PDA

View Full Version : update- Scammer alert- Scott Norris, Scott Allen,T206whiteborders, Shoeboxlegends

Leon
01-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Yesterday a member tipped me off to someone selling a '52 Mantle, on the board, who also said he had more just laying around. So I called the person, "Scott Norris" and didn't leave a message. I sent him an email saying we need to chat. He had only registered a few days ago and hasn't even posted yet. He never emailed back. Then I saw he had been on the board SINCE I emailed him so I banned him. Again, no contact. I was just now alerted to another potential '52 Topps issue, one being sold on the board. So, I pulled up the registration and lo and behold, the email address said Scott Norris but the message he told me used another name. So now he is banned too......anyone dealing with this person should be really careful.

I like to put scammers in the spotlight as much as possible and here are the registrations......Since there is about a 1 in a million chance I am wrong, I will say this is all alleged on my part......

"-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2013 3:51 AM
To: leon@net54baseball.com
Subject: net54 membership

Hello Leon, I hope you find it fitting for me to become a member of the forum. My net 54 user id is t206whiteborders, my name is Scott Allen and my telephone number is 1-216-355-xxxx. I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks again, Scott"

"From: Scott Norris [mailto:shoeboxlegends@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 2:14 PM
To: leon@net54baseball.com
Subject: Net54

Hello Leon, Im responding to your link regarding signing up to net54 forum. My user id is shoeboxlegends, my name is Scott Norris, and my telephone number is 1-216-931-xxxx. Hope you'll allow me to join your forum and learn more about the hobby I love so much. Thanks again, Scott
Scott Norris
shoeboxlegends@aol.com"

And here is a thread with him trying to scam someone..I believe

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181017

AndyG09
01-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Well done, Leon. Keep up the good work!

Best,

Andy

gregr2
01-02-2014, 08:23 AM
Thanks Leon! We all appreciate everything you do to make this hobby safer!

01-02-2014, 08:26 AM
How moronic is it that this scammer would create two similar Net54 user IDs with the same first name and area code for each!

Thank you Leon for making this board the best place to discuss, buy, sell and trade vintage baseball cards.

chipperhank44
01-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Yes, thank you Leon! Your hands on approach as a forum owner is much appreciated.

Leon
01-02-2014, 08:45 AM
How moronic is it that this scammer would create two similar Net54 user IDs with the same first name and area code for each!

Thank you Leon for making this board the best place to discuss, buy, sell and trade vintage baseball cards.

No one said criminals are smart :). What is also quite funny to me is that if you look at the link at the bottom of the first post, you will see the email that t206whiteborders gave, it's the shoeboxlegends@aol email address of the guy that only registered a few days ago. They both have the SAME email address.......

Ya'll please keep alerting me to these things and we will flush them out as they try their games.

pawpawdiv9
01-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Thanks Leon...i am trying to get one off on Ebay. Theres clear frosting on the holder and they said they got it from Ebay earlier in the year, but i see no records of it. And theres no returns. Beware!!
- thebeautifulpeople24
PSA certif # 20240668
Item location:
Woodbury, New Jersey, United States
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231125258648?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180542&page=4

vintagetoppsguy
01-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Eidted based on Leon's post (#12)

rjackson44
01-02-2014, 09:15 AM
good job mr leon right on the money :)

sycks22
01-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Well played Leon

wazoo
01-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Delete

Leon
01-02-2014, 09:47 AM
I just got a call from Scott Norris. I am told that this is a father - son situation that went a bit awry. The father and son have different last names but the same first name.. The son is the one that didn't get back with me. The dad, wanting to keep his son in the loop, used his son's email address last night. But I just confirmed a lot of information and feel comfortable now in letting both back on the board. There are 2 Mantles, one graded and one not graded. The non-graded one is being sold raw and is guaranteed to grade numerically, I am told. So after about a 20 minute phone call with the Dad apologizing for his son, I think we are good to go. It is still caveat emptor, as always, so please be careful.

