PDA

View Full Version : Mantle / DiMaggio / Williams?? Opinions please!

Westsiders
12-30-2013, 05:38 PM
My father in law gave me a very generous gift for Xmas. It's a great display piece, but I'm not sure about the authenticity. He purchased all the autos from a local card shop (one of the few still in business). He then took them to the local framer and had this nice collage put together. After a few cocktails, he mentioned that he had about $1K into this piece. All the autos came with COA's, but all the COA's were issued by the card shop (convenient). And the photo has a strange golden coloring to it.

My father in law raves about this shop, but is very naïve about the industry. I would hate to see him continue to spend his hard earned money there if they're taking advantage of him. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Big Dave
12-30-2013, 05:58 PM
The autographs on the photo are forgeries. The Mantle on the FDC looks good. Can't see the Williams or DiMaggio FDC autos.

thetruthisoutthere
12-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately, the signatures on the photos are not authentic.

Sorry.

Westsiders
12-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys. The photo seems like a cheap copy (maybe that's why it's turning colors)...and it seemed suspicious that if someone was going to have these three sign a photo, they would use such a cheap version. On that particular COA, it stated that the photo was obtained from the home shopping network.

How about the FDC's...any chance those are good?

thetruthisoutthere
12-30-2013, 06:20 PM
How about the FDC's...any chance those are good?

Those are authentic.

Ever read the book "Operation Bullpen?"

Also, click the link below and read:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/shopping-channels-burned-by-bullpen-forgers/

Mr. Zipper
12-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Fortunately, it's not a total loss. Just swap out the photo for a quality print of the unsigned version and you still have a nice display with 3 good signatures. :)

thetruthisoutthere
12-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Fortunately, it's not a total loss. Just swap out the photo for a quality print of the unsigned version and you still have a nice display with 3 good signatures. :)

Great idea, Mr. Zipper!!!

Westsiders
12-31-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the input guys...really appreciate it. And great idea about swapping out the forgery with a quality, unsigned print. Hardest part is going to be politely telling my father in law to no longer spend his money at this particular card shop. :eek:

Lordstan
12-31-2013, 06:51 AM
Scott,
It's also possible that the card store may be somewhat innocent in this. I'm not relieving them of responsibility, just saying they may not be intentionally selling fake autos. They either may not have that much experience with autos or think that they know more than they do and think that they are real. If this is so, obviously, they should not be selling autos. Hopefully, he hasn't bought that much other signed stuff from them.

While I am no fan of the TPAs, I know many stores/dealers might only accept an item back if one if the big TPAs gives a negative opinion. As a lower cost alternative and if he needs it, you could put the item on ebay with really high price and get a PSA/DNA quick opinion. When it comes back as "Likely Not Genuine," he can use that as an "expert "opinion to try and get his money back.

The envelopes are very nice and it should look great framed with a nice quality print of that photo instead.

Good Luck.
Mark

redalpha7
12-31-2013, 09:13 AM
Hello All

Long time listener, first time caller

I had the same autographed photo. I purchased that photo and many other autographed HOF photos from a well known dealer on the Las Vegas strip.

Fortunately with the help of the San Diego FBI office I was able to get all money back .

I also had a Sandy Koufax autographed baseball with a Stan Sports COA that I was able to get my money back.

thetruthisoutthere
12-31-2013, 09:31 AM
I also had a Sandy Koufax autographed baseball with a Stan Sports COA that I was able to get my money back.

Yep, "Operation Bullpen."

RichardSimon
12-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Hello All

Long time listener, first time caller

I had the same autographed photo. I purchased that photo and many other autographed HOF photos from a well known dealer on the Las Vegas strip.

Fortunately with the help of the San Diego FBI office I was able to get all money back .

Sounds like the FBI was On Top of Old "Smokey"

djson1
12-31-2013, 12:04 PM
I know it's been a long time since the FBI cracked down on this with Operation Bullpen, but is it way too late to try and recover money spent on Stan's Sports autographs and those infamous "J.DiMaggio" COAs?:confused:

Westsiders
12-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Scott,
It's also possible that the card store may be somewhat innocent in this. I'm not relieving them of responsibility, just saying they may not be intentionally selling fake autos. They either may not have that much experience with autos or think that they know more than they do and think that they are real. If this is so, obviously, they should not be selling autos. Hopefully, he hasn't bought that much other signed stuff from them.

While I am no fan of the TPAs, I know many stores/dealers might only accept an item back if one if the big TPAs gives a negative opinion. As a lower cost alternative and if he needs it, you could put the item on ebay with really high price and get a PSA/DNA quick opinion. When it comes back as "Likely Not Genuine," he can use that as an "expert "opinion to try and get his money back.

The envelopes are very nice and it should look great framed with a nice quality print of that photo instead.

Good Luck.
Mark

Normally I would say it is "possible" that the shop owner didn't know it was a forgery, but seems highly unlikely in this case.

About six months ago, my father in law gave me another gift that he obtained
from this same card shop. The gift was a framed poster, supposedly signed by Drysdale and Pee Wee Reese (1984 "Salute to Hall of Famers"). The poster was a stadium give away back in '84, with the autos pre-printed on the poster.

Again, grateful for the piece, so never brought up any doubts to my father in law, even after he told me that the autos were real. He said that the shop owner was going to mail him the COA.

So at Xmas, he gave me an envelope with all of the COA's (8x10, FDC's, etc)...included in the envelope was a COA for the Drysdale/Reese poster. On the COA it states "this certificate unconditionally guarantees the authenticity as hand signed by Drysdale / Reese". Here's a photo... And as you can see, the exact poster (and I mean EXACT) can be picked up on the bay for an Andy Jackson ($20). Sorry for the glare in the photo.

redalpha7
12-31-2013, 12:25 PM
This goes back about 10 years.

I submitted my forgeries to the Court with the sales receipts and I got back all my money ( around $ 1500)

Tom

RichardSimon
12-31-2013, 12:50 PM
I know it's been a long time since the FBI cracked down on this with Operation Bullpen, but is it way too late to try and recover money spent on Stan's Sports autographs and those infamous "J.DiMaggio" COAs?:confused:

Sorry to say, but I am virtually certain you have no chance to get money back now.
I would think that the statute of limitations on these crimes has long ago expired.

djson1
12-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I'm sure you're right about that, Richard.
It's too bad I wasn't following autographs during those years and just got back into the hobby in the past 5 years or so.