PDA

View Full Version : Big Mac 98 Bat

MVSNYC
01-05-2014, 09:29 AM
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=74151&searchby=3&searchvalue=mcgwire&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=1&seo=1998-Mark-McGwire-St.-Louis-Cardinals-Signed-Rawlings-Professional-Model-Game-Used-Bat-(MEARS-LOA%2fJS

Pretty strong price. Seems like his 98 bats have been going for around $1100-1300. does his sig add that much more to the value, or are his bats gaining steam again?

yanks12025
01-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm surprised how low the munson rookie sold for and also the double yankee stadium seats.

MVSNYC
01-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Any thoughts on the Mac Bat?

MGHPro
01-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Seems high but it does have strong use.

bnorth
01-05-2014, 05:52 PM
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=74151&searchby=3&searchvalue=mcgwire&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=1&seo=1998-Mark-McGwire-St.-Louis-Cardinals-Signed-Rawlings-Professional-Model-Game-Used-Bat-(MEARS-LOA%2fJS

Pretty strong price. Seems like his 98 bats have been going for around $1100-1300. does his sig add that much more to the value, or are his bats gaining steam again?

He is a tough signature. I think I read on the Bo board he is going to be signing for Topps next year. If he signs a ton of cards his prices will fall.
Hopefully a current player did not buy it, just touching a McGwire bat would make you flunk a pee test for roids.

UnVme7
01-05-2014, 05:55 PM
I believe his signature, especially on a gamer of his from the 98 season, helps with the bats authenticity.

So in my opinion, it's not so much the signature that brought the price, it's what the signature did to help its authenticity that brought that amount of money.

But still, that's more than his bats go for, for the time being...

MVSNYC
01-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys. I also agree that the (great) use adds to the value here too.

mcgwirecom
01-07-2014, 03:52 PM
I've collected Mac for many years. I have noticed that he didn't sign a ton of the REAL gamers. When I say real I mean the ones that were actually used in a game. For instance in 1998 he ordered over 260 bats I was told. He obviously didn't use that many. Most were lightly tarred and used maybe in BP and given away as gifts. The real gamers tend to be heavily tarred. So they usually carry a premium. That being said, its possible for someone to get a non used bat and put some extra tar and use on themselves so be careful. There are tons of pictures of Mac from 1998 so I like to try and photo match 1998 gamers. I think in the past several years I was only able to positively identify one real 1998 gamer. I do not own one myself but if I ever see a real one I may throw a bid on it. I do however own a 1998 game bat with no use and it is signed. It's way easier to find one of those.

As for McGwire game bats in general, his prices tend to be fairly good compared to some other fallen heros. there are a few Mac collectors still around.

MVSNYC
01-07-2014, 08:22 PM
I've owned 3 of them, 2 PSA/DNA 8's, and this 8.5 that i currently own. excellent use, acquired from John Taube. I remember John saying that his bats from '98 exhibit various degrees of use, with ones from later in the season having more pine tar, I believe. On Getty Images, you can see him holding a variety of bats throughout the season.

I'd love to somehow get him to sign this, maybe via a show or something.