PS....for safety on this deal, I will be happy to be an intermediary for shipping the card and money.....if anyone wants to do the deal that way, I will help.....

01-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Did the dad write both emails for both users? Those emails both use the same phrasing.

Leon
01-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Did the dad write both emails for both users? Those emails both use the same phrasing.

That didn't go unnoticed. I am still not 100% sure of this whole fiasco. That being said I had him on speaker phone, with my wife listening too, and every question I threw at him, he answered without hesitation and with an answer that is plausible. My wife said she thought he sounded legit. Like I say, I just report it as I see it. Everyone always needs to be careful in transactions, regardless of my or anyone's intervention or involvement.

Donscards
01-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks Leon...i am trying to get one off on Ebay. Theres clear frosting on the holder and they said they got it from Ebay earlier in the year, but i see no records of it. And theres no returns. Beware!!
- thebeautifulpeople24
PSA certif # 20240668
Item location:
Woodbury, New Jersey, United States
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231125258648?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180542&page=4

Hi Chris do u feel the Mantle on ebay is ok---holder looks ok to me---I know he stated no returns, but on high end cards, many sellers do the same. I am high bidder right now, but u have me wondering. thanks, Don

t206whiteborders
01-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Thanks Leon, Sorry for the miscommunication concerning my son and his acct. Im glad we spoke and worked everything out. This is a great forum and even though this whole mess was resolved, im glad you acted the way you did. Communication goes along way.

pawpawdiv9
01-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Hi Chris do u feel the Mantle on ebay is ok---holder looks ok to me---I know he stated no returns, but on high end cards, many sellers do the same. I am high bidder right now, but u have me wondering. thanks, Don

as pointed out by another member here..theres clear evidence of frosting on the top left and side.
I contacted them 2x's.
1. they bought it on Ebay earlier this year--- yet i not seen it in the completed listings.
2. the certif # is correct...but fakes do as well
3. no returns
4. wonder if the 0's in the certif # look right? maybe just me on that one.
I have yet to really look at any flaws on the card yet..just when we see frosting--i be careful.
** We just suspect the holder, havent looked at the card in detail (nothing may be wrong there)

Donscards
01-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys for the insight---I am going to check VCP to see if the card was sold on ebay previously---If I dont see it on VCP, I most likely will retract my bid. Don

Sean1125
01-02-2014, 03:13 PM
as pointed out by another member here..theres clear evidence of frosting on the top left and side.
I contacted them 2x's.
1. they bought it on Ebay earlier this year--- yet i not seen it in the completed listings.
2. the certif # is correct...but fakes do as well
3. no returns
4. wonder if the 0's in the certif # look right? maybe just me on that one.
I have yet to really look at any flaws on the card yet..just when we see frosting--i be careful.
** We just suspect the holder, havent looked at the card in detail (nothing may be wrong there)

This card and holder are authentic.

DerekMichael
01-02-2014, 05:13 PM
I just gotta say, I love Leon's dedication in keeping his members safe. He really cares about this board a lot. It is appreciated.

He is the Godfather :)

thehoodedcoder
01-02-2014, 07:14 PM
he is the same guy that was selling the doyle ny national hands above head error that said it was geniune and he got a call from SGC but they wouldn't slab it.

he is also a pedophile. there is a thread about that on here with a link to him registered as a sex offender, with a picture of him.

kevin

Forever Young
01-02-2014, 07:19 PM
The net54 posse

Leon
01-02-2014, 07:22 PM
he is the same guy that was selling the doyle ny national hands above head error that said it was geniune and he got a call from SGC but they wouldn't slab it.

he is also a pedophile. there is a thread about that on here with a link to him registered as a sex offender, with a picture of him.

kevin

I vaguely remember that. Can you supply a link please?

thehoodedcoder
01-02-2014, 07:22 PM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=168553

he claims in here he saw the card on ebay, but he was the one selling it on ebay.

post 11, on the top of the second page says it all.

kevin

Cardboard Junkie
01-02-2014, 07:26 PM
I can't resist.:o Dave.

vintagetoppsguy
01-02-2014, 07:32 PM

kevin

I thought that was him. I originally posted the same thing in post #8, but I edited it out after Leon talked to him in case it wasn't the same guy.

