PDA

View Full Version : Online Baseball Card grader

rdwyer
12-29-2013, 02:51 PM
How hard would it be to create a website where you can upload scans of your cards, and it tells you what grade the scans show? Would like to be able to get T205 and T206's at first. Is it possible?

T206Collector
12-29-2013, 03:32 PM
More useless than possible. One of the benefits of TPG is the ability to tell what is wrong with a card that you simply can't see from a scan, which can also be photoshopped.

If you're buying a digital image, then sure. Otherwise, not at all helpful.

vintagetoppsguy
12-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Agreed. Scans do not always pick up tiny specks of paper loss or surface wrinkles. Nor does it have the ability to look at the paper stock for counterfeit cards.

rdwyer
12-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the info. They're doing everything else on the web, just thought it might be possible today.

GehrigFan
12-30-2013, 11:16 AM
As the former head of BVG/BGS, this is something we thought about. I actually think this is possible for a large number of cards, albeit with 90% accuracy or so. Counterfeits should be easily picked out by the pixilation differences, but subtle surface flaws could very easily be difficult to pick up in some instances. Now, I don't think it could ever replace "hard" grading, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone eventually offers it as a way of pre-scanning cards. i.e., I see it as more of a service to sort out cards that are or are not candidates for hard grading.

Thanks for the info. They're doing everything else on the web, just thought it might be possible today.