PDA

View Full Version : OT: Detroit Lions fire Jim Schwartz

jcmtiger
12-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Detroit Lions fire Jim Schwartz after 5 dismal years. Press conference at 2:00 EST.

Joe

ullmandds
12-30-2013, 11:29 AM
I don't know, Joe...this sounds about as off topic controversial as my george zimmerman post?

oldjudge
12-30-2013, 11:34 AM
They lost to the Giants, at home, in a game that meant everything to them and nothing to the Giants. He should have been fired after that game. The team has a lot of talent. Get them a good coach and they can be a successful playoff team.

itjclarke
12-30-2013, 12:56 PM
I'd mentioned in another thread, but had heard last week the decision had been made to fire the HC and coordinators immediately following that Giants game, but they let them finish the season. Definitely not a surprising decision since they have some of the most talented players in the league. It looks like a great job for the taking.

z28jd
12-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Bill Schwartz played two games for the 1883 Columbus Buckeyes, made two errors at first base in one game and three errors behind the plate in the other. Finished his career in 1884 with the Cincinnati Outlaw Reds.

Bill Schwartz was born in 1884 and played with the 1904 Cleveland Naps, first baseman that hit .151 in 24 games.

Randy Schwartz was a first baseman that hit .167 for the 1965-66 Kansas City A's.

The only three players with the last name Schwartz in major league baseball and all three stunk at first base. Their major league careers were all over by age twenty-two.

One other thing they all have in common. All have more major league at-bats than me :(

Paul S
12-30-2013, 01:27 PM
They lost to the Giants, at home, in a game that meant everything to them and nothing to the Giants. He should have been fired after that game. The team has a lot of talent. Get them a good coach and they can be a successful playoff team.

The Lions could always hire Tom Coughlin for their second half of next season's schedule. I stand next to Tom in the line for AARP card renewal --I'll chat him up next time.;)

oldjudge
12-30-2013, 01:52 PM
John--a little known fact is that Lou Gehrig's birth name was Schwartz. His parents, fearing antisemitism, changed their name shortly after his birth. So, if you add Lou to the list, the Schwartzes did pretty good.

Matthew80
12-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Good fire- they gave him 5 years. That's plenty of time, and there's no shortage of talent, at least at the "skilled positions."

AndyG09
12-30-2013, 02:19 PM
I liked Schwartz, but it was surely time to go. The team took another second half of the season nosedive. They had zero fire. I am hoping we can land a decent coach. The team has some really good talent at many positions, and I'd like to think this is one of the best job openings amongst all the firings.

Best,

Andy

freakhappy
12-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Seems like a decent move, but I think one big reason their team wasn't as successful as maybe they should have been was it seemed to be ran like a fantasy squad. As much as I like points, all they wanted to do was feed Megatron. All of the stats were nice, but it wasn't always the right play to execute. I've kinda lost faith in Stafford this year...just too much of a gunslinger for me...I think they would be better off with more balance and a better game manager behind center.

I think a lot of people have been waiting for Marvin Lewis to be fired for the past few years, but that move never happened and they were one of the better teams this years. Although Schwartz had five years, maybe he wasn't the ultimate problem.

quinnsryche
12-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Shouldn't this be in the water cooler section, not the pre WW2 baseball card section?

frankbmd
12-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Shouldn't this be in the water cooler section, not the pre WW2 baseball card section?

I don't mind this thread on the main board, but you are certainly correct about the water being cooler in Detroit than almost everywhere, except Green Bay of course.:D:D:D

z28jd
12-30-2013, 03:30 PM

I thought so too, that's why I put the baseball facts in there, trying to get it on track. Maybe we could talk about old Tiger managers instead?

Hughie Jennings maybe? Jack Tighe? I have his autograph because he is a hometown boy for me and related to Dots Miller! They have had seven HOF'ers manage in Detroit, can anyone name them all without looking? I got five, knew about one other and one I didn't know

itjclarke
12-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Matt Stafford played baseball as a kid with Clayton Kershaw.

egbeachley
12-30-2013, 06:39 PM
I am completely in the dark on why this thread was even started at all.

freakhappy
12-30-2013, 06:56 PM
We'll call it...the mystery thread!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

deucetwins
12-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Gruden anyone?

freakhappy
12-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Gruden anyone?

I'm surprised he hasn't been crazily pursued by many teams...or maybe he has :o

Looks like my Bucs might get Lovie Smith...I'd take that.

tbob
12-30-2013, 09:56 PM
And yet Ron Gardenhire of the Twins has lost 280 regular season games the last 3 years and gets a contract extension. Guess it just shows it's better to coach/manage in Minnesota than Detroit...

Lgarza99
12-30-2013, 10:15 PM
When Schwartz ran down Jim Harbaugh after Harbaugh slapped him in the chest was classic! :D

Tabe
12-31-2013, 12:47 AM
When Schwartz ran down Jim Harbaugh after Harbaugh slapped him in the chest was classic! :D

Harbaugh pulled on him and smacked him on the back, not the chest. It was absolutely done with contempt and/or malice. I'm a huge fan of Harbaugh going back to his days as a Michigan QB but he was way in the wrong that day and Schwartz had every right to be really mad.

itjclarke
12-31-2013, 12:49 AM

I concur.. and considering you're from the Bay Area, I presume for the same reason.:D

... even Tyrus wanted in on that melée