PDA

View Full Version : Careful Middy Bread

danmckee
12-31-2013, 02:32 PM
I think this may be a fake like the 3 I got burned with at a local PA auction a few months back. They had old paper glued to the back and were Fritsch reprints cut out and soaked in coffee to appear old.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-Middy-Bread-Bing-Miller-Original-Baseball-Card-Ungraded-RARE-LOOK-/301056017487?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item461856444f

Leon
12-31-2013, 02:53 PM
I also think it's bad. Nice catch Dan. That little "Printed in USA" caption in the lower left should be sharp. The scan is too small but I bet in person it looks blurry...

http://luckeycards.com/pduncmiddybread1920s2x.jpg

Brian Van Horn
12-31-2013, 04:39 PM
I advised the seller, after he advised me of the length in centimeters of the card, that the average standing card is four inches in length. His came out to 2 and 61⁄64 inches and when advised his card was a reprint, he stated he "cant confirm or deny that" and that the cards were not his. He is selling them on behalf of his father.

danmckee
01-01-2014, 01:56 PM
I advised the seller, after he advised me of the length in centimeters of the card, that the average standing card is four inches in length. His came out to 2 and 61⁄64 inches and when advised his card was a reprint, he stated he "cant confirm or deny that" and that the cards were not his. He is selling them on behalf of his father.

Interesting Brian, I inquired about the size and he never wrote me back.
I guess me asking if he was the one that consigned 3 to a local PA auction may have killed my chance for a response!

Dan

h2oya311
01-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on the authenticity (or lack thereof) of this card. Great work, as always!!

cardsfan73
01-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Very sketchy.. Check out the listing they have for a lot of 35 1955 Bowmans.. Then check the feedback he received for already selling the exact same lot with the exact same photo. The listing for the Bowmans ended on 12/28 & the "buyer" left feedback on 1/1/14. That's pretty quick shipping and we will ignore the fact that the "buyer" has a 72% bid history with this seller.

buymycards
01-01-2014, 05:10 PM
The same guy "won" the Middy Bread and the Bowmans on the same day and now they are both up for sale again.

Sounds fishy.

buymycards
01-02-2014, 04:49 PM
The Maris card was sold last night to the guy with a 492 feedback. It was relisted today. I asked the seller why it was relisted and he said the buyer couldn't pay for it. The same guy won the Maris card again today. He also couldn't pay for the 55 Bowman lot last night because that was relisted.

This same buyer won the Middy Bread card last night. Apparently he couldn't pay for this card either, because it was relisted today. This buyer did shill the card again today and he bid it up higher than it sold for yesterday and someone else bought it.

Also, if you look at the sellers feedback, it includes positive feedback from the guy with 492 feedback rating. The cards sold yesterday and the buyer (who couldn't pay for these items), already gave positive feedback to the seller.

If you look at a transaction from May, the 492 guy bought a T205 Ty Cobb card for $36 from this seller and the feedback said the card was real.

This seller is a real crook.

cardsfan73
01-02-2014, 05:00 PM
This seller didn't have answer when I asked why a seller who couldn't pay for the cards left him positive feedback saying how great the cards were.. I reported the Middy as a fake to ebay, but of course they did nothing about it.

danmckee
01-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Well he told me the guy that won the 2 lots before couldn't pay for them. Funny thing is the exact same guy was the under bidder again this time at $75!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301056017487?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649