Here it is...

http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/OH1556514/Scott-Allen-Norris.html

Leon
01-02-2014, 08:00 PM

he claims in here he saw the card on ebay, but he was the one selling it on ebay.

kevin

Thanks Kevin.

Guys- I hate to keep waffling on this but the fact is, from reading the previous thread, Scott Norris was still banned under a different alias. Also, the Scott Norris who is the "dad" registered with a birth date exactly 1 month different than the sex offender. Same year, same day.....just one month a part. I don't like this whole thing and think Scott and his son, if that is true info, need to find another forum. They won't be on this one anymore. He was already banned before anyway. Plus some communications in the last few hours don't give me a warm fuzzy either.

Lastly, thanks to the folks who PM me, or one of the other mods, about issues on the board.

gregr2
01-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Leon - given all this mess, you did the right thing!

01-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Right decision IMO.

frankbmd
01-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks Kevin.

Guys- I hate to keep waffling on this but the fact is, from reading the previous thread, Scott Norris was still banned under a different alias. Also, the Scott Norris who is the "dad" registered with a birth date exactly 1 month different than the sex offender. Same year, same day.....just one month a part. I don't like this whole thing and think Scott and his son, if that is true info, need to find another forum. They won't be on this one anymore. He was already banned before anyway. Plus some communications in the last few hours don't give me a warm fuzzy either.

Lastly, thanks to the folks who PM me, or one of the other mods, about issues on the board.

We're with you Leon. The good waffles stick together.

itjclarke
01-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Thank you for the due dilligence Leon/N54... I've always wanted a '52 Mantle, but things like this continue to make me hesitant.:eek:

bn2cardz
01-02-2014, 08:54 PM

kevin

In that thread post 11 is a link to this thread:

Where I found this quote:
Seller's only other feedback is a '52 Mantle Reprint he bought in March. Must be his next work in progress.
He questions fake cards from seller's with low feedback - all in Cleveland. All of his posts are about possible fakes.
Hmmm.

So someone had predicted this card being for sale 8 months ago...

Blunder19
01-02-2014, 09:52 PM
I would like to mention that I was contacted by this guy Scott Norris claiming to have a raw Ty Cobb T206 with Red Hindu Back.. asking only $8K...

first claimed to have sold it.. but then came back and said the buyer backed out and it was still for sale.. the whole thing was very odd.. and I backed up and stayed away..

52 topps mantle.. cobb red hindu.. doyle Natl... big cards for a guy noone has heard of.. and all raw?

the writing is on the wall.

atx840
01-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Good call Jamie, too good to be true. Here are the scans he is using.

snorris4498@gmail.com

http://i.imgur.com/ZlUUXA8.jpg

sycks22
01-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Good call Jamie, too good to be true. Here are the scans he is using.

snorris4498@gmail.com

http://i.imgur.com/ZlUUXA8.jpg

Love how the card with the back scan is bigger than the front of the Cobb. At least have the same length.

the 'stache
01-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Leon, I can't thank you, our mods, and the other members of the forum (like Kevin) enough. The work you guys do behind the scenes to make sure that this forum stays as safe as possible is remarkable.

wcsportscards
01-06-2014, 11:36 PM
+1 for Leon! This is a great resource. I learned so much about baseball cards and sex offenders today!!

Cobra Kai
01-07-2014, 06:45 AM
Well done!

teetwoohsix
01-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Another one bites the dust :D

Nice work guys. The Cobb/ Red Hindu........wow.

Sincerely, Clayton

insccollectibles
01-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Wow a pedophile and a scammer. What a piece of s__t. I hate that these type of people even exist. Great job Leon as always!