bummed me out as an 8 year old kid back in the day.

I can't agree more both the positives and negatives of the card. It took until the Big Hurt came along for the Sox to have another offensive player like that.

Jayworld
01-06-2014, 06:21 AM
What condition are you looking to build the set in?

I'm looking to build the set VG-EX. Unfortunately I have no duplicates to trade as of yet, as I just started to rebuild the set. Funny in that I purchased a lot of 250 different commons in VG+ condition, but I would grade them VG- with a few EX mixed in, and then I bought 50 different from another seller who listed them as VG, but they all were EX+.

I'll all for paying VG prices for EX-MT cards.;)

I'm only collecting the "regular" sized cards, not the minis.

Jayworld
01-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Good luck with the set!

Are you going for the mini's or standard? I grew up in Seattle area, and really don't know the distribution facts on the 75s, but all I saw as a kid was mini's. It took years for me to see my first standard card and it was strange. I ended up buying the set in standard last year whole, and I honestly don't like it. I plan on doing it in mini...

Does anyone know the facts around distribution in 75? Again, only saw mini's in the PNW...

John:
I'm in Texas, and I only saw the regular sized cards in packages here in 1975, yet I used to trade with a friend as kids, and he had a few minis, so they must have been distributed in some form here in Texas....

brob28
01-06-2014, 06:38 AM
Jay if you have a list of what you need I might be able to help you out.

Samsdaddy
01-06-2014, 08:08 AM
Jay, I might be able to help out as well with a few as well if you have a list. I don't have much but would be happy to help if I can.

Jayworld
01-14-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks guys for all the help so far; I now have approximately 340+ (mostly commons). Time to go to the local hobby shop and get a 660 count box to store them, as I don't want to put them in sheets until I have the set near done or done. I really like the World Series cards and AL/NL championship cards too. I had most of them as a kid and enjoyed looking at the colorful Oakland A's featured on the World Series card.

Samsdaddy
01-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys for all the help so far; I now have approximately 340+ (mostly commons). Time to go to the local hobby shop and get a 660 count box to store them, as I don't want to put them in sheets until I have the set near done or done. I really like the World Series cards and AL/NL championship cards too. I had most of them as a kid and enjoyed looking at the colorful Oakland A's featured on the World Series card.

Even though the ChiSox and the Cubs were my top two teams, I knew the A's were the best and I liked their colorful uniforms and even more colorful players.

71buc
01-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Good luck with the set!

I grew up in Tacoma. I too only saw minis that summer. I loved the Reggie and Seaver cards in that set.

Jayworld
02-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Thanks for everyone's help on the 1975 set project (and you know who you are). I now have 468 cards out of the set, and less than 200 to go. I have all the World Series cards (missing on the NL Championship) and several of the MVP cards. Working now on the semi-stars/stars cards and the few commons left in my list (some team checklists, regular checklists, etc.). Probably will pick up a RC Yount in the VG-EX range, which is the range of my set so far. Such a fun project!

MattyC
02-12-2014, 12:27 PM
I spent several years building an all-mint graded mini set, with as many stars in 10 as possible. Had the Brett and Yount in 10, as well as Aaron 660 and 1, Bench, a couple others. Was a real joy to hunt down accurately graded examples. And some passionate collectors into the minis, too. Good group of guys. After taking it to the max and realizing the only upgrades available were commons, sold it all off and used the proceeds to begin my singles collection, which was how I collected as a kid. I still have a 75 mini set in a binder that I look through about once a month. My favorite set ever.

MattyC
02-12-2014, 12:27 PM
I spent several years building an all-mint graded mini set, with as many stars in 10 as possible. Had the Brett and Yount in 10, as well as Aaron 660 and 1, Bench, a couple others. Was a real joy to hunt down accurately graded examples. And some passionate collectors into the minis, too. Good group of guys. After taking it to the max and realizing the only upgrades available were commons, sold it all off and used the proceeds to begin my singles collection, which was how I collected as a kid. I still have a 75 mini set in a binder that I look through about once a month. My favorite set ever.

ALR-bishop
02-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Heavenly Light Variation :)

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img623_zps79302c5e.jpg

Lueth2048
02-12-2014, 03:30 PM
My neighborhood outside of Cleveland was flooded with minis when two kids from California spent a month visiting their cousin, who lived on my street.

Samsdaddy
02-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks for everyone's help on the 1975 set project (and you know who you are). I now have 468 cards out of the set, and less than 200 to go. I have all the World Series cards (missing on the NL Championship) and several of the MVP cards. Working now on the semi-stars/stars cards and the few commons left in my list (some team checklists, regular checklists, etc.). Probably will pick up a RC Yount in the VG-EX range, which is the range of my set so far. Such a fun project!

Awesome Jay. Please continue to keep us posted on your progress in completing this classic set.

Jayworld
02-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Awesome Jay. Please continue to keep us posted on your progress in completing this classic set.

Erik:
I now have 500 of the 660 and counting. Missing a few "commons" and mostly semi-stars and stars now. Will be attending Rich Klein's local show in March; hope to pick up more singles at that show.

Thanks to Samsdaddy, brob28, jhs5120, Eric1977 for the help thus far….

Samsdaddy
02-22-2014, 05:44 AM
Erick:
I now have 500 of the 660 and counting. Missing a few "commons" and mostly semi-stars and stars now. Will be attending Rich Klein's local show in March; hope to pick up more singles at that show.

Thanks to Samsdaddy, brob28, jhs5120, Eric1977 for the help thus far….

Sweet Jay. I keep saying there is not a finer 1970's set than what you are collecting there. Of course, I am biased as that was the first year I started collecting. :D

Let's hope all goes well at Rich Klein's show in March for ya.

Jayworld
02-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Thanks, I think I will have good luck. If a certain local dealer is there, I'll pick up another 30-40 singles….

I guess we are all partial to the set that we first started collecting. Although I first starting collecting by buying a few 1975 Topps back in the day, I did not acquire very many (perhaps 4-5 packs), but began collection 1976 more diligently and then 1977 was the first set I completely put together from packs.

Rich Klein
02-24-2014, 10:18 AM
You might want to visit me as well on the 9th. I have a nice selection of 75's :)

Rich

Jayworld
04-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks to Rich (at his show), four others on the board, and website just commons.com, I now have 579 cards in the set and closing fast. I appreciate all the help so far! Will be posting soon in the B/S/T section, as I wish to trade some of my T206 cards for 1975 cards I need….

mattsedate
04-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Good luck and have fun doing it.

Jayworld
09-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Well, as a follow-up, as of today, I have COMPLETED the 1975 Topps Baseball set. It took approx. 8 1/2 months, buying on eBay, local card shows (thanks Rich), and purchasing and/or trading with several of you all. Total cost of my set was less than $225 for a set that would average VG+. I would say, off the top of my head, that over 1/2 the set is near-mint, and the rest VG-EX or so.

The last card I needed and purchased today was card #195 (MVP Mantle/Aaron).

Thank you all for the help in this endeavor that started (and got sidetracked) almost 40 years ago. I now have complete Topps sets from 1975-79. Next up, maybe Topps 1980 or working more on my 1951 or 1952 Bowmans. I sold off my 1974 Topps complete set over a year ago, and really don't miss it, so I don't think I'll collect Topps sets any earlier than 1975....

Davino
09-16-2014, 12:08 PM
congrats on finishing the set!