PDA

View Full Version : Another New Member

RTK
01-04-2014, 08:35 AM
...watching the World Junior Hockey Tournament as I write :)

My name is Rick, I live in northern Illinois. I can't say I'm a huge collector, I still have my old baseball cards from my childhood days back in the 60's & early 70's before it became a business. I do have seats from Wrigley (2) and Comiskey, I'm a Cubs fan and cherish my time at the ballpark. I finished off the basement to house my stuff; a couple of signed replica vintage jerseys, lithographs, old framed scorecards and B/W photos, some signed and some not, some of which hang on a Wrigley like brick wall. I'm also interested in Formula 1 racing and vintage Indy racing. I've spent many days at tracks taking photos and watching racing. What I cherish the most are my memories of the ballparks (Wrigley & Comiskey) going with my dad and grandpa, Chicago Stadium, playing ball all day long in my neighborhood growing up and trading cards on the front steps.

One thing I'm especially interested in is baseball in New York back in the 40's and 50's, Ebbetts Field and the Polo Grounds. I wish I could have experienced what it was like back then. What brought me to this site was my search for information on Ebbetts Field seats.

Thanks, Rick

SmokyBurgess
01-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Welcome aboard

ethicsprof
01-04-2014, 10:21 AM
welcome aboard the board!!!

all the best,
barry

gregr2
01-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Welcome to net54 Rick!

Leon
01-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Welcome Rick. That's pretty cool you have your cards from your childhood. A lot of us only wish we still had them!!

CW
01-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Welcome, Rick! It's always nice to see new members on board. I grew up in the Detroit area, so most of my games were spent at Tiger Stadium, but years ago a few work buddies and I traveled to see the Tigers play the Cubs during the first year of interleague play at Wrigley Field. I loved how it was nestled right in a neighborhood, and I also appreciated the absence of any distracting advertising signs within the stadium -- just a pure ballpark. Great hot dogs, too!

BTW, you might have seen this already, but if not check out this amazing Ebbets Field model by Steve Wolf. (http://blog.robertedwardauctions.com/?p=740)

mrvster
01-04-2014, 12:50 PM
your going to love it here

peace

Johnny

EvilKing00
01-04-2014, 12:56 PM
welcome, I have cards from when I was a kid too, BUT that was in the 80's so not much value there, lol - but a lot of memories!

the 'stache
01-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the forum, Rick!

RTK
01-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Welcome, Rick! It's always nice to see new members on board. I grew up in the Detroit area, so most of my games were spent at Tiger Stadium, but years ago a few work buddies and I traveled to see the Tigers play the Cubs during the first year of interleague play at Wrigley Field. I loved how it was nestled right in a neighborhood, and I also appreciated the absence of any distracting advertising signs within the stadium -- just a pure ballpark. Great hot dogs, too!

BTW, you might have seen this already, but if not check out this amazing Ebbets Field model by Steve Wolf. (http://blog.robertedwardauctions.com/?p=740)

I regret never having gone to old Tiger stadium. I did get to see the '68 team play at Comiskey with Mc Clain pitching. The model of old Ebbetts is incredible. How cool would that be to own?

sportzjunky
01-05-2014, 09:49 AM
From one newbie to another... welcome! This is a great group one day I hope I can help someone I've already been helped multiple times by GREAT people on this